BBC documentary - The Vietnam War

Soldato
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b096k7q7

I started watching this the other night, half expecting a fairly routine documentary but was immediately impressed. Apparently the programme took 10 years to make, and you can tell. The quality of the footage, interviews and production is some of the best I've seen, and at times it's very chilling.

I didn't know much about the Vietnam war other than what it showed in classic films, but this series goes into depth about the brutal 10 years leading up to the large scale involvement of US troops. For example, I didn't even know Vietnam was at war with France!

I highly recommend it.

Soldato
Yes it is, but how many other TV channels are going to show an 18 hour Vietnam documentary?
It is?
Cool, that means I can watch it on BBC iPlayer and not have to find 'alternative' sources. I heard it was only going to be on US channels.

Other channels... with my rather limited knowledge of SWMBO-TV (aka Sky & Freeview) I can think of one or two that might have broadcast it at one episode per week, or something. Series-link it, download and watch later... Do they not have a War History channel, already? ISTR one that ran 24/7 with all those niche interest, 'Hitler's Secret Petrol Station' type docus...?

Soldato
Yes, why did the BBC not acknowledge it was Ken Burns's ? I had started to watch via VPN on USA pbs before I realised it would be on.

There had been a Newsnight article on ken Burns at its USA release date, to boot..
series a bit in the gendre of the reference "World at War"

Man of Honour
Thanks for the heads up. I've today binge watched four episodes. I knew a lot about Vietnam beforehand, including the French involvement. But this documentary really is very good.

Soldato
As with Hades above I knew a great deal about the Vietnam War from a million books, films and other documentaries but somehow this seems to have that random deep fact I didn't know before which is always great to find out. However the best part for me so far are the interviews with the "enemy", the Viet Minh, VC, NVA etc, as their story has never really been told before in Western media.

Man of Honour
Yes, why did the BBC not acknowledge it was Ken Burns's ?

They did. Repeatedly.

And yes, up to Burns' usual high standard. But if the US version is 18 hours, then I think we are getting a cut down version over here, as we did with great US Civil war series (probably the greatest documentary series of all times). I'm sure this is billed as only about 10 parts over here, at about an hour each.

Soldato
The original 10 parter episodes are between 90-120 minutes each, if the BBC is only showing 60mins it''s a cutdown version which is a massive shame as the full length episodes are fantastic!

Soldato
I wouldn'thave said this is particularly in-depth, though... So far Wikipedia has more information. This just has more pictures and footage to go with it.

If anyone is watching this on BBC, then the BBC version is edited down to around 10 hours total. Missing 8 hours of footage from the original 18 hour version
Would recommend watching the USA version

I wonder if this is the issue, as the 18hr version I'm watching has lots of stuff I've never seen/known of before and I know a lot already!

Back
Top Bottom