Poll: Bahrain Grand Prix 2018, Sakhir - Race 2/21

Rate the 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Its alright, Hamilton didnt lead the Championship until the half way point last year before he went on to win it and the same will happen this year. :)

Soldato
But in any case the penalty was for releasing Kimi's car with the wrong tyre on not crushing the poor guy.
Exactly. The injury was unfortunate but they can't have a different rule for the airgun being dragged up the pit lane, wheel nut falling off, car stopping on track because the nut was cross threaded etc. The catch all is unsafe release and it was applied.

Without wanting to sound blase about what happened it kind of comes with the territory when you are trying to swap 4 wheel in 3 seconds or less in that environment. Things can, and do, go wrong but thankfully injuries are relatively rare.

I thought this was a good race though. Not a classic but it had me gripped to the end so I gave it an 8. My one growing gripe is team radio. I love it... in moderation. By the third instalment of Lewis having a hissy fit melt down it was already getting tedious. Also every time Karun opens his mouth he has to cut himself off because "oh, team radio".

Don
Without wanting to sound blase about what happened it kind of comes with the territory when you are trying to swap 4 wheel in 3 seconds or less in that environment. Things can, and do, go wrong but thankfully injuries are relatively rare.

I think the issue is that when something does go wrong, the pit crew panic and literally have no idea what to do as can't think fast enough in those 3 seconds. It's all fine practicing 100's of pit stops with cold cars in the pit lane, or following installation laps etc, but it's clearly a different animal on cars that have done 20-30 laps, with everything at temperature (and beyond!), and things do get stuck.

Don't know whether it would solve it, but perhaps a minimum pitstop time (e.g. before the light is allowed to go green) e.g. 5 seconds stopped, would at least ease the pressure slightly.

Soldato
After Vettel chose softs and both Mercedes chose mediums in their only pit stops, with Vettel pitting first of the three, unless Vettel had the better lap pace to pit a second time, the result question should have been whether Vettel finished second or third.

Show me video footage of Vettel having serious handling issues on those old tyres near the end, causing his lap times to fall off a cliff, you won't because it did not happen!

I cannot recall which year it was, but sometime during Kimi's time at Renault and possibly at this very track, there was a truly entertaining race where at least his tyres "fell off a cliff" in the final laps.

But yesterday, you could tell me that Ferrari re-painted a set of white mediums and I wouldn't be surprised, given their performance.

It's not specifically that Vettel won that frustrates me, it's that a different strategy call by two teams fighting for podiums should have made the poor choice take their worse race placing medicine, but all that happened was one DRS half-chance overtake attempt by Bottas.

Soldato
The odd thing is, Bottas is driving for his seat next year, either at Mercedes or with another team. Yesterday was the perfect opportunity to show what he is capable of.

Unfortunately for him, I think he did just that.

Soldato
Heh, just reading the transcript of the press conference post-race. Seb putting one of the hacks in their place - emphasis is my own:

The only thing that would have made it better is if he'd got up, dropped a microphone and walked out right after that. Dekker is of course Dutch and therefore one of Verstappen's countrymen, which is presumably why he was attempting to get a rise out of Lewis.

I think SV definitley did this for his dislike of MV rather than to defend Hamilton. :D Max needs to just chill out a bit. He didnt need to keep LH as wide as he did on the outside of the corner, LH was already compromised at the outside so MV shouldve moved back more towards the middle in preperation to make the move finally stick at the next corner due to LH's compromised exit/entrance.

Soldato
The odd thing is, Bottas is driving for his seat next year, either at Mercedes or with another team. Yesterday was the perfect opportunity to show what he is capable of.

I think if he hadn't of smashed his car up and messed his first race up so badly he would've been more aggressive. However he was probably looking at it more like, i can't mess this up so i'll only attack if i know i'll pull it off. Or he's just not close enough to the top tier racers.

Soldato
He should also then have been thinking about it from Vettel's perspective, who definitely would not want a DNF and Hamilton coming second. I'm sure the Vettel wouldn't give up his place easily, but neither would he have put a finish at risk. All Bottas is achieving, race by race, is making Rosberg look even better in hindsight. It is so disappointing.

Soldato
Thats a good point too. DR would be good to have in the car/team. Mercedes must be looking at him as they like the youth appeal that Hamilton brings as they want to get the young'uns/social media generation driving their cars. Plus he seems genuinley likeable.

Caporegime
It's not specifically that Vettel won that frustrates me, it's that a different strategy call by two teams fighting for podiums should have made the poor choice take their worse race placing medicine, but all that happened was one DRS half-chance overtake attempt by Bottas.

That was all that happened because Bottas drove poorly and Vettel drove well.

Caporegime

Yeah. He made a decent move at the start, drove a reasonable race, and then completely showed himself up at the end. It was exactly the performance he didn't need.

Soldato
I think the issue is that when something does go wrong, the pit crew panic and literally have no idea what to do as can't think fast enough in those 3 seconds. It's all fine practicing 100's of pit stops with cold cars in the pit lane, or following installation laps etc, but it's clearly a different animal on cars that have done 20-30 laps, with everything at temperature (and beyond!), and things do get stuck.

Don't know whether it would solve it, but perhaps a minimum pitstop time (e.g. before the light is allowed to go green) e.g. 5 seconds stopped, would at least ease the pressure slightly.
A limit on the number of people allowed in the pit lane would help as it is neigh on impossible to visually track what all those people are doing at once. Less people would = longer pit time though. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing TBH.

Soldato
I dont get the hate for Bottas in this race, we know he is very much a number 2 driver and isn't the best on the grid but he was never sold as such. When Merc got Bottas he was teh next best available, everyone else better than him was under contract. Williams also needed the money....

He also ultimately forced Vettle to go long by matching his pace on the medium in the early part of the 2nd stint. It's not like Lewis was catching the both very quickly and he had much newer rubber on his car. Many of the other cars bailed off the medium pretty quickly compared to what Bottas and Vettle did. The Merc is also not very good in dirty air and Vettle drove a great well managed race.

Soldato
Theres an expectation (Rightly or wrongly) that he will deliver when Lewis doesn't, as much as i disliked Niko Rosberg, he had the ability to do this, anybody stepping into his shoes will be held to the same standard, Niko was also much more aggressive.

Watched the race last night on return from my trip up into the Angus Glens (beautiful day may I add), I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised, it wasnt a terrible race, it wont go down as a classic by any standard but it did manage to hold my attention. Glad to hear the Mechanic is doing ok after surgery, above average race gets above average score, 6/10, would have got a 7 if it wasnt for the anticlimax that was Bottas' failed attack on Seb at the end, however got to give Vettel his due, he managed that car well on those softs, genuinely didnt think he'd make it let alone win.

Back
Top Bottom