Best 2TB drives to go in a Synology DS212J??

Soldato
I'm on the verge of getting one of the Synology DS212J NAS boxes and wondered what the best 2TB drives were to plonk in there to run in RAID 1??

For example, the Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive at £89.99 compared to the faster Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - is the latter worth the extra tenner? (or even recommended for a NAS??)

I've also read about the new Western Digital "RED" drives, supposedly designed for NAS's - are these any better in reality??

Primary use will be storage of pictures and streaming video to various devices if that makes any difference??

Thanks for any advice guys...

Soldato
If you want to run RAID/NAS drives then ones certified for use are definitely worth it.

Google ERC / TLER / CCTL (Unconfigurable/locked time outs) and how it's an issue which plagues RAID configs. I run Seagate 2TB drives with no configurable ERC and have been lucky not to have disks drop from my array, but - it could happen. I run that risk because my array is a stripe and has no really critical data.

Infact - This article is probably right up your street:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-features/31202-should-you-use-tler-drives-in-your-raid-nas

tl;dr - It would seem most NASes will not be affected to any hardware based time-outs an have their own set of software based conditions for failing drives. But, if the certified drives are not that much more expensive they are probably worth using.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the posts guys!

I was thinking the Red drives might be a bit of a gimmick but they appear to be a very good option for a NAS in respect of heat & noise!

Might look into these a bit more!

Soldato
I've been looking into the reds for ym DS712+. Eve though the specs dont seem mcuh, what benchmarks I have seen showing them as really solid performers!

I have been using a pair of WD greens without problem but will definately change for the reds.

Associate
I was thinking the Red drives might be a bit of a gimmick but they appear to be a very good option for a NAS in respect of heat & noise!
I'd probably have seriously considered getting WD Red for my microserver ... except that WD annouced them a couple of weeks after I'd ordered WD Green!

Back
Top Bottom