Barbie (2023)

Associate
I wouldn't write it off so soon! Meant to be very subversive from what I've heard and Greta Gerwig is proving to be quite the Director. Lady Bird was my favorite flick the year it came out.

Soldato
I wouldn't write it off so soon! Meant to be very subversive from what I've heard and Greta Gerwig is proving to be quite the Director. Lady Bird was my favorite flick the year it came out.

Don't bet on it - PG13 rating, and produced by Warner & Mattel - I doubt they're going to be particularly satirical or subversive about one of their prime products.

Honestly, from the thread title I thought this was going to be a flick about Klaus Barbie... I might have watched that one.

Associate
Don't bet on it - PG13 rating, and produced by Warner & Mattel - I doubt they're going to be particularly satirical or subversive about one of their prime products.

Honestly, from the thread title I thought this was going to be a flick about Klaus Barbie... I might have watched that one.

On the contrary, Barbie is a prime candidate for a subversive take considering the political climate were currently in. Mattel won't give a damn about how it plays, just look at all the dross animated movies they've attached her name too. All marketing is good marketing, especially if it plays well to critics who love a bit of perversion. Don't know how the rating is indicative of its quality either :confused:

Can't say I'd have watched a flick about Klaus tbh... That documentary was sickening enough...

Just watched the second trailer. Still looks interesting. That's not to say I'll be there on opening night but you never know.

Last edited:
First time I've seen this thread and the 2 trailers here, and I'm instantly reminded of that infamous Aqua song "Barbie Girl" :) The trailers are also a tad cagey about a storyline. I reckon it will either be an innocent girly flick for young girls/teens (i.e. of no interest to us middle-aged male overclockers), or it will be laiden with Shrek-esque innuendoes like with the Aqua song.

Soldato
Looking forward to taking the family to see this.
Yeh its probably not aimed at your average internet forum male.....I wonder why that might be.

This will probably be one if not the highest grossing film of the year id expect.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Looking forward to taking the family to see this.
Yeh its probably not aimed at your average internet forum male.....I wonder why that might be.

This will probably be one if not the highest grossing film of the year id expect.

From what I saw in the first trailer and what some of the marketing material is, this isn't designed to be a film solely for kids who are into Barbie. Maybe I am wrong. Its supposedly a PG-13 and I doubt many 13+ year old girls are playing with Barbies still...

Back
Top Bottom