Poll: Bahrain Grand Prix 2018, Sakhir - Race 2/21

Rate the 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
Theres an expectation (Rightly or wrongly) that he will deliver when Lewis doesn't, as much as i disliked Niko Rosberg, he had the ability to do this, anybody stepping into his shoes will be held to the same standard, Niko was also much more aggressive.

Watched the race last night on return from my trip up into the Angus Glens (beautiful day may I add), I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised, it wasnt a terrible race, it wont go down as a classic by any standard but it did manage to hold my attention. Glad to hear the Mechanic is doing ok after surgery, above average race gets above average score, 6/10, would have got a 7 if it wasnt for the anticlimax that was Bottas' failed attack on Seb at the end, however got to give Vettel his due, he managed that car well on those softs, genuinely didnt think he'd make it let alone win.

Meh, Rosberg failed to perform on many occasions, the difference was that Ferrari was drastically less competitive to Merc before 2017 than they are now. Rosberg would be dropping points and struggling more in races against more competitive cars.

It's an in general unfair comparison because of the difference in competitiveness. People seem to forget about races like Hungary where Rosberg couldn't pass Vergne, pitted and Hamilton passed Vergne like 1-2 laps later, then held off Rosberg with fresh tires... Rosberg whining about not being let by a team mate he was over a second behind and couldn't close up on then he pitted again, got even faster tires and with a monumental difference in tire performance couldn't pass Hamilton again.

If Rosberg made that pass on Vergne he would and should have beaten Hamilton easily. There were numerous other races he struggled for pace compared to Hamilton or couldn't make a huge advantage pay off, he also hit his team mate 3 times, cheated in qualifying in Monaco and several other things all because he was performing comparatively poorly to Hamilton and was under so much pressure. As such with a much more competitive Ferrari, having Ferrari's start ahead of him more often and fairly poor race craft on track without a huge car advantage, it's likely Rosberg would have been under more pressure and made more mistakes in the past year as well.

Bottas isn't a particularly fast driver and no top experienced driver needs over a year to adapt to a car, but Rosberg had it ludicrously easy while Bottas actually has competition from someone other than Hamilton. Personally I also think Hamilton drove better last season than the previous three as well.

Caporegime
The year Rosberg won there was no contest, the other years he fought against opponents about as matched as now. At no time was he so far off as Bottas is. Rosberg was upper middle tier among the drivers; Bottas is mid-tier at absolute best.

Caporegime
I think most of the drivers on the grid could do at least equivalent job of Bottas.
He's not terrible, but just mediocre.

I guess he's passive so no team problems like with Rosberg, but it certainly takes a lot away from races.

Riccardo would have at least had a lunge.

Man of Honour
All Rosberg's fault. If he'd actually just said "Hey guys, I'm going to retire if I win the WDC. Giving you the heads up." then Merc could have gotten someone in. The way he just suddenly dropped that bombshell was so unprofessional and really unfair to the team that had just helped him win the title, so they had to settle for whoever they could get. Due to the Merc-Williams engine deal, the easiest option was Bottas. Sadly not the best driver by any margin.

Caporegime
All Rosberg's fault. If he'd actually just said "Hey guys, I'm going to retire if I win the WDC. Giving you the heads up." then Merc could have gotten someone in. The way he just suddenly dropped that bombshell was so unprofessional and really unfair to the team that had just helped him win the title, so they had to settle for whoever they could get. Due to the Merc-Williams engine deal, the easiest option was Bottas. Sadly not the best driver by any margin.

Rosberg couldn't do that and rely on the backing of the team until the end. I just don't find the idea that he should have done it credible.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Try going to your employer and saying 'I'm going to retire in x time if y happens" and see how that works out for you!
Actually, in my experience giving them plenty of notice about retirement is almost always good.

Clearly you need to be at the end of your career or if x doesn’t work out, you don’t get “let go” and be up the Swanny with no paddle.

Caporegime
Actually, in my experience giving them plenty of notice about retirement is almost always good.

Clearly you need to be at the end of your career or if x doesn’t work out, you don’t get “let go” and be up the Swanny with no paddle.
It was the fact that he just recently signed another contract although I can't remember if it was a two or three year deal. Hulkenberg would have sold his parents for that seat.

Soldato
Rosberg couldn't do that and rely on the backing of the team until the end. I just don't find the idea that he should have done it credible.

So for his own advantage he ended up ******** on the people who paid him millions and gave him his dream of a WDC. It's the same level of classless deviousness he displayed throughout his F1 career.

Soldato
It was the fact that he just recently signed another contract although I can't remember if it was a two or three year deal. Hulkenberg would have sold his parents for that seat.

This is sport. You only need to look at the number of higher level sportsmen who move before their contracts are up across all sports. Rosberg could have given more notice, but then again given the stress on him at the end as he pushed towards the title, the last thing he would have considered would be telling the team he was about to leave if he won. He didn't owe them anything, and presumably Mercedes agreed as there were no financial wranglings reported. At least he didn't go to a competitor - or perhaps Mercedes would have been happier if he had!

So for his own advantage he ended up ******** on the people who paid him millions and gave him his dream of a WDC. It's the same level of classless deviousness he displayed throughout his F1 career.

I don't think advantage is the correct description. Benefit, yes. Advantage, no. He didn't leverage his position to move to a better deal or a better car. He just walked away.

Damon Hill wanted out from Jordan, and was going to retire mid-season until he was persuaded otherwise after his last British grand prix. In the end, he pretty much just bailed in the last race and said he'd had enough. Slightly different, between half a race and a two year contract, but when you decide you're going to stop, generally people just stop. Mansell walked away from McLaren after just two races in his final year.

Soldato
This is sport. You only need to look at the number of higher level sportsmen who move before their contracts are up across all sports. Rosberg could have given more notice, but then again given the stress on him at the end as he pushed towards the title, the last thing he would have considered would be telling the team he was about to leave if he won. He didn't owe them anything, and presumably Mercedes agreed as there were no financial wranglings reported. At least he didn't go to a competitor - or perhaps Mercedes would have been happier if he had!

I don't think advantage is the correct description. Benefit, yes. Advantage, no. He didn't leverage his position to move to a better deal or a better car. He just walked away.

TBH, I kind of understand why Rosberg bailed. He worked so hard, endured massive stress, pulled out all the stop to beat Hamilton, and still only did it with a lot of bad luck on Hamilton's side with poor reliability. Rosberg knew he'd only done it by the skin of his teeth (although to Rosberg, a win is a win), Hamilton was likely to take back the title the next year (as he did even in the face of renewed Ferrari competition), and Rosberg was simply burnt out by he effort of going up against Hamilton. He didn't want that exhausting life again, and with starting a family, his priorities changed.

I still think he treated all his friends and colleagues that worked so hard for his success very badly. Even a heads up to Toto that he was thinking of retiring a few months before the end of the season would have allowed his team to make other arrangements for his vacant seat. Rosberg always seemed to be out for himself over the team, and this is just another example.

Soldato
I can't really disagree with any of that. Whether it is real or not, we only have Rosberg's word on how the retirement came about, and he's been consistent that he only started to think about it when he genuinely thought that the WDC was within his grasp, and something changed then. He won the championship, made his mind up, told his wife two days later and then told Toto two days after that. I personally think that being part of a team for the majority of F1 drivers is only important while they're racing, no matter how ****** that is.

Anyway, enough about Rosberg, I'm certainly not a fan. I still maintain that, were the positions reversed, Bottas would not have won the WDC were he in Rosberg's seat. He hasn't shown nearly enough. I'd love to see Ricciardo in the Mercedes next year.

Soldato
Bottas was not the best available. He'd not shown any promise already. But the real problem is taking him on for a second season, so many better options out there.

Yeah but the team want an easier life. Hamilton has real competition from Vettel- they don't want him to have to also compete with a great number 2 driver too and risk possible DNF's from wheel to wheel shenanigans. Seems like risk management to me. Bottas has also shown he will tow the line for the team.

Internal competition was all well and good between Lewis and Nico when no other team is in contention and merc are gonna win anyway, but it's a different story now.

Damage limitation............

Associate
I think Lewis will retire at the end of this season.

I could see this happening. If this championship goes to the wire and Lewis wins a close fought championship without the perceived car performance edge - absolutely. I think this is how Lewis will want to finish. I might be talking nonsense as the lure of Ferrari or money might just be a temptation. If Vettel and Hamilton were at Ferrari; Well, given that F1 will be a Sky exclusive next year, audience figures are likely to take a significant hit (in the UK), it would certainly be in the best interests of the sport from an audience perspective (including worldwide).

Lewis is driving in his prime and knows it. I know I sound like a fanboy (sorry). Sunday's performance when compared to Lewis of old; is driving with much maturity. I thought he had an issue when Alonso overtook; and then Verstappen elbows out... Lewis reverted to the long game and use experience and car performance to reclaim places lost.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ferrari will not have two number 1 drivers without a significant cultural shift there. If anything Mercedes demonstrated why its not a good idea with all the trouble between Nico and Lewis. Vettle and Weber certainly had their issues also. Even some of the midfield teams had issues last year with drivers taking each other out (or at least trying!).

Associate
Ferrari will not have two number 1 drivers without a significant cultural shift there. If anything Mercedes demonstrated why its not a good idea with all the trouble between Nico and Lewis. Vettle and Weber certainly had their issues also. Even some of the midfield teams had issues last year with drivers taking each other out (or at least trying!).

Two top tier drivers in the same team; from a "team" perspective and value for money is detrimental. Ideologically with the best and most expensive drivers - 1-2's are guaranteed ;)

Don't get me wrong. Vettel and Hamilton in the same team would never end well. Same if Ric or Verstappen were to become team mates of Hamilton or Vettel. I'm not saying that the latter are better, only dog-eat-dog mayhem would ensue.

From a TV perspective...

Back
Top Bottom