BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
325043701.png

Orginally sourced from http://twitpic.com/5ditbp

The image with its slightly OTT headline is of the Sunday Times story about the BBC possibly dropping the F1 coverage because it costs so much for such a small audience. There are no sources or quotes though.

Apparently it costs about £1 for every viewer that it gets compared to the average of 7p for the rest of the BBC 1 and BBC 2 content per hour.

I for one would like to say that

a) I would GLADLY pay the Beeb an extra £20 a year JUST for the F1 coverage.
b) Why don't they sell their coverage to other nations to help bring in more revenue. It's almost certainly the best in the world.
C) Also start allowing non UK IP addresses to buy a license for the iPlayer. I think they were talking about it but it hasn't happened yet.

I've just finished a night shift so once I've woken up form my days sleep I shall be emailing the BBC. I couldn't bear the thought of it going back to ITV.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd pay a premium to watch the current BBC coverage of F1 too, especially with the F1 Forum content afterwards as well.

They could cut costs in certain areas though, the over dramatic intro they do at every round isn't necessary. Could also cut down the pre race amble.

Soldato
I'd pay a premium to watch the current BBC coverage of F1 too, especially with the F1 Forum content afterwards as well.

They could cut costs in certain areas though, the over dramatic intro they do at every round isn't necessary. Could also cut down the pre race amble.

I think the £3 million per race is the contract with the FIA or whoever own the rights.

And I echo the comments on watching it on the BBC. ITV were poor!

Soldato
Yeah the 300 million is how much they're paying Bernie so god knows how much it costs with the production values on top!

Aside from Sky I doubt anyone will pay the same money this time round for the contract so maybe Bernie will negotiate a lower one with the beeb.........then again who am I kidding he'll go with whoever pays him most money like the races!!

Associate
With the racing like it is now, we just can't afford to have adverts during a race!!
This is probably the BBC's way of trying to get Bernie to make things cheaper, clearly they have no idea who they are dealing with.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
If the Beeb lose it I bet it goes Pay per view per race. :(

BBC1's coverage on F1 this year is the best it has Ever been, Figures for the last race topped any previous showing of F1 & was up around 7-8 million. I'll be praying for a compromise & it staying on BBC1.

Also worth mentioning Much respect for Jake I think he's a Brilliant F1 presenter. :cool:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
.........then again who am I kidding he'll go with whoever pays him most money like the races!!

This is probably the BBC's way of trying to get Bernie to make things cheaper, clearly they have no idea who they are dealing with.

*sigh*

Emphasis is my own:

pitpass in an article said:
As [Williams Chairman Adam Parr] knows all too well, F1 doesn't chase the highest buck when it comes to the sale of television rights. It is a rare case of Ecclestone having a driving force other than money and it is in the best interest of teams like Parr's. We are talking of course about the fact that Ecclestone deliberately sells F1's TV rights to free to air broadcasters in order to ensure that the teams get the maximum exposure to TV viewers so that they can command high sponsorship values.

Free to air stations may not pay the most to broadcast F1 but they tend to have the highest viewing figures. This is why F1 can claim to be the worlds most watched annual sport with 572m viewers last year and this is a huge carrot for team sponsors. So in essence, Ecclestone forgoes higher prices for TV rights to benefit teams like Williams whose chairman is now attacking him for not making more money from them. Very clever.

Damn that evil Bernie Ecclestone! Damn him to hell!

:rolleyes:

On a less sarcastic note, I'm sure it'll all come right in the wash. Hell, just selling Top Gear to yet another country will pay for F1 in five seconds flat....

Soldato
The last time they did PPV it bombed (F1 Digital+ in the early 2000's) but was actually a really good product I remember buying the season ticket they did towards the end for it. Took until the Beeb took it over to get anwhere near that level of coverage again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F1_Digital_+

Didn't help 2002 was a complete Ferrari walkover and had the infamous Rubens pull over to let Schui win in Austria!

Man of Honour
Agree with the selling, was with a load of Americans following a live streamathon on twitter when lemans was on and they didn't even have any choice of any live f1 coverage that weekend and the coverage they get is rubbish.

Why don't BBC make their site pay per view, rather than can only been seen in the uk. Could even update inlayer, pay per view or a monthly sub for everything, including vid on their website. I don't understand, why they aren't doing these things.

Who else will pay for it? I can't see itv picking it back up and bernie won't allow it to go to a pay channel as that will massively dent his other revenue.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Why don't BBC make their site pay per view, rather than can only been seen in the uk. Could even update inlayer, pay per view or a monthly sub for everything, including vid on their website. I don't understand, why they aren't doing these things.

Simple. Because it would take viewers away from the host broadcaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom