Battletech

Associate
I was going to wait on this... But then I saw this thread... and then I visited Metacritic... and now I've bought the game :rolleyes::)

I hope it grips me. I played (new) Xcom for many hours and Xcom 2 for a few before I was distracted by other things but I haven't played much in the way of pure turn-based combat games, outside of combat in some RPGs.

My history with this universe is through Battletech: Crescent Hawks' Inception and Crescent Hawks' Revenge as a kid. That and MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries.

(As an aside, Crescent Hawks' Inception stuck with me for years as I could never complete it. The last bit had some sort of star map where you had to select different planets and I never knew which I had to select and couldn't find it in any cheat sections in magazines at the time :mad:)

I was reading one review of this game at my desk just now, making stomping and weapon sounds under my breath. Don't think anybody heard :p . It has been known for one of my mates and I to pretend to be Mechs when we're drunk.

Yeah, I think I'll like this.

Soldato
Mack appears to like it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrZFN-t4V0g

"Shocked to see this game bombing on Steam and after a bit investigation it appears lots of people are experiencing crashes, I just want to say I have not had a single crash since I started playing it. That however does not mean there is nothing wrong with the game, if loads of people are crashing then there is clearly a bug with the coding, am sure they will fix it but I thought I had better mention it as I was not aware of this when I made the review." Mack

Associate
I am loving it. Not far through the game yet but I think they have done an amazing job with it.

I got it through GOG and the only issues I have had is some stuttering / lag for a second when moving mechs and not often. In that when a mech is some way through the move animation, it will freeze for a second and then be at the end of the move sequence. This also only started happening after multiple hours of playing.

I had a quick look on Steam reviews and was not impressed with a lot of them. While there does appear to be code issues for some users, many of the reviews were poor and rage filled. Some clearly had not watched any of the trailers or material about the game before buying. And this was just on the initial steam game page.

If you want to see how it plays check out CohhCarnage on twitch as he has videos up of pre and post release.

Associate
I'm enjoying it, may restart my game though as most of my pilots where banged up pretty bad and in hospital after the first mission, my main character is in for 90 days :p :D It's far to easy at the start to get your pilots shot up but i think i just need to be more "strategic" and not go gung-ho.

Soldato
OP
It may just be the terminology of people getting mixed up and not remembering the old games properly but for my piece of mind; this is more mech commander (tactical overview and control of multiple units) than mech warrior (piloting a single mech, FP view etc) correct?

Associate
I'm enjoying it, may restart my game though as most of my pilots where banged up pretty bad and in hospital after the first mission, my main character is in for 90 days :p :D It's far to easy at the start to get your pilots shot up but i think i just need to be more "strategic" and not go gung-ho.

Same! :)

It may just be the terminology of people getting mixed up and not remembering the old games properly but for my piece of mind; this is more mech commander (tactical overview and control of multiple units) than mech warrior (piloting a single mech, FP view etc) correct?

Yes, though as opposed to Mech Commander, this is turn-based.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Ahhh, I am sure it will arrive then hopefully.

Maybe a mod or two will make it workable in the meantime, will have to keep an eye out for this in the future :)

Back
Top Bottom