Barclays Phonecall

Associate
Got a Phone call from Barclays bank the other day telling me my online banking had been suspended. When i asked why i was told Barclays had detected a Trojan on my PC and for my security my online account had been suspended , i asked how barclays knew this and was told "We have messures in place" and new log in details would be sent after id ran a scan and removed it.

Ive tried logging into my online account but get this:

1175 - Sorry - we are unable to log you into Online Banking. Please call 0845 600 2323 (from outside the UK call +44 2476 842063) quoting code 1175. The people there will be able to help.

So how did Barclays know i had a trojan (i havnt according to nod32 and a online scan with Kaspersky)? Im pretty sure its legit as i only give her my Surname & postcode and she found my other details.

Soldato
I'm not sure if that's the norm these days but it does sound odd to me. I'd give barclays a call on their number (check it against the one you have) and find out what's going on.

Soldato
It may be that you've logged in from several different IP addresses in a short succession that aroused there suspicion. I would find there number (preferably on a statement) and then give them a call.

M.

Associate
Well if it turns out to be legit, which im sure it will then Kudos to Barclays for being so quick to react to a potential threat to your account security.
I would take the inconveniance of a log-in reset over someone hacking my account anyday, even if it did turn out to be a false alarm.

Man of Honour
I had a phonecall from Barclays in OcUK once. The relatively large payment I was making was an unusual activity for my account and it flagged a response from Barclays. They phoned to get confirmation that the payment was authorised by me, in case someone had stolen my card and was using it.

I'm sure some people would have been annoyed, but I was pleased.

Underboss
I had a phonecall from Barclays in OcUK once. The relatively large payment I was making was an unusual activity for my account and it flagged a response from Barclays. They phoned to get confirmation that the payment was authorised by me, in case someone had stolen my card and was using it.

Yes thats ok, but Barclays scanning HIS computer???? IFFY!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I get it all the time.

In fact I rang them up and told them to expect a large transaction to occur in the following hour and they still flagged it :o

Can't blame them for trying to be safe though.

Perhaps they just don't want you to withdraw/spend any money? :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6971731.stm :D

I wonder if they got charged any fees :D

Associate
That's a genuine Barclays number anyway, quote the reference number.

I'd be hazarding a wild guess that when you've logged in previously there has been something untoward about your session that has alerted them. Perhaps your login details have been used by yourself then soon after from another IP in a completely different location, this would seem suspicious to any bank as you should never disclose your details.

Just call the number and ask to get your details reset and sent out to you. If you're ever in doubt about the legitimacy of a bank telephone number, just phone the one on the back of your card and ask to be transferred.

al

Associate
OP
ok well i phoned up the number above and it turns out it was genuine, as she give me another number which matched the number that phoned me. Im stiill yet to find out how Barclays "knew" i had a Trojan.

Soldato
its probably someone else or a trojan/hijacked pcs attempting to log you in

I doubt the person you spoke to is literate in PC security and probably just threw some related words at you.

Permabanned
Notice the page take some time to load?

Its due to new sercurty and a portal.

The rate of fraud is high yet again and they make sure nothing is going on.

Trojan can be a mirror so al data you'd enter can be used by some N))B in Nigeria!

Back
Top Bottom