Best 2.1 speakers for gaming for around £100

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Problem is my room is around 5 metres by 3.5 metres but my pc is in the corner which is quite far from the backwall.(i would say the pc chair is about 3-4 metres from it) I've never used a 5.1 system on it so i am not sure how the rear speakers sound would fair? also the wiring seems like it would get in the way and be awkward to tidy hence why i really want a 2.1 set.

Thanks for all replies so far, any more advice would be appreciated.

Soldato
I have two sets of these speakers in my house and they are fantastic.

One set is hooked up to a music player and the other to a Home Theatre PC (plays TV, Blu-ray etc.) and they work great for both applications. However, I use them both with Xonar D1/X sound cards.

I find that the sound quality is amazing, as is the bass and they go very loud. Compared to any similarly priced PC speakers, these win every time. I strongly recommend them.

Associate
I've never used a 5.1 system on it so i am not sure how the rear speakers sound would fair?

The trouble with cheap 5.1 setups is, while you get the advantage of surround sound where supported, the sound quality is sub par-so if you enjoy listening to music, you may be disappointed.

Soldato
The trouble with cheap 5.1 setups is, while you get the advantage of surround sound where supported, the sound quality is sub par-so if you enjoy listening to music, you may be disappointed.

I agree with this. My Creative T6100 is crap for music. I have to have the fancy EQ crap on for it not to sound like the music is being played through a keyhole, which ruins the music anyway. Great for films and gaming though.

Aego gets my vote too, as it can do music as well as films and gaming.

Associate
Well the surround sound I have, ive put the rear speakers on 2 monitor arms that move so I can put them in front of my for mixing music and behind for gaming

Soldato
I was always under the impression that music isn't done in 5.1? If so, how does it balance on a 5.1 set?

Cheap 5.1 speakers, not well. Some maybe be better than others. There is no control over the bass for the most part, the bass is overbloated and sounds like it's coming from a separate system. Of course that is not to say that 5.1 speaker systems can't do music, I would imagine that the Z-5500 would handle it far better than the £50 and below offerings from Creative and the like.

With a decent 5.1 speaker system, it works well. I have a 1 box speaker system, minus the dvd player etc, which cost about £250 6 years ago. That handles music well, it sounds whole, unlike the Creative set where the music is so disjointed it's almost laugable. Dolby Pro Logic etc does a good job of upmixing music to multi channel.

Last edited:
Associate
I bought Aego M's two days ago to replace my old Creative Inspire 5100 and am entirely happy with my choice for the price. They seem absolutely brilliant and plenty of people speak very highly of them.

Associate
I have the Logitech z2300's for over 5 years now, were £95 at the time. Still just as good as the day 1! Thoroughly recommend them. For gaming however I did get a 5.1 headset. Use these speakers mostly though. Very loud, good bass and clear.

Soldato
From my past experience I would spend around £50 on an amp and £50 on some proper hifi speakers. Something like my old setup is easily do-able. Second hand Cambridge A1 and second hand Mission M71 bookshelf speakers. I sold both for £50, leaving you £50 for a half decent soundcard. Go hunting on ebay for bargains and ask in the hi-fi forum/avforums

I never regret moving from Creative Megaworks 550 pc speakers to that setup

Soldato
On the subject of amps, are there any there are less wide and more tall? They all seem to be huge slabs of metal and circuitry, certainly way too big for my desk.

Back
Top Bottom