Baldur’s Gate 3 | OT |

Soldato
OP
Some PSA for anyone looking to break down “sturdy walls” as I could not for the life of me find an answer on Google.

Eldritch Blast worked a treat.

Soldato
Man. I’m at 85 hours and still going. Jesus, this game is long.

I’m 75hrs in and only just starting act 2.

I’ve been exploring the hell out of act one and mopping up all the loose ends.

Not sure how long act 2 and onwards is, but I’ve already had my moneys worth from this.

I can’t put it down to be honest. It’s really clicked with me and drawn me into the story, world and lore in a way I don’t think I’ve experienced since Skyrim first came out (I put over 300hrs into Skyrim).

Some PSA for anyone looking to break down “sturdy walls” as I could not for the life of me find an answer on Google.

Eldritch Blast worked a treat.

It is very useful for dealing damage to the environment and fire bolt is also good for knocking down barricades.

If you level Wyll in a certain way you can get the repelling blast and agonising blast additions to EB which is super useful.

Soldato
Just finished this with a total playtime of 220 hours.

What a game!

Pretty pleased with the outcome as I managed what I think was a pretty good ending for all the characters.

The final hours were frustrated by a bug though. I’d spent all game gathering allies only to get to the end game and be unable to use them. The call companions option just wasn’t there for me. Wasn’t even listed as an action to add to my radial.

So it was a hard slog to the finish line. Really hard.

I’m not sure what I’ve missed but my game completion is only showing 75%. Pretty sure I did everything though. Perhaps it’s due to the path I took? For example I saved the grove and destroyed the goblin camp, not vice versa.

I finally got through the portal and into the last Netherbrain area but only had 3 characters leftl, all of whom were nearly dead. Because of the inability to call allies the fight leading to this point was a grueller, so I had no powerful attacks left, and was low on potions and scrolls. Trying to knock off 300 health was very tricky but I got there in the end. Fortunately I had Shadowheart who could summon a spirit axe. Wouldn’t you know it, I got the brain down to 10hp with just one play left before it dominated me, which was a single swipe from the spirit axe.

Critical miss!!

Noooooooo!!

Fortunately, I had a save from a few mins before, and had a carbon copy of a run and got the brain down to 10hp again. This time the axe landed and boom! No more Netherbrain!

It was a great feeling given how impossible the fight had felt. I was getting battered by a dragon, hard hitting mimic things and as if that wasn’t hard enough, chuffing Illithids everywhere spamming magic missile. As if that wasn’t hard enough, reinforcements and artillery too!

Not sure if the end game was supposed to be this hard or if it had been weighted because the game thought I’d have additional allies to summon.

I got through it in the end, but it felt like the enemies were being proper cheaty.

Indeed, if I have one criticism it is the fact that in some fights, the enemies seem to have bottomless actions and spell slots and are not playing to the same rules as you are.

Soldato
OP
Aye glad you enjoyed it. It’s definitely my goty for last year. I’m surprised you made it through the last gauntlet without the help of your allies. That was some tough battles. And the enemies just keep piling on

I lost most of my characters to the brain as I didn’t realise the ledges they were stood on could be destroyed :D arse clenching moment as I only had one character left to deal the final blow!

Soldato
Aye glad you enjoyed it. It’s definitely my goty for last year. I’m surprised you made it through the last gauntlet without the help of your allies. That was some tough battles. And the enemies just keep piling on

I lost most of my characters to the brain as I didn’t realise the ledges they were stood on could be destroyed :D arse clenching moment as I only had one character left to deal the final blow!

Yeah - loved it. It felt cheap in some places, but overall it’s kept me hooked for 220hrs. I’ve not played anything else at all. That is how deep I’ve got with this.

I’ve never really done anything D&D related. Played Divinity Original Sin briefly, but couldn’t take to it.

This has been a refreshing change for me and has had me fully engrossed. When it ended I sat through the end credits and reflected on the journey and felt both glad to have ended it but also a little sad. This game is massive and has been a great mix of exploration, learning the mechanics, story and character development and battles.

Regarding the last battles, it took me all day to get from the allies gathering room to the end credits. The first massive battle I kited almost everything out through thorns and blade barrier at the first archway into the castle area. Then once through the doors at the other end (behind the spectator) I got through that part pretty quickly by just legging it! My main area of trouble was the top of the brain - had to reload and try different things over and over again. I was getting annihilated. My team was Karlach, Gale, Shadowheart, my main (Rogue with dual hand crossbows) and The Emperor.

Gale and Karlach died on the brain. I got to the brain core with Emperor, my main and Shadowheart. It was a battle of attrition to get the portal open. As soon as I triggered the spell the enemy focused on Emperor and kept killing him (I trusted him to use the stones). So I just had to persist with with loads of revives and healing. Luckily Karlach was an absolute trooper and kept the dragon and other adds busy so my main could chip away at the Illithid conjurers. Fortunately he had the health amulet from the house of hope and could withstand the magic missile barrages quite well. I used tons of potions and healing spell slots and all my characters were nearly dead when they got through the portal. But I managed to keep all 3 alive in the brain core by moving across platforms.

Strangely after I killed the brain, Karlach and Gale instant revived and were at the end sequence on the docks. I was super happy about that as I thought I’d lost them for good.

Really liked the end party too. Nice touch and was a nice feature to catch up with everyone again.

Back
Top Bottom