Bengals...

Associate
Rotty said:
thanks for the advice , we would like another but really do not want to upset our current one
Rotty,
It doesn't need to be too truamatic for them.

What we did was when we went to collect the new kitten, we took a blanket from the cat bed where our 2 year old Bengal sleeps and placed it in the pet carrier which we arranged for the breeders to provide. We also placed a blanket from the breeders in the carrier too, so the kitten had the familiar smell of home to comfort him, and the new smell of our existing cat before they were introduced to each other.

On arriving home (long journey, about 8 hours by car), we had two litter trays prepared, and allowed the kitten to find them immediately. The tray he used we left behind and moved the other tray with the large cat to the hallway. We left the kitten to get used to the surroundings on his own, with only us in the room. Only allowing him to meet the big cat when we were there to make sure they didn't fight, and introducing them to each other slowly. We kept them seperate at night time.

We found that the kitten would gorge himself as soon as any food was put down, regardless of wether it was kitten food or big cat food, this caused a problem as our 2 year old cat is used to having food available continuously and doesn't over eat also the kitten would have very runny poop and awful wind when gorged. We've yet to solve this problem, but believe another few months of seperate feed bowls will have it all cured.

In all, we had both cats happy to spend the whole day together after about two weeks. This was really fortunate, as the 2 year old figured out how to open the room doors and still doesn't close them behind himself. I regularly return home and find them both cuddled up on top of the sofa or beside the fridge in the kitchen. :D

Go for it, a few weeks of gentle introductions will have them the best of friends in no time.

Associate
Rotty said:
thanks for the advice , we would like another but really do not want to upset our current one

This is really me typing this time, and not sarah :p

We took Shadow to the pet shop with us while we were picking out Siefer so that she got a chance to meet him before he came home. As he'd only just arrived in the shop, they wouldn't release him to us for several days, while they checked him over, so Shadow got to meet him on a few occasions.

When we got him home, Shadow was none too impressed as you can guess.. cue lots of growling and catfights, but 48 hours later they had worked out a pecking order and are now good friends. It's lucky that he's such a big cat for his age, and she's so slender, otherwise it could have turned nasty when they were fighting, but he managed to hold his own, and then some! :p

Soldato
fatiain said:
:D

Our cat was free, she adopted us.

Well when I say adopted, it was more of a muscling in, she spent a week sitting on the kitchen window crying to be let in from half 4 in the morning till gone midnight. We relented.

Same here, 'cept that she just sat by the french doors and looked at us :) it was about a month after our old cat had died of natural causes so the neighbourhood cats were starting to explore his old stomping ground

Shes a beautiful tuxedo cat
we've got another kitten now, a total nutter, she's only fairly recently started going out by herself, I would post pics but Ive misplaced my phone cable

Personally I just couldnt keep a cat indoors

Dont think I could live without a cat around, I love them :)

Associate
Here's a picture of ours from Day 1 of coming here (when 10 or 12 weeks old).
catpic3.jpg

catpic2.jpg

I can't find any of the good ones after he got big though. He's about 15 months old now.

Anyway we kept him inside until 6 months old until he was neutered and had his shots etc. (there's an entirely seperate thread right there!) and now he spends a lot of the day outside and loves it :)

To be honest I think it's difficult to keep this breed inside, they're naturally very active. More difficult than your typical dopey cats anyway, which these definately are not!

And yeah, they don't seem to mind rain or water. :confused:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
penski said:
You can't keep using anthropomorphic projection to cats; they do not have the same brains as humans and they do not have the same requirements as humans. To do so is rather churlish. They are an essentially 'wild' animal that still responds to basic stimuli; Cats sleep for most of their day with a dozen or so short bursts of energy (for 'hunting').

Tie a few ribbons of newspaper to a length of string and lead the string around the room along a random (and differing) path. Sit down and pull the string slowly in a jerky motion, replicating a mouse scurrying along skirting boards, under and over chairs, tables, down narrow cracks. The cat will respond to this basic stimuli by going into 'hunting' mode and stalking the newspaper. The random path ensures variation and the cat gets both mental stimulation and exercise.

As long as you are inventive, an indoor cat needn't be 'deprived' in any way.

I agree that if you give an indoor cat a scratching post and a catnip mouse to play with and leave them too it then they will not live a content and enriched life.

However, indoor cats with inventive and differing means to play can be as constantly challenged and aware as they could be outside.

Your comment about a 'constantly evolving environment' does not hold water; most outdoor cats have a rather limited territory and, other than the wind blowing a crisp bag about, the environment does not change much at all.

*n
Snap.

I got moaned at for keping tarantulas in an "unnatural environment" (A modified 5 litre cereal storage container) by some workmates.

What they failed to realise is that

1) Tarantulas have lived as long as they have by being very good at what they do - sitting still and waiting for prey to bump into them. This is why they have a ridiculously slow metabolism and comparitively long (for an invertebrate) lifespan.

2) Tarantulas move very little in the wild as they don't need to and don't have the energy to do so

3) Most are born in captivity and are therefore not being "deprived" of anything as far as they are aware

4) They aren't human and they don't get lonely, upset or bored. They are primitive arachnids with limited functions that serve to keep them alive and procreate. That's all.
2)

Don
thanks for the help folks ( barbie / jason ) , the other thing we are trying to find out is whether to get a kitten or a older cat and whether another female or a male

oh and Paul , he looks fantastic :)

Soldato
Rotty said:
thanks for the help folks ( barbie / jason ) , the other thing we are trying to find out is whether to get a kitten or a older cat and whether another female or a male

oh and Paul , he looks fantastic :)

KITTEN!

Back
Top Bottom