BBC Hidden Kingdoms - 16th of Jan 8pm BBC1

Soldato
[TW]Taggart;25693278 said:
We are not a documentary. And this is where I think the issue lies, People don't know what Hidden Kingdoms is.

Watch this week and then ask yourself:

If entertainment is the brief, then I enjoyed the story telling and Stephen Fry's narration, even had a good chuckle at the Weremouse.

However entertainment with the show as a whole, the unpolished 2 or more composition vids feels disjointed. Too obvious that its done with blue screen and gives a feel of production value on par with a B-Movie often found in SyFy channel. Only the actual animal is real footage versus CGI.

Edit: I am looking forward to next week's Chipmunk duel...

Last edited:
Soldato
Bristol based? I only know a few companies up there.

Looks great btw, really like the direction it's taken. I'm intrigued by a lot of the photography in it, some of the shots look so unreal that I assumed they were comped. The snake going for the shrew and the hawk going for the mouse spring to mind.

Associate
OP
Bristol based? I only know a few companies up there.

Looks great btw, really like the direction it's taken. I'm intrigued by a lot of the photography in it, some of the shots look so unreal that I assumed they were comped. The snake going for the shrew and the hawk going for the mouse spring to mind.

We cant exactly put these animals together... that would be unethical. By taking this approach we can show what happens in real life, but get more interesting angles than you would in a 'normal' observed Nat-hist show, for example see any lion hunt.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01q0ht1

Soldato
Caught up with this last night. Christ that was a long "diary" bit at the end, took me a good minute to fast forward through it on 6x speed.

Soldato
[TW]Taggart;25693278 said:
We are not a documentary. And this is where I think the issue lies, People don't know what Hidden Kingdoms is.

Watch this week and then ask yourself:

Well that's just being intellectually dishonest. No where in the programme (And it really should be at the beginning) was there a card saying what you are about to watch has been created and altered for dramatic purposes.

This has been promoted and presented as proper natural history programme and not to say otherwise is not on. Funny enough is that if you did have a quick announcement or title card at the beginning saying this i wouldn't have any issues with the programme at all!

Associate
OP
This has been promoted and presented as proper natural history programme and not to say otherwise is not on. Funny enough is that if you did have a quick announcement or title card at the beginning saying this i wouldn't have any issues with the programme at all!

It does say in the opening. I think that its so overt and obvious that this is different.
bbc site said:
This is a different approach to a traditional wildlife series. Based entirely on biologically accurate behaviour, it employs a unique range of filming techniques and constructed storytelling to recreate these animals' own distinctive perspectives and to illustrate the dynamism of their lives.

Journey behind the scenes with Hidden Kingdoms to explore some of the techniques used to create this unique viewpoint, and why they were so important when revealing behaviour never before filmed.

Soldato
That's on the site, where does it say that when you sit down and watch the programme? I caught it on iPlayer and those comments weren't broadcasted

Soldato
Watched about 1/4 of this before swapping over to Wild Brazil. I see what they are trying to do, but I watch a Nature program for just that... 'nature'. If I'm sat there wondering 'ooh that filming was clever, how did they do that..?' then the program has failed.

I don't have anything inherently against CGI or anything (I liked the dinosaur documentary some time ago) but this was just a weird combination of production techniques which broke the illusion for me.

Associate
OP
Watched about 1/4 of this before swapping over to Wild Brazil. I see what they are trying to do, but I watch a Nature program for just that... 'nature'. If I'm sat there wondering 'ooh that filming was clever, how did they do that..?' then the program has failed.

You missed out on some fantastic behaviour then. Some filmed for the very first time ever.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01q2c41

All we've done is filmed it in a new way and told the story from their perspective. I doubt you cant watch the film Inception and not say, blimey how did they do that! Why can't that same awe apply to nat hist?

I think its a real shame some people, especially in the UK, aren't more open to different styles of natural history films. Fortunately they seem to be the minority.

HK is also being broadcast in 10 different territories this year, including china!

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Taggart;25703346 said:
You missed out on some fantastic behaviour then. Some filmed for the very first time ever.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01q2c41

All we've done is filmed it in a new way and told the story from their perspective. I doubt you can watch a film Inception and say, blimey how did they do that! Why can't that same awe apply to nat hist?

I think its a real shame some people, especially in the UK, aren't more open to different styles of natural history films. Fortunately they seem to be the minority.

HK is also being broadcast in 10 different territories this year, including china!

must have missed one of my comments then

All we want is Natural History programmes to be Natural...go figure

Soldato
[TW]Taggart;25703346 said:
All we've done is filmed it in a new way and told the story from their perspective. I doubt you cant watch the film Inception and not say, blimey how did they do that! Why can't that same awe apply to nat hist?

If you went to see Inception and they said they could have made the film 30 minutes longer with more action, more detail, suspense, effects, further story, but instead decided that they would chop 30 minutes off to show you a "making of" segment as it was far cheaper, and that would be on the dvd as an extra anyway, what would you think? Can you give the inside story as to why this stuff has gone off the red button and onto the main program?

Soldato
So I just got around to watching the first episode and I have to say (as a small mammal ecologist no less!) that I thought it was hilarious (in a good way), very entertaining and actually more interesting than a lot of the lower budget 'by numbers' nature filmmaking that you sometimes see (less so with the flagship stuff like Africa and Planet Earth, etc).

Sure some of the composites jarred a little, some of the post processing felt a touch heavy at times and there was the odd obvious discontinuity between the individual animals being filmed, but overall I'd say at first look it did a good job of creating a space for nature films of this style alongside the traditional DA style and newer Planet Earth style formats. Have to admit to skipping the making of section, I quite enjoyed them when the beeb started doing it but they've got a bit old now.

Also thought Stephen Fry did a great job, slightly hammy in places but good flow and bombast and much better than the pseudo-DA impressions that so many others seem to end up doing.

Also enjoyed Wild Brazil this week greatly (barring the script, which I could have written in my sleep), much more than the recent Wild Burma - that format started really well but seems to have run out of steam far too quickly due to developing too strong a focus on the presenters and 'top of the food chain' species, which really misses the point of a programme that's based around biodiversity surveys.

I wouldn't worry too much about robgmun, he just likes to have an opinion.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So I just got around to watching the first episode and I have to say (as a small mammal ecologist no less!) that I thought it was hilarious (in a good way), very entertaining and actually more interesting than a lot of the lower budget 'by numbers' nature filmmaking that you sometimes see (less so with the flagship stuff like Africa and Planet Earth, etc).

Sure some of the composites jarred a little, some of the post processing felt a touch heavy at times and there was the odd obvious discontinuity between the individual animals being filmed, but overall I'd say at first look it did a good job of creating a space for nature films of this style alongside the traditional DA style and newer Planet Earth style formats. Have to admit to skipping the making of section, I quite enjoyed them when the beeb started doing it but they've got a bit old now.

Also thought Stephen Fry did a great job, slightly hammy in places but good flow and bombast and much better than the pseudo-DA impressions that so many others seem to end up doing.

Also enjoyed Wild Brazil this week greatly (barring the script, which I could have written in my sleep), much more than the recent Wild Burma - that format started really well but seems to have run out of steam far too quickly due to developing too strong a focus on the presenters and 'top of the food chain' species, which really misses the point of a programme that's based around biodiversity surveys.

I wouldn't worry too much about robgmun, he just likes to have an opinion.

Thanks! I felt the same about wild brazil, Looked fantastic but the script was a bit over done. Stop telling me whats going to happen before it does damnit!

I didnt notice that about robgmun ;)

Associate
OP
PICK OF THE DAY IT SEEMS!

Guardian
http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...dio/2014/jan/23/tv-highlights-hidden-kingdoms
Hidden Kingdoms
8pm, BBC1
This week's hidden kingdoms are found in the planet's ancient forests. In North America, chipmunks, impossibly cute with their cheeks bulging with acorns, have to compete with other, seedless chipmunks in order to maintain a sufficient larder to last the winter. Action then moves to a wildly different animal populace, that of the jungles of Borneo. With such intense competition for survival – and with even plants having the ability to snuff out life – survival for tree shrews can be a perilous business. Ben Arnold

Telegraph
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/5602956/Tonights-TV-highlights.html
CRITIC’S CHOICE: Hidden Kingdoms
BBC One, 8.00pm
The forests of Borneo and woods of Quebec form the dramatic backdrops to tonight’s stories of lives lived at ground level, as Stephen Fry talks us through the experiences of a tree shrew, tearing around trying to fuel a rapid metabolism, and a chipmunk, gathering acorns as winter draws near. Given the determined targeting of a family audience it’s probably inevitable that the latter is called Simon after the cartoon character (fellow chipmunks Alvin and Theodore were presumably on holiday). Predators abound but genuine peril is at a premium in narratives, which – as the pre-transmission publicity has been at pains to underline – have been largely manufactured. There are, of course, many moments of startling beauty: bright red fungi breaking through autumn leaves; a python stalking the tree shrew in super slo-mo. But the tone is one of knockabout fun, with sound effects straight out of a Hanna-Barbera cartoon bolstering the soundtrack and narration. Still, Fry does drop in the occasional snippet of wildlife trivia, just about allaying any urge to turn the sound off and bask in the astounding visuals.
The concluding segment reveals how it was all done. While admirably honest, this undermines rather than enhances the sense of wonder in what we’ve just witnessed. Ultimately, Hidden Kingdoms comes to resemble a showcase for the technical capabilities of the BBC’s Natural History Unit; an institution worth celebrating, to be sure, but it probably shouldn’t eclipse the remarkable lives of its subjects. GT

Radio Times
http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/crv4bf/hidden-kingdoms--series-1---2-secret-forests
In this episode, giant acorns fall with a whistling noise like Second World War bombs. When chipmunks tuck the nuts in their cheeks, we hear a stretching, squeaking noise, as if they’re about to burst. Oddly, the “how we made it” segment at the end never shows the producers deciding which cartoon sound effect to layer over the action, but that’s the nature of the show: it’s a creative concoction, full of Disneyish mini-dramas about the trials of life for small creatures – this time, chipmunks in Canada and tree shrews in Borneo.

There are excellent slo-mo sequences of chipmunk fights and lovely incidental shots along the way: look out for the frost on a dragonfly’s wings and fabulous fluorescent fungi.

ABOUT THIS PROGRAMME
2/3. Stephen Fry narrates another documentary revealing the survival techniques of the animal kingdom's smallest creatures. This film follows a young tree shrew as it darts through the rainforest of Borneo on the lookout for food. The creature's super-fast metabolism means it is always hungry, but as it searches for fruit, it must avoid fire ants, giant snakes and even a carnivorous plant. Cameras also follow a male chipmunk collecting acorns in preparation for winter - but while he's out, a bigger, more aggressive neighbour ransacks his store. Can he get the nuts back? Including Hidden Kingdoms Revealed, a behind-the-scenes report on how the programme was made.

Daily Express
http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/tv-radio/455480/Pick-of-the-day-Hidden-Kingdoms
Pick of the Day
This is the story of two tiny animals coming of age.
In the wild woods of North America, a young chipmunk is gathering a vital store of nuts before his first winter.
In his way are ruthless rivals and giant predators.
In Borneo, a tree-shrew forced deep into the rainforests to find food must draw on all her intelligence and agility if she is to escape the jaws of a hungry reticulated python. Stephen Fry narrates.

The Times
Pick of the Day
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/arts/tv-radio/reviews/article3977255.ece
Hidden Kingdoms
BBC One, 8pm
The second part of this mini-series looks at the world through the eyes of chipmunk in the ancient woodlands of North America and a young tree shrew in the tropical forest of Borneo as they go about their business gathering food and trying to avoid being eaten by snakes and owls. The photography, as you would expect, is stunning — there are close-up shots of orangutans and bearded pigs that have to be seen to be believed. Much less impressive are the facile banalities intoned by the voice of Stephen Fry and the horribly intrusive music. My wife reckoned it was fine, but — if you’re as grumpy as I am — the trick is just to switch off the sound.

Back
Top Bottom