Becoming a Category C HGV driver

Soldato
Why would it not be possible to give a bad reference?

I was always under the impression they were not allowed to give a bad reference as such as it could be just a disgruntled employer. They can however provide info on performance and if the employee was sacked but must be backed up by proof...i.e. written warnings, performance reviews etc.

Could be completely wrong on this assumption however!!

Soldato
OP
A negative reference can be given as long as it is factual.
It would end up in court though right? Certainly in my case if the reference had been given on the bad day, well at no point up to that had anything negative been said to me, I had asked often how I was doing, is there anything else I can do or do to improve. All responses were, "you are doing great". I don't know how I would prove that, but I don't know how they would prove the bad reference, it would just be an opinion. I'm doing work experience there, they aren't paying me, if I'm that bad I would have expected to just be told don't come back :E Maybe it's a higher power making me not put all my eggs in one basket if uni doesn't work out lol

Man of Honour
It would end up in court though right? Certainly in my case if the reference had been given on the bad day, well at no point up to that had anything negative been said to me, I had asked often how I was doing, is there anything else I can do or do to improve. All responses were, "you are doing great". I don't know how I would prove that, but I don't know how they would prove the bad reference, it would just be an opinion. I'm doing work experience there, they aren't paying me, if I'm that bad I would have expected to just be told don't come back :E Maybe it's a higher power making me not put all my eggs in one basket if uni doesn't work out lol
Why do people think they cannot get a poor reference? This isn't eBay, it's real life.

I'm going to state it again in case there was any misunderstanding.

You can give a bad reference as long as it's accurate and factual.

Associate
You can refuse to give a reference but you cannot give a bad reference is my understanding, if you work for a large company they will simply direct any reference to HR who will just confirm your employment.

As for career path apologies this is late but absolutely there is/will be a shortage of qualified drivers and this is since the introduction of the Driver CPC, a recommendation is if you get an opportunity to take a Transport Managers CPC then absolutely take this. Great for your CV which will help with career progression and will provide you with the underpinning knowledge for legislation.

Man of Honour
You can refuse to give a reference but you cannot give a bad reference is my understanding, if you work for a large company they will simply direct any reference to HR who will just confirm your employment.

As for career path apologies this is late but absolutely there is/will be a shortage of qualified drivers and this is since the introduction of the Driver CPC, a recommendation is if you get an opportunity to take a Transport Managers CPC then absolutely take this. Great for your CV which will help with career progression and will provide you with the underpinning knowledge for legislation.
You can give a bad reference.

Honestly there is so much BS in this thread it hurts. Here is what the government has to say on the matter.

https://www.gov.uk/work-reference

Soldato
OP
Lopez it say's they would have to back it up with evidence, which is fine if they had any, there's no problem here.

I got a good reference out of them, I bossed my uni interview, they wanted my mobile number right away to accept me! I have some exams at the moment, I passed one a few weeks ago, I have one on Friday I am revising for now. Life is good, thank you for your interest :)

edit: ow I passed my medical, and will be in a truck in a few weeks :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
You can pass your category C an automatic (many HGVs today are) although most training wagons are old and more likely to be manual.

Don’t expect to pass and go straight into any set line of work, you need experience - doing a multitude of driving jobs - before you find the option of picking tippers / whatever presents itself.

Soldato
OP
I'm with a well regarded (on Trucknetuk) driving school, you learn in an auto and if you like once passing, you can have a go in a manual. Thanks for replying Scania btw!

I know I won't walk into a job, this is more of a back up in case uni for whatever reason doesn't work out. Another string to my bow really. I'm in for a teaser lesson next week for 2 hours, they demo drive, then explain controls and let me have a go somewhere quiet. I 'm excited and a bit nervous obviously!

Caporegime
I'm with a well regarded (on Trucknetuk) driving school, you learn in an auto and if you like once passing, you can have a go in a manual. Thanks for replying Scania btw!

I know I won't walk into a job, this is more of a back up in case uni for whatever reason doesn't work out. Another string to my bow really. I'm in for a teaser lesson next week for 2 hours, they demo drive, then explain controls and let me have a go somewhere quiet. I 'm excited and a bit nervous obviously!
You’ll be fine, and - I’m sure - you’ll find it a lot easier than you expect, tell me if I’m wrong in that but I doubt it!

It only really gets hard once your out in your own and trying to access somewhere you’d rather not take a car into, that’s where the nerves/fun starts!!!

As for a fall back it’s a good one.

I work with former Police officers, solicitors and even a former surgeon who went into hgv driving after their respective careers!

Soldato
OP
So I absolutely bossed the theory tests, the teaser drive went awesome too. I've not done the lessons and practical yet, and with the cost around £1.5k and not knowing how much money I'll need for uni, truck driving is on the back burner for now.

Uni is going great though, after a 5 min convo with a tutor telling her my history and work exp she hugged me and said we will defo have you! 2 presentations and interview later an unconditional offer was soon sitting on the UCAS website for 2 courses, another uni was full but said I am welcome to apply a year from now, err thanks lol

So i'm off to uni next month, I've spent £400 on books and now have my own library that I am reading. I've also begun work on 2 assignments, and I have another presentation at the end of the first week, though we only find out on what, on the first day, I can't wait to get started :D

Last edited:
Soldato
So I absolutely bossed the theory tests, the teaser drive went awesome too. I've not done the lessons and practical yet, and with the cost around £1.5k and not knowing how much money I'll need for uni, truck driving is on the back burner for now.

Remind me, what are you studying? Could you take HGV lessons at weekends? There are quite likely older (ahem, mature :)) students and faculty staff who are truck drivers who could possibly assist. Being a driver's mate at weekends might be a valuable 'in' to a company that would employ you over next summer.

The very best of luck with your studies.

Back
Top Bottom