Ballistix Sport LT Overclocking

Associate
Post 509 had R9 3900X, when moved to a R9 5900X same RAM kit nailed same profile with same voltages. Moved to a R7 5800X3D recently, with ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero.

Knocked:-

tFAW from 24 to 16
tWRRD from 7 to 6
tWRWRSD from 7 to 6
tWRWRDD from 6 to 4
tRDRDSD from 5 to 4
tRDRDDD from 4 to 3

Made no benching results difference.

CPU/RAM will hold 3800/1900 at stock SOC/VDDG/VDDP/VDIMM/VTTDDR, but slight bumps on SOC/VDDG/VDDP yielded less run to run variance in benches so kept them.

CeRwle0.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I have 4 year old Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB RAM (BLS2K16G4D32AESE) that's gone bad, running it at stock speed produces errors on one of the sticks. I submitted an RMA request with Crucial and they said that as it's end of life they will replace it with the latest model (CT16G4DFRA32A) which provides superior performance and reliability. This replacement model is clearly inferior though, it's CL22 and has no heatsink.

I have to pay for postage and in addition may get charged additional import fees. If anyone has RMA'd Crucial RAM before did you get hit with import fees and if so how much did you have to pay?

Man of Honour
^ Never RMA'd overseas but I would not accept CL22 sticks with JEDEC timings as a replacement, saying it has superior performance to the CL16 kit is taking the mick.
This. And also probably the newer high density chips which have terrible tertiary timings as well

Man of Honour
which provides superior performance and reliability
Wow, that is nonsense! They're giving you the kind of stick that Dell or HP use to replace a premium gaming product.

They could at least give you Crucial Pro which has a heatsink.

Last edited:
Associate
After pointing out that it had slower timings than my existing RAM and had no heatsink they offered to replace it with CP16G4DFRA32A, and said "Performance is identical to or exceeds the specifications of your returning module(s)". It still has slow CL22 timings but at least it has a heatsink. It looks like they don't manufacture fast DDR4 anymore and haven't kept any reserve stock for warranty claims.

Associate
Shouldn't the correct course of action be a refund if they can't give you a replacement of equal or better performance?
I told them that the one with the heatsink still had slow CL22 timings, then they offered a FMV (fair market value) coupon of £46.79 that can only be used on uk.crucial.com within 90 days. Not much use really because they don't sell fast DDR4 anymore and you can't even buy the slow CL22 kit with that amount. Not sure how they calculate FMV but the most recent eBay auction for the same kit as mine went for £57 and you don't have any warranty buying second hand.

Back
Top Bottom