**Baddass' Guide to the 19" TFT Market!**

Man of Honour
OP
i dont hate Sony, just i dont think it's a good idea to recommend the HS95P for a gamers TFT :) Any of those you have picked out would be fine for gaming. Be wary of the mix up with the Xerox atm, if you were guaranteed the P-MVA panel then this would be the best bet imo. Top panel and a top screen, but maybe best to hold off until the mix up is sorted out.

Out of the others, i really don't think you can go wrong with the excellent Samsung 913N @ £200. No need to pay any more for the VX924 and 930BF as the drop in response time doesnt really add much to real use performance anyway. The 913N would be a good choice

Associate
Baddass, You are no bad man at all........In fact I'm VERY grateful for your help in all of this. As I have said...if it were not for the good advice given to me, I would have made a very expensive mistake. So Big thanks goes to you. Off subject I know but I am also deciding to go sli or crossfire with a dfi mobo either way, do you have any thoughts?

Cheers again

Bodger

Man of Honour
OP
tbh i'm not really up on the whole GFX card scene, i would advise to have a look in that section of the forum. If it's monitor advice though, i'm always happy to help :)

Permabanned
hey badass im considering a monitor for watching movies mainly, but also the odd game or two. Currently I've got a short list of two:

Viewsonic VX912
or
DELL Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Midnight Grey (29082) (MO-000-DE)

Have you got any suggestions? :p

Associate
shaggy, i've got 2x vx912's and they're great, they also come in 8ms variety now (big sticker on the box) *highly* recommened. i've bought 2 of these for home, 5 for one place i work and 2 for another and they've all been perfect, no dead pixels and they come with dvi and vga cables too. couple their sleek black and silver looks with a nice saitek gaming keypad, a black glass icemat mouse mat and a decent mouse and you'll have a nice looking setup just like mine ;)

Man of Honour
OP
out of those 2, if it is primarily for movies then i would definitely recommend the Dell 2005FPW. The only thing to bare in mind is that this model has a history of bad backlight bleeding, so be wary fo that. Overall though, the extra size, the widescreen format at the technology used, really lend themselves to movies. The panel is an S-IPS technology which offer much wider viewing angles and smoother movie playback than TN Film technology can (The VX912 uses TN Film). The panel should still be fine for gaming, especially if it is oly occasional, and many people find their 2005FPW / 2001FP's perfectly fine for gaming. The VX912 is a nice monitor, but for movies, the Dell really offers a lot more

hth

Permabanned
cheers for the quick replies Hydra and badass. Do Viewsonic have a 20 inch version of their monitor?

I do like to play the odd game, so is the Dell able to cope with that sort of usage?

Man of Honour
OP
yes, most people find it fine for gaming. Perhaps not as fast as the 19" range, but it's all down to the individual. For occasional gaming you should have no problems. Viewsonic have some larger models, but none are as affordable as the Dell tbh. There are some other new monitors on their way soon including a nice new BenQ 20" WS featuring a new overdriven panel. These will prob be a bit more money, and maybe you dont need the extra fast response time anyway. It's very hard to tell.

Permabanned
Baddass said:
yes, most people find it fine for gaming. Perhaps not as fast as the 19" range, but it's all down to the individual. For occasional gaming you should have no problems. Viewsonic have some larger models, but none are as affordable as the Dell tbh. There are some other new monitors on their way soon including a nice new BenQ 20" WS featuring a new overdriven panel. These will prob be a bit more money, and maybe you dont need the extra fast response time anyway. It's very hard to tell.

youve answered my question perfectly. Looks like the Dell it is for me.

Thanks.

Associate
Hi, (first post)

Been looking around at the different reviews on TFTs on the forums, but haven't come across any on the SONY SDM-P234 (and OCuk stopped stocking it). A friend of mine has got one, and it seems great with no ghosting in FPS games, while still looking great in desktop/films.

For 23"-24" Widescreen TFTs, whats the main contenders should I be looking for, or looking out for to come?

I'm a fairly heavy FPS gamer and so don't want any ghosting, yet want decent image at the end of the day (oh perfect world).

I've been using on the old 17" Hitachi 12-16ms(?)TFTs which seemed to start off the whole gaming TFT non ghosting arena, and its been pretty good (1-2pixels might be going). I'm pretty clueless when it comes to TFTs, i know brightness/and response times are things to look out for, but thats about it :p

Anyway, any info would be great thanks!

Soldato
Hi

Welcome to the forums :)

At that kind of size, the DELL Ultrasharp 2405FPW 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Midnight Grey (30906) (MO-001-DE) would be the monitor of choice

It's been getting rave reviews about it's image quality, viewing angles and gaming performance. You can get it here

Man of Honour
OP
Hi Yurka, welcome to OcUK. At the moment, there is litte variety in the 23-24" market. There are some new 23" WS models emerging over the next year with improved response times (according to marketing) which might be worth looking into. These include models based on AU Optronic's new 23" P-MVA panel with a response time at 8ms. The most popular model right now is the Dell 2405FPW as ajgoodfellow has said, since the price of this is much cheaper than any other competitors. It's a great screen, and there is a LOT of info on the front page of this sticky about it :)

Associate
Thanks for the replies, I saw a lot of people have had problems with Dell TFTs, and have been sending them back. This problem across all their models or just the 19/20" version?

Soldato
I have a Sony sdm-p234. This has a response rate of 16ms and a contrast ratio of 500:1.
Sony have now released the sdm-p234B. This has a response rate of 8ms but a contrast ratio of 350:1.

Is it worth making the switch? Note that I'm also thinking about downsizing for a shuttle XP 17 (8ms version).

Man of Honour
OP
probably not as along as you're happy with your current screen? If your current model is responsive enough for you in gaming then i wouldnt bother simply to get the latest spec on paper.

Associate
Badass, which DELL 1905FP monitor panel is it that's on the OcUk store? It lists 20ms as it's response time so I presume it's that one?

Do they still make he 20ms one? Is that still knocking about?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom