Baffled with internet speeds

Man of Honour
Loving the arrival of the bit/byte police, where this thread is an example of where no one has committed the offence pointed out.

The same can't be said for the use of "Ethernet" however... :p :o

Short answer to OP: UTP cable is brilliant, wireless and home plugs are unreliable. Anyone trying to deduce why different devices with wildly varying hardware achieve different results on speedtest.net is going to have a bad time.

Soldato
"mbps" = milli bits per second :rolleyes:

Said nobody, ever on this forum. ;) I think it is more obvious when you make the clear distinction between bits and bytes (for clarity) to use also a lower case "M" as well as the "B". Nobody tends to mind this. But yes, if we are being picky.
Anyway, as above this is detracting from the actual questions posed, of which really have mainly been answered.

Soldato
I'm not being picky in the slightest. m=milli, M=mega. It's a fact, and mixing them up makes a difference, unlike spelling or grammar errors. Tbh, I would expect a forum full of computer geeks to get computer related SI units correct every time. Plus, it bugs my OCD :p

Man of Honour
I'm not being picky in the slightest. m=milli, M=mega. It's a fact, and mixing them up makes a difference, unlike spelling or grammar errors. Tbh, I would expect a forum full of computer geeks to get computer related SI units correct every time. Plus, it bugs my OCD :p
Except almost no one ever says mbps and means millibits per second. In order to have any kind of normal communication with other humans, one needs to appreciate context. In the context of this thread, MBps (megabyte) and Mbps (megabit) are the most likely to be used, and it's therefore reasonable to be careful about which one you use, and to clarify which one someone means. I've never heard anyone refer to network speeds in millibits per second, or any system represent network speed that way, therefore it's fair to say that it's assumed that when presented with "mbps" someone means the extremely commonly referred to standard measure for network speed, megabits per second. Now get back on topic :p

Soldato
Can you transfer a file wirelessly at over 120mbps on your network? How did you test that?

pioneer2000, you still haven't said how you're measuring 'fact 3', is that speedtest.net or similar? In another post you were talking about LAN transfers. The latter is a more reliable way of testing your peak WiFi speeds as you can take speedtest out as a bottleneck.

Make a network share of some kind on a (gigabit) wired PC, ideally off a SSD or ramdisk or something else very fast, and do some LAN transfers to the iphone. That'll really tell you how quick it's connected.

In the end though this is all a classic case of having far more theoretical performance than you actually know what to do with. If you can't even think of a real world need to push 100+ Mbit to your phone then why are you worrying about it? :p

Having a quick scan of this thread that's definitely the first thing that comes to mind.

OP appears to being confused at every step of the way by a basic misunderstanding of what to expect combined with a fundamental misunderstanding of the information he's looking at and trying to understand.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom