Votes: 134 76.6%
  • Gas

Votes: 38 21.7%
  • Don't like BBQ's

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Came into thread to tell gas-lovers they're bad and wrong. Learned interesting points about cooking directly over the flame, fat burning etc. Interested in trying a gas BBQ now.

Damnit! :mad:

Associate
I'll bite....

Because last time I checked my oven doesn't allow fat to drip, vaporise, create smoke and then impart a smokey flavor to my food.

+1 even though gas is quicker and easier you just don't get the same flavour from what you are cooking as with charcoal

Caporegime
Why do people go on about charcoal being a faff?

If you use a decent kettle starter (Weber), it’s super easy. Fill kettle up, pop on top of firelighter, go and have a beer. 15 minutes later, pour charcoal into bbq and off you go. Most bbq’s have an ash release system now to easily empty the old ash.

Gas doesn’t taste as good imo, the bbq’s are heavy so can’t be as easily stashed away like charcoal ones and the gas has got too expensive (nearly £40 round here now). Also, the top grade restaurant charcoal has become much more widely available. It used to be very difficult to get hold of.

Soldato
I have had both

Gas wasnt as bad as people make out, it still tasted nice and tasted of bbq, we did use a smoker box with it. That said its only good cooking on heat other wise use the oven.

Have been using light a bag coal this year and its been great for a quick burger / chicken bbq. Anything bigger they wouldnt get hot enough or you may need so much its not really efficient.

We are moving soon and a new BBQ is on my list, i am tempted to get a dual fuel one, but I am unsure how good the coal side is. Best of both worlds then i can cook quick things for the kids etc and the nice stuff where BBQ flavor really comes from the smoke / coal etc on the other

Associate
Got some similar looking, Big K 15kg restaurant grade on offer at Ocado.
Burning my first lot now as I type. Great stuff, very clean burn.
First time using my new Weber GBS.

Not got the best tools for the job though. Anyone recommend a decent set that will last?
Looking at the lot really, tongs, fork, cleaning brush, heat glove etc.

Back
Top Bottom