BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Lol. When there were rumours of F1 going to Sky, everyone was like "NO! It must stay free to view!"

Now BBC is looking to sell it, everyone is like "NO! I would pay for it to stay on BBC!"

LOL!

Man of Honour
Now BBC is looking to sell it, everyone is like "NO! I would pay for it to stay on BBC!"

LOL!

slightly different, sky requires. A minimum package and their hardware and would still have adverts and a lot worse coverage
So why would people want to pay for it to be on sky.
Where BBC has no adverts & amazing coverage, possibly the best in the world, certainly better than any other motorsports I've seen.

Caporegime
A slightly squewed view there AH2. People have said they would pay JUST for F1, whereas with Sky you get the full package all the time. You would also need some sort of hardware for PPV BBC F1 on TV, something like Top Up TV. Then theres the coverage. You have no idea what Sky would offer, so you cant state it will be worse coverage. And Sky goes a full half of football without adverts (45 minutes) so could in theory go with just a single add break during an average race.

I don't want F1 to go anywhere, its great on BBC. But I don't want to pay any more than I already do for it. But jumping to conclusions about possible Sky coverage carries no value. It would annoy me simple because I don't have, and short of sticking a dish on the side of my rented ground floor flat, wont have Sky.

Man of Honour
Compare f1 in uk to most countries and they don't even show qauli live if something else is on. Sky is all about profit I very much doubt they would have practise and I would bet similar setup to other countries.

Caporegime
I agree, your probably right. But as yet we dont know so we cant state it as fact.

However, you do have to ask yourself why no body else shows all the coverage the BBC do? Maybe it is because its simply to expensive and not worth it.

As a fan, I love the coverage as it is, but being realistic about it, if the BBC are struggling to fund it I would want it to go somewhere that offers half decent coverage. Anything to stop F1 going the way of WRC.

Soldato
When they did the PPV F1 (wasn't Sky themselves admittedly was just on their platform) they did used to show all of the practice sessions, qualifying and the Porsche Supercup.

Could see a possible 2 tier level of coverage with just the race FTA on BBC or ITV and all the other stuff (practice, quali, maybe support races) all live on Sky/PPV giving the hardcores a route to get full coverage and the BBC maybe a cheaper deal.

Man of Honour
Agree not enough viewers compared to other shows. I doubt it costs much at at all. They already have the license. Which is why I think only the BBC will ever show practice as they have red button and excellent web service. Which others just wouldn't bother with.

Can't see it being split. They pay for the license so it wouldn't really make it cheaper for BBC.

The other problem with sky is it would almost certainly be on sky sports, which is rediculusley expensive.
I can't see it going to sky anyway. Bernie doesn't like it as viewes would drop and hurt all his other revenue sources

Soldato
Would be a shame if the Beeb did lose it. When it was with ITV I used to switch on for the start of the race, now I tune in from the start of the show. Even the huge delay in Canada went by pretty quickly and was dealt with fantastically, on ITV that would have been a snooze fest!

Soldato
Oh god yeah can you imagine?! *Ad break* 5 minutes of Ryder and Blundell talking crap *Ad break* a dozen banners telling you Coronation Street will be on in 20/15/10/5/1 minutes *Ad break* Getting punted over to ITV4 so god forbid Corrie didn't get moved.

Easy to forget how good we've got it now, ITV used to treat F1 like crap. Plus they became Lewis Hamilton TV once he came on the scene and spent every pre show bumming him and forgetting everyone else.

Caporegime
They did however bring live coverage of P1, 2 and 3 to online, and streaming of Quali and the race. The pre ITV BBC coverage was shocking in comparison.

Permabanned
Get rid of BBC3 before BBC4 tbh! We've already got 3 ITV chanels and youtube, what on earth do we need BBC3 for? Ax the asian network radio chanel and 1 extra, the first one is positive discrimination and the second one is just music for chavs. Since when has the BBC cared about viewing figures ffs.

Also, the concorde agreement says it has to be aired on free to view television otherwise the teams would lose all their sponsors as it would at least halve the audience, so we will always be able to view the race, even if the features around it are rubbish. If it went to ITV, i highly doubt they wouldn't bring Brundle and choultard over. Jake probably wouldn't go to ITV as he probably has a very tight BBC contract. It would be worse though for one thing, and one thing alone...adverts.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Valentino,forget the whole 'Concorde agreement' thing. It will be on free to air unless someone offers more money, simple as.

But yes, there is a problem with the very core of this argument. BBC are looking to drop F1 to save BBC4. Seen as BBC3 and BBC4 spend half the day off air, and there are an incredible amount of repeats shown across the 4 channels even when people have iPlayer and recorder boxes, I don't see the need for both channels. Could they not cut the number of repeats, and combine BBC3 and BBC4 together into a single channel. Also, nowhere in anything I have read have I seen the viewer figures for BBC4?

However, as has been said, its nothing to do with figures, its to do with costs. F1 on BBC costs more than BBC4, so dropping F1 saves more money. Showing nothing but repeats of Top Gear would save even more money, but that doesn't mean its a good idea does it!

Last edited:
Caporegime
The only coverage of this is from a Murdoch paper?

Those figures will be squiff, probably bundles in all the Red Buttin, R5 and website running costs etc - over five years, for that kind of coverage, it's worth it.

Soldato
I've only just started watching F1 again this season because of the epic BBC coverage - if the BBC lose it I'll probably just stop following F1 again. Shame :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom