Bengals...

Associate

Synchronised sleeping:

Classy sleeping position:

George is a really shy cat around strangers, I always give him tons of attention and he dribbles when I stroke him. He got the name Blofeld from the evil eye he gives new people.

Michael is a really happy cat who's got the loudest purr I've ever heard, he doesn't seem to notice anything going on around him, always open to stroke, got the name Stephen Hawking from some of his sleeping positions.

Soldato
squiffy said:
Indirectly you are being cruel, you don't mean to be, but by keeping a animal from doing what it is natural to do, you are being cruel. Tough luck if you find that offensive, that is my opinion and I'm not going to change it. ie my opinion on your boyfriend.

Every cat we've had wanted to go out. And when it wants to come it we'll let it in. If we lock a cat in a room it would have issues going outside of the house, but that is to do with his mental state, not because he knows what it is outside but doesn't fancy going outside (ie a normal cat wouldn't want to go out when it's raining)

A indoor cat will probably have a longer life, but would you rather live to 100 years living in your own home, never living ? Or living to 50 years with travelling the world, doing every extreme sport.

If you don't have time, or the family, or the location of a pet's requirements, with a busy lifestyle, and hardly ever in the house, don't get one. Is that so hard? ie if you're a single person working every day, in a terrace house next to a main road don't get a cat.

I'm sorry but why is it that the answer "Keeping cats indoors is cruel" is the right answer and all others are wrong?
This isn't even a "In my opinion" post - it is said as if you are the authority on this subject.
Low and behold anybody who disagrees because they must be wrong.
A quick Google on the question "Is it cruel to keep cats indoors" gives loads of replies and funnily enough the overall answer would appear to be no.
Just a couple of links on the first page of results:

http://www.peta.org/feat/catpage/
http://www.caws.org/indoorcat.html
http://maxshouse.com/Healthy+Happy_Indoors.htm
http://www.catworld.co.uk/articlecatworld.asp?artid=126&cat=Ask the experts&pre=0

If you feel it is cruel to the cat then fine, that is your opinion.
But please make that clear in your response.
The UK generally speaking is a nation of animal lovers and some people can get upset if they feel they are being cruel to an animal.
Your opinion doesn't seem to meet with a lot of the experts out there so please don't give the impression that house cat owners are all cruel people who should be banned from owning a cat - my grand parents certainly never were and there seems to be plenty of other people who aren't either.

Associate
Batties girlfriend again
exactly my point it is actually reconmended by the RSPCA and other cat organisations plus all the cat books I have read that you dont let your cat out unless you can ensure it is going to be safe and wont get out onto a road where it can get run over and hurt or killed. ( With my old pair I was not allowed them unless I could say they would be kept in and kept safe and they came from a rescuse centre, infact If I had let them out my Sheba would have suffered as she was scared and nervous etc as a kitten and letting her out would have stressed her out to much. I was told Sheba would have to be kept in as a house cat due to her temperment and As I lived right on a main road it made sence to keep her companion in as well for his own safety. ) On top of that I dont want our cats fighting other cats and getting hurt or ill most cat illnesses are passed on though cat fights or sexual encountors of course ours our vacinated but even still even vacinations cant keep them fully safe from all cat illnessess. Indoor play can be as stimulating after all they are doing exactly the same things ie poncing, running, jumping, climbing etc as they would outside so how is it any different? How is being indoors not natrual for cats? they can and do the same things both indoors and out doors, and I dont work so I have all day to play with our cats ( and they have a lot more than just the odd toy and a ball of string ) and give them all the love they need. Hell most cat books and experts talk about providing your cat with a secure outside garden run for your cat and those would be even less space than the whole of our house indoors, most of the photos I have seen of cat runs are of things like big rabbit runs which it would defintely be cruel to put a cat in. How is it cruel to look after our cats and prevent them from getting hurt, ill, stolen or worse by keeping them inside and providing them with loads of toys and stuff to play with inside? On top of which we are harness and lead training our cats so that we can let them experiance the outside world in a controled safe way. ( Our shadow gets to climb trees if she wants to when we go out each day ) Surely its better to take care of your cats safety than to let them run the risk of getting lost, hurt, stolen or killed? So how are cat owners who keep their loved pets indoors cruel when they provide a safe and fun place to play and live? especially in cases where they take extra care and find ways to make things more fun for their pet? I know of many cat owners us included who have dedicated whole rooms to their cats and made them full of fun things to play with climb on etc etc. Hell the whole reason we are harness and lead training our two is so they can go outside in a safe way and get the best of both worlds. Hang on your tom was missing for weeks on end and you did not care or thats the impression your giving me that he was missing and could have been hurt or lost or dead? and You say that keeping them inside is cruel?????? Yeah right they have the sence to stay out of the road thats why so many get killed and hurt by cars each year isnt it? "catch birds and mice" So decimating wildlife and exposing them selfves to parasites is meant to be good for cats is it? I am not sure just what you meant by catty things but I have always found that they do them indoors as well as out doors. "Cats like to hunt, wander and explore. None of that is possible in house." Of course it is they just hunt their toys ( or flies and spiders in shadows case ) instead and wander and explore the house and if you change it and make it all new and fun for them each day and add in new smells and stuff they get totally stimulated and stay happy. In this weather all cats want to do is sleep and rest its to hot for them to do anything else they cant sweat like we do and dont pant like dogs do to keep cool and inside is cooler than outside. At the moment ours play in the morning first thing when its nice and cool and then in the evening once its cooled down again. Being outside in this hot weather is bad for cats they can get heat stroke and sun burn and suffer from dyhydration etc. Sure cats are cleaver wee animals but they dont need to be outside to show that my old pair who are now sadly dead used to show it indoors and play games like fetch and open doors and such and Shadow and Siefor also show thier intellagence by playing games with us and each other and we do all we can to stimulate them and make the most of their intelagance we just chosse to do it in a way that keeps them safe and if keeping our pets safe is cruel then what the hell is not keeping them safe?

Last edited:
Soldato
happycat.jpg

Soldato
Barbie said:
my point it is actually reconmended by the RSPCA and other cat organisations plus all the cat books I have read that you dont let your cat out unless you can ensure it is going to be safe and wont get out onto a road where it can get run over and hurt or killed

Fair enough dude, i didn't know that. Seems quite reasonable being as it would be hard for the RSPCA to know the history of every specific animal, and its capabilities in a real world environment. Though you will find that a creature with a natural instinct for self preservation such as the cat will normally steer clear of giant speeding 2 tonne bullets.

Barbie said:
I was told Sheba would have to be kept in as a house cat due to her temperment

sounds about right, i'm sure that there are cats who have been raised indoors, and maybe on top of that are of a nervous disposition. These cats will of course prefere to stay inside, where it's nice and quiete/safe/happy.

Barbie said:
On top of that I dont want our cats fighting other cats and getting hurt or ill most cat illnesses are passed on though cat fights or sexual encountors of course ours our vacinated but even still even vacinations cant keep them fully safe from all cat illnessess.

No idea whether you guys have kids, but i mean, would you treat a child like this?.. "No school, too dangerous.. Germs". Kinda smacks of Howard Hughes. Of course there's a risk of catching a desease (A close friend is studying to become a vet, she surprised me recently by telling me scary stories about the cat aids epedemic), but these are risks which are part and parcel of a 'real existence'. When i walk through the door in the morning i don't know whether i'm going to be bored to death or hit by a bus, but i still leave the house.

Barbie said:
Indoor play can be as stimulating after all they are doing exactly the same things ie poncing, running, jumping, climbing etc as they would outside so how is it any different?

How's it any different??.. How many different scenarios or opportunities for interaction can you supply every day?, i would wager not as many as the great outdoors. Fair enough you buy a ball on a piece of string, you swing it for 20 mins, you get tired of it, the cat gets tired of it, and you feel all warm and fuzzy. But outside it doesnt happen like that. The cat will wonder around constantly surveying its territory and finding new adventures. Spot a bird = 20 minutess of chase, spot a mouse and it can go on for hours and so on. My own cats will find an infinate number of things in the garden. Unless you spend all day every day in the house petting and playing with the cats there's no way you can compare the levels of adventure and opportunity for development.

Barbie said:
How is it cruel to look after our cats and prevent them from getting hurt, ill, stolen or worse by keeping them inside and providing them with loads of toys and stuff to play with inside?

Because you're screwing with nature. It's no different from forcing a bear to dance on the end of a chain!. Bear goes outside, it might die. Bear stays on end of chain, bear lives longer??, same thing?. Beh.
A cat should learn to defend itself, to hunt and to be excited. Cats are sensory creatures, it needs to smell, see and touch things. New things every day.

Barbie said:
On top of which we are harness and lead training our cats so that we can let them experiance the outside world in a controled safe way ( Our shadow gets to climb trees if she wants to when we go out each day )

To me that just seems insane.. It sounds like a monty python sketch. It's a cat for gods sake. I mean, what do you do?, allow a bit of slack on the lead?.

Barbie said:
So how are cat owners who keep their loved pets indoors cruel when they provide a safe and fun place to play and live?

I would imagine that if the cats had been (maybe even the nervous cat) given the option to roam in and outdoors regularly and from an early age the cats would choose to spend a great amount of time outdoors, away from leads and balls and twine. This is something that you've taken away from them (one of them at least), and that's cruel in my opinion, regardless of what you see as safe and lovely.

Barbie said:
Yeah right they have the sence to stay out of the road thats why so many get killed and hurt by cars each year isnt it?

This is unfortunate. I hit a cat once (the only living creature i've ever hit *touch wood*) at about 2am whilst going about 40 (on an NSL road), i stopped and though he ran off i presume he would have died later. But this is just a fact of life, that particular cat didnt hear me coming, and didnt move out of the way, and believe me i'm totally on the side of the pedestrian in most cases. But from a cat you expect a little more. A well adapted cat will move out of the way a long long time before a car gets near. Of course it's a worry when your cat is playing near a main road, similar to if a human was. But you have to trust the instinct of the cat, as you would the human (the cat more so really due to its hightened senses).

Barbie said:
"catch birds and mice" So decimating wildlife and exposing them selfves to parasites is meant to be good for cats is it?

Actually yes. 'decimating wildlife' is infact totally natural to a cat. The cat is a predator, the mouse is prey. This is nature.
As for being subjected to germs and parasites, again totally natural. The reason i don't die when i catch a cold is because i have been subjected to this from an early age, and cultured a certain amount of immunity.

Barbie said:
"Cats like to hunt, wander and explore. None of that is possible in house." Of course it is they just hunt their toys ( or flies and spiders in shadows case )

No you see it really isnt. A cat isnt hunting a ball of twine, it's chasing something that you're dangling, there's a big big difference. And the reason Shadow chases flies and spiders is because this is natural to her. If she was outdoors she would spend a lot of time doing that. And would most likely get far more enjoyment than through chasing the odd spider.

Barbie said:
In this weather all cats want to do is sleep and rest its to hot for them to do anything else they cant sweat like we do and dont pant like dogs do to keep cool and inside is cooler than outside.

I'll buy that to a degree. Though our cats have the option of sleeping in the sun or sleeping indoors they generally do choose to be indoors.

Barbie said:
and if keeping our pets safe is cruel then what the hell is not keeping them safe?

Natural?.

I don't want to offend you, so please don't take it that way. But in my opinion(TM) it is a little cruel to take that which is natural away from a cat.

P.S. Sorry for de-railing this further penski, no offence intended. You always seem like a good chap and i share many tastes with you :p .

Last edited:
Suspended
I agree 100% what benneh said above, as he's expanded and gone into further detail what I said earlier.

One reason the RSPCA say a cat can stay indoors is to give them a home, any adequate home...it's better than no home at all (and they can't leave them in the shelter) If a family drives upto the kennels but admit they live on busy road the life expectacy might be 6 months, so they wouldn't want to refuse them unless they have a bad history with pets. Not many people have time or live in a location to look after a indoor & outdoor pet (dog/cat) as much as it needs. ie most people leave dogs alone all day inside with no one to play with...the owners only arrive at 7pm, quick player before dinner and bed, and that's it. Cruel IMO. If it were a child, child services would have been called a long time ago

As for Barbie all your points are quite short sighted, I think you're trying to persuade yourself you are providing the most satisfying enviroment for your cat, unfortuantly you're not. Very safe, but very boring. You can't provide a cat a few toys and expect it to be entairtained for years on end in the same location, looking in the same house, same toys, same smells. ie my cat was sleeeping and awoke to find 5 birds nearby. You won't get that randomness inside with toys. Cats like to change sleeping places also, sometimes under a tree, in flowers, on the lawn, on sheds.. I certainly wouldn't like to be kept locked up inside a house for 80 years, even if I do have a lot of indoor "boys toys" ie computers, films, radio etc etc. Cats do suffer from boredom.

Associate
I don't think having an indoor cat is cruel, my auntie has 2 cats which don't even like going out. If you opened the door they would just look outside. But we let our cat outside and all he does is try to kill rabbits and birds and when he is inside he is usually pouncing on our dogs.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
squiffy said:
Not many people have time or live in a location to look after a indoor & outdoor pet (dog/cat) as much as it needs. ie most people leave dogs alone all day inside with no one to play with...the owners only arrive at 7pm, quick player before dinner and bed, and that's it. Cruel IMO.

While I know that this won't be true in all cases - our cat has Dad at home most of the day to play with/annoy/get food out of as he works from home. When he had a CRT monitor she'd spend a lot of time sitting or lying on top of it, enjoying the warm air. The only times she's alone are if he's gone out to a quarry to pick up dust samples, or is at his allotment, or has popped down to the pub for a quick pint.

Willow enjoying an LG (I think?) monitor:

Soldato
meh, damn tree-huggers spoling a perfectly decent thread, too much preaching and not enough practicing, as usual - 'I care more about animals than you!!! hooot hooot hooot!' yer 'cause it's all about the animals, right? pffft I guess none of you drives a car because it's bad for the envireonment, or takes perscription drugs when you're ill huh, because dying of a preventable disease is natrual right? or any one of the myriad other things so moralised over by folk who think they know it all; don't make me laugh with the double standards please.
Imho animal welfare falls below being 'well fair', to use the vernacualr, lots of grandiose ideas and innitiatives that just don't match reality or neccessity either.

If it comes right down to it, were it not for the interference of humans in the lives of animals then most of the domestic breeds we see today would still be hunting antelope on the veldt... so (if you'll excuse the punn) the cat's already out of the bag in that respect.

One of my cats has only one eye (damaged through fighting with un-neutered tom and going missing) and the vision in his remaining peeper is not perfect for the same reason. He wen't missing for almost six months- we'd given him up for dead, but we found him at the end of our road one night; obviously he was living in the area but couldn't get home or remember/see where he was. He was very emaciated and had to spend a few weeks being fattened up and treated with antibiotics before he could have the opperation to remove his badly damaged eye :(
He doesn't get let out much unless it's supervised in our pittiful excuse for a back garden and he has plenty of company from his sister during the day when we're all out at work. So would it be better for the following:

1) keep him indoors most of the time and feed him, fuss him and make his life as easy as possible?
2) let him fend for himself outside where he has a distinct disadvantage - he's been fixed, so fighting a propper tomcat would be seroius for him, oh, and did I mention his lack of an eye? how fair would it be for him if I were to allow him to become totally blind, due to some misguided notion of what is 'best' for the animal?
3) have him destroyed because he can't see too well and therefore would not be able to cope well outside on his own?
4) or worse yet, give him to the RSPCA :eek: how long would they keep him before he was not economically economically viable and destroyed him?

That's the reality of the situation.

Tbh, neither of them show all that much interest in 'outdoors' except when the local ferral tom comes around swingin' his balls and marking his stuff hehe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom