Baffled with internet speeds

Soldato
Never been so confused about a computer issue in my life.

Recently had Fibre installed, paying for 120mb / 24mb.

The fibre modem was supplied and I have connected both the additionally supplied router and my own Asus AC68U-DSL router, with the same outcome in this instance.

The router (i'm currently using the Asus one) is connected via WAN over ethernet and via a wired connection to the router with a Surface Pro 4, I can get at most 90mb d/l over speedtest.net with a consistent 23/4mb upload. The download varies often, on average however it is around 60-80mb, with the upload ALWAYS being the expected 24mb ish.

Over wi-fi from the surface pro again, standing next to the router, I get around a similar d/l and upload (perhaps 10mb or so less, but I put this down to wireless overhead than anything else).

So my provider obviously have some work to do to increase the speed coming into the property to give me my 120mb promised.

However, what is totally baffling me, is that my PC that is upstairs, over TP-Link AC2000 homeplugs can only get 50mb d/l, when the homeplugs themselves report 700-800mb connection in the TP-Link app. Additionally using an AC wifi usb adaptor, this PC can get 30mb d/l, 24/mb upload, whereas an Xbox One S right next to it can get 60mb d/l over wi-fi. reporting a 75% reception.

I just now connected the Surface Pro to the homeplug the pc was connected to and that gets approx 70-80mb via speedtest, so how can this be getting more throughput over the same connection??

Why is my pc connecting to the internet so slowly? It has gigabit network ports and windows reports a gigabit connection (backed up by the TP-Link app stating a connection between the homeplugs of circa 800mb, and the Realtek network drivers are the latest available, yet the speed of it's connection to the internet doesn't reflect this.

Any ideas please how I can resolve this?

Soldato
Who's your ISP?

If you're using speedtest.net pick one server that gives consistent results and always use it.

Wireless AC comes in many flavours. The PC getting exactly half of what the Xbox is getting could just be better wireless hardware (AC600 vs AC1200 for example). The Xbox probably has more capable aerials as well. What USB adapter is it?

The 800Mbit reported by the homeplugs won't translate to anything near 800Mbit of actual throughput (as reported at OS level). Homeplug is a bit of a lottery, something as simple as moving the adapter to a socket further away from where the PC is plugged in could help.

Soldato
OP
Who's your ISP?

If you're using speedtest.net pick one server that gives consistent results and always use it.

Wireless AC comes in many flavours. The PC getting exactly half of what the Xbox is getting could just be better wireless hardware (AC600 vs AC1200 for example). The Xbox probably has more capable aerials as well. What USB adapter is it?

The 800Mbit reported by the homeplugs won't translate to anything near 800Mbit of actual throughput (as reported at OS level). Homeplug is a bit of a lottery, something as simple as moving the adapter to a socket further away from where the PC is plugged in could help.

That makes sense, but then why would the surface get better throughput over the homeplugs than the PC does? FYI, the PC is directly connected to a gigabit ethernet port and the surface via a USB 2.0 ethernet adaptor... it just doesn't make sense!

Man of Honour
Run a command prompt as administrator on the PC and enter netsh interface tcp show global and paste results.

Soldato
OP
Run a command prompt as administrator on the PC and enter netsh interface tcp show global and paste results.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh interface tcp show global
Querying active state...

TCP Global Parameters
----------------------------------------------
Receive-Side Scaling State : enabled
Chimney Offload State : disabled
NetDMA State : disabled
Direct Cache Access (DCA) : disabled
Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : normal
Add-On Congestion Control Provider : none
ECN Capability : disabled
RFC 1323 Timestamps : disabled
Initial RTO : 3000
Receive Segment Coalescing State : disabled
Non Sack Rtt Resiliency : disabled
Max SYN Retransmissions : 2
TCP Fast Open : enabled

I just re-arranged the room to enable me to plug the homeplug in a different socket, now only getting 35mb... with the TP-Link app reporting a much lower than previous 435Mbps.

Hmm!

Soldato
If you want a direct comparison connect the PC using the USB adapter.

Powerline adapters can be fussy and are very susceptible to interference. It could just because the PC is plugged into the mains and the Surface isn't.

It is worth trying the adapters in different sockets, and ideally the adapters should have a socket to themselves (even if that means leaving a socket empty on a double socket).

Caporegime
120Mbps down and 24Mbps up sounds like Seethelight, who are clowns. This is the reason why you don't get the speeds you pay for.

Soldato
OP
120Mbps down and 24Mbps up sounds like Seethelight, who are clowns. This is the reason why you don't get the speeds you pay for.

Ha, indeed it is. Saying that though, they've been excellent so far, I'm calling them tomorrow to discuss my more general speed issue I currently have.

Just trying to understand how my LAN cannot reach anywhere near the fibre speed.

As another example, my iphone can get a transfer rate of 400mb to the router, yet cannot get over 60mb of internet?

Associate
Unless you can do a test with gigabit ethernet you're not going to know if it's an internal issue or ISP. Wireless and Powerline aren't reliable enough to give accurate results and will fluctuate all over the place depending on environmental conditions. If you don't have a laptop or anything else to test with then just temporarily move the desktop to the router and do a series of tests. Seems a waste of time contacting the ISP until you know what the cause is.

Soldato
OP
Unless you can do a test with gigabit ethernet you're not going to know if it's an internal issue or ISP. Wireless and Powerline aren't reliable enough to give accurate results and will fluctuate all over the place depending on environmental conditions. If you don't have a laptop or anything else to test with then just temporarily move the desktop to the router and do a series of tests. Seems a waste of time contacting the ISP until you know what the cause is.

Surely an iPhone 6S next to the router which is an AC 1900 spec, should easily be able to get greater than 60mb? Surely that means it's an external issue? It's connected at more than 400mb to the router...

Soldato
OP
Yes you can. Test with your PC connected directly to the router.

Surface ethernet is USB I assume.. which is already a no-no if you trying to get max speed.

Powerline is a no-no-no :p

I do not have an ethernet cable long enough / don't want to move my entire PC to do so.

Surely with WI-FI AC speeds being so much faster than my 120mb fibre connection, I should be able to get the maximum bandwidth that is coming in via the fibre by standing next to the router... I'm only getting about 60mb (so half what I am expecting). That surely can only indicate a problem with the incoming fibre?

Soldato
OP
Sure, but it's not going to fluctuate that much. The throughput between the phone and the router doesn't (measured using Sweetspots app on the phone), so why should the internet connection?

Back
Top Bottom