**Baddass' Guide to Windows Performance, Optimization, Security and Tweaking**

Soldato
Anti virus listings needs updating i think as the last edit was in 2005. Things may have changed somewhat. Anyone up to the challange lol. :)
I wouldn't mind having a go at this. Got plenty of time on my hands.

Let me know what sources to look at to get the facts from. I assume you mean the results with each av having a %age score from a test? Or do you mean just naming the top ten antivirus packages as per reputation?

Soldato
A good way to test would be to setup a VM machine with an unpatched version of XP in it. Let it faff on the net for a bit, goto a few dodgy sites, then save the state its in.
Load up an AV on it and see what it finds, then move to the next, then the next, ect;
Compare scores like that?

Soldato
You *could* put a little team together to do the same thing and test a single AV each using the same methods, so do yours, then make a guide and then get a load of other users to do the same.

Just an idea....

Associate
Guys do you know about the offline update maker? I always use this tool when I do a clean install, though I'm not one of these people that reinstalls every 5 minutes lol, I believe with a bit of maintenance you can usually keep going indefinitely unless you encounter some really nasty software. Anyway this program will download all Windows updates and let you burn them to a DVD, so when you come to install your new PC, if you make this update DVD first, you don't even have to have it connected to the internet until it is patched and up to date. I don't even connect the network cable until I've done this and installed a firewall.

You can grab offline update maker here (XP and Vista) :- http://www.heise.de/ct/projekte/offlineupdate/

(page is german but util is English)

Associate
thanks a lot for the guide will use this on my next HDD install - is there a VISTA guide?

I'll second this, i'm going to get my new system built tomorrow and install Vista- it would be excellent to have a guide on how to improve it/get rid of anything useless as I haven't got the slightest clue about it!

Soldato
I've used plenty of these hints and tips and they've all worked a treat. This is a thread I keep coming back to and then I realised I hadn't said thank you. So a big thank you from me Baddass for putting this together (and all of the other posters who have contributed), it's a real gem of a thread:D

Al:D

Back
Top Bottom