Bathroom radiator adjustment

Associate
Hey I’ve got a bathroom radiator that never gets that hot, I’ve ensured it’s bled etc. What I want to do is to turn the lock shield side up a little, as I think it might be closed. Looking at the radiator, it’s not your standard turntable lockshield... any ideas how this would be adjusted?

EB4-A6-DA3-388-D-4-F50-B353-2-B1994052-D8-B.jpg

7Ctp2mx

Soldato
I've got a conservatory radiator which only gets hot if practically every other radiator in the house has closed it's valve. Just because it was done as a spur and it's too long a run to get any hot water there if there's any other demand.
Might this be a similar problem?

Associate
OP
It’s in an extension which is the bathroom and likely the last radiator in the run I would say. It would have been added on manually after the other radiators. It doesn’t get no heat, it just doesn’t reach a point to really heat the bathroom and compared to other main radiators it’s about half the heat. The other side is a standard valve that can be turned and it’s on max.

sounds like this may be my issue also ^^

it might be a case of getting a panel heater in there or something.

Associate
You need to either increase the CH pump speed or re-balance the system.

It could also be sludged up if only parts of the radiator are warm.

Associate
OP
It’s a combo boiler, I just had TRVs fitted to all other radiators in the home, and as part of that he balanced the system apparently and flushed it entirely. The bathroom radiator seems the same as before, just limited output of heat. It gets warm all around, limited total heat... Hence why I wanted to adjust the lockshield side of this radiator to increase it a little (obviously keeping note so I can revert back if it unbalanced the whole house), atm every other room has a consistent temperature.

Soldato
It’s in an extension which is the bathroom and likely the last radiator in the run I would say. It would have been added on manually after the other radiators. It doesn’t get no heat, it just doesn’t reach a point to really heat the bathroom and compared to other main radiators it’s about half the heat. The other side is a standard valve that can be turned and it’s on max.

sounds like this may be my issue also ^^

it might be a case of getting a panel heater in there or something.

Yeah, I'm thinking of just removing the radiator in our conservatory altogether and replacing it with an electric heater panel.

Associate
It does look like it's broken, as said above what is the other valve like? It could just be that one of them is closed too much and only allowing a small amount of water through, just enough to get it warm and not hot.

Associate
OP
The other side is a standard turn valve, ie you can turn it up and down. It has an end like a standard under the bit you turn.

it’s exactly like this

629-FE3-EC-203-A-4-C55-95-D0-2-D24574229-FF.jpg

Associate
Is the other valve fully open? Do you have the cap for that valve? If not try a screw driver or Allen key in the centre and see if you can turn it

Associate
OP
Seems to be steaming out heat now - god knows how much I’ve wasted on a 2k electric heater in there on an extension lead out the room.

Thank you all!

Associate
OP
He wasn’t touching this one as I didn’t want a TRV in the bathroom, heard it could cause all kinds of problems with temperature regulation. All he did on this one was to bleed it. I don’t think he could figure out how to balance this one.

I still wish it was twice the size :)

Associate
OP
It’s not a double - I’m concerned about taking off a radiator and causing a whole leak / problems. Don’t have the money right now to get someone else out. Is it an easy job?

Soldato
My OH has changed a few radiators in her house. Modern lockshield, or at least these ones, require large hex bits to adjust them.

Back
Top Bottom