**Baddass' Guide to Windows Performance, Optimization, Security and Tweaking**

Associate
Just having a browse through this forum on ocuk and ive been reading about the largesystemcache thread and getting it to work etc.

Going back now a while i did this tweak when i had 512mb of ram about a year ago and it worked fine..a few months later i went upto a gig of ram and tried the same tweak(of course not reading the warnings about possible data corruption) and yep when i rebooted and tried to log on to my user it came up with a write delay falure msg..in short i had to reformat cause there was no other option.

It was a while back now thinking about it but reading the tweak about largesystemcache and setting it to 1 reminds me of one of the biggest headaches ive ever had with our pc here in the last 2 years or so when trying to tweak it lol..:eek: and like we all do with pc's over time u live and learn with em.

Catch ya later all..:)

Soldato
Big thanks to Baddass

Just reinstalled following the correct install order + a few other tweaks and I'm now up and running smoother than ever, solved my slower than should be CPU problem and gave me a nice bonus 650 2d01 marks and 300 3d03 marks.

Top Stuff:p

Thanks again
The Loaf!

Soldato
A suggestion. In the section talking about removing items from startup, its worthwhile taking a peek in HKEY_CURRENT_USER as well as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Some programs try to make themselves specific to an individual account, even on machines with only one user account on them.

Soldato
Hi,

This is a very helpfull thread!!!

Now i am really in a dilemma over my firewall and antivirus software for my new comp.

I was looking at

Firewall - Zonealarm Pro

Virus Scanner - NOD32

Now after seeing those results on the virus scanning and reading other forum posts i may go for this:

Firewall - Outpost Pro or Kaspersky Firewall

Virus Scanner - Kaspersky 5.0

Now I am not sure if this is better or not?

Also is the Outpost firewall better than the Kaspersky one??

Associate
Baddass said:
u basically leave everything ticked that u DO want on your system. Each tick in the list is either full black tick if everything in that subsection is to be on ** system, or light grey tick if some of the section is installed. Go thru each section and choose only the bits u want installed.

for example i removed the ticks altogether from Windows Messenger, Outlook Express and indexing as i dont want them on my system at all :)

hth

and no as far as i could tell, direct x is b4 GFX drivers but mobo ones should be very early on

I couldn't install the 4.27 nforce drivers before directx as the latest version was required for them to actually work. Was a bit annoying as I use the onboard LAN to connect to the internet (to download direct x)

Soldato
Thanks for this thread Badass :D Top Man! I had never noticed it before and was planniing to do a little bit of cable management and a wee bit of tweaking, now I can do the lot without trudging all over the net :p
5 stars from me buddy :cool:

Back
Top Bottom