Best AIO CPU Cooler?

Associate
Yo guys,

I currently have the NZXT x1 and had it for years, think she is starting to die on me so thinking of a new one. Any advice on which is best? or just get the newest NZXT?

Associate
I have the Nzxt Kraken X52 it's OK i had to add two additional fans and make it push/pull for the performance to be good though.

I think corsair are about to bring out a new one may be worth looking at?

They're pretty much all the same, I had a predator one which was very good but kept leaking.

Maybe hold out for black friday deals?

Associate
OP
I have the Nzxt Kraken X52 it's OK i had to add two additional fans and make it push/pull for the performance to be good though.

I think corsair are about to bring out a new one may be worth looking at?

They're pretty much all the same, I had a predator one which was very good but kept leaking.

Maybe hold out for black friday deals?

Ok cool, maybe i'll see what Corsair bring out. I've heard they have pretty good coolers.

Soldato
Yo guys,

I currently have the NZXT x1 and had it for years, think she is starting to die on me so thinking of a new one. Any advice on which is best? or just get the newest NZXT?
Which do you want, a CLC or an AIO? All CLCs are a sub-group of AIO, but not all AIOs are CLCs. CLCs are factory sealed with no provision to change, fix, repair anything or even top up coolant. AIOs that are not CLC have copper radiators, real threaded fittings, a fill port, and can be serviced and repaired as needed.

Good AIOs are a little more money, and while still not as good as a nice custom loop are way better than CLCs are.

Associate
OP
Which do you want, a CLC or an AIO? All CLCs are a sub-group of AIO, but not all AIOs are CLCs. CLCs are factory sealed with no provision to change, fix, repair anything or even top up coolant. AIOs that are not CLC have copper radiators, real threaded fittings, a fill port, and can be serviced and repaired as needed.

Good AIOs are a little more money, and while still not as good as a nice custom loop are way better than CLCs are.

Hmm... well i'm guessing my current one is CLC, with the NZXT X1 its just plug and play. At most i need to re thermal once in a while. So wanna stick to that.

Soldato
Hmm... well i'm guessing my current one is CLC, with the NZXT X1 its just plug and play. At most i need to re thermal once in a while. So wanna stick to that.
Yeah, that is a CLC for sure. Just curious, how long have you had it and what kind of temps does your CPU normally run?

Associate
OP
Yeah, that is a CLC for sure. Just curious, how long have you had it and what kind of temps does your CPU normally run?

Had it about 2/3 years, not sure to be honest. Normally idles in the 30's and mid 60's for long duration gaming. Normally when it starts hitting 70's+ i re-thermal the paste and clean the fans. But it hit 78 the other day and just feel its maybe about time for new one. ( any excuse to spend money )

Soldato
Had it about 2/3 years, not sure to be honest. Normally idles in the 30's and mid 60's for long duration gaming. Normally when it starts hitting 70's+ i re-thermal the paste and clean the fans. But it hit 78 the other day and just feel its maybe about time for new one. ( any excuse to spend money )
Not really high temps but it cold be wearing out / be getting low on coolant after 2-3 years. If filters haven't been cleaned in awhile it's probably time. I clean mine every time I clean room computer is in .. and inside of computer stays clean because all air going in is filtered. If your air is not being filtered, remvoe fans from radiator and clean radiator fins.

As old as it is it might be worth at least having a cooling setting on the shelf in case it does fail .. because when it does it will likely stop working at all so system won't be usable until new cooler is installed.

Associate
OP
Not really high temps but it cold be wearing out / be getting low on coolant after 2-3 years. If filters haven't been cleaned in awhile it's probably time. I clean mine every time I clean room computer is in .. and inside of computer stays clean because all air going in is filtered. If your air is not being filtered, remvoe fans from radiator and clean radiator fins.

As old as it is it might be worth at least having a cooling setting on the shelf in case it does fail .. because when it does it will likely stop working at all so system won't be usable until new cooler is installed.

Yeah, going to wait and see what the Corsair come out with soon and make a decision.

Soldato
I have a alphacool 280 cpu and it's great. It has a refill screw, and I connected it up to a Alphacool Eiswolf 120 GPX Pro Nvidia Geforce GTX TITAN X Pascal.

It's very simple to connect together. And by doing it that way I have 2 pumps ;)

Associate
OP
I have a alphacool 280 cpu and it's great. It has a refill screw, and I connected it up to a Alphacool Eiswolf 120 GPX Pro Nvidia Geforce GTX TITAN X Pascal.

It's very simple to connect together. And by doing it that way I have 2 pumps ;)

Hmm, interesting. I haven't seen this one before. Will give it a check but got to be honest I like the simplicity of the NZXT/Corsairs where you don't need to change or really maintain them. I'm lazy :)

Soldato
Hmm, interesting. I haven't seen this one before. Will give it a check but got to be honest I like the simplicity of the NZXT/Corsairs where you don't need to change or really maintain them. I'm lazy :)

As someone who knows very little about liquid cooling, that does strike me as a bit of mistaken thinking. It's not that they don't need to be maintained, they do, it's just there's simply no option to do it, so they die.

Soldato
What Unseul said. All liquid cooling needs servicing after a year or so. CLCs just don't allow user to do anything to keep them working. I've never liked the CLC idea. Asetek being able to get a US patented on the concept of pump on waterblock in a factory sealed system is crazy stupid. It's a concept so basic it cripples the AIO industry being able to develop better systems without infringing on asetek's US patent .. and the reason on other country honors that patent.

Alphacool makes the be quiet! Silent Loop series of AIOs (not CLC) with threaded fittings that hose can be changed or cut to length and with a fill port for adding or changing coolant. They made the Fractal Design Celcius too, but I don't know if they are still available. Only reason I don't recommend them is I've hear their customer support is horrible. But if you get the be quit! Silent Loop you have be quiet! to go to if you have any problems, and be quiet! has good customer support. ;)

Associate
OP
As someone who knows very little about liquid cooling, that does strike me as a bit of mistaken thinking. It's not that they don't need to be maintained, they do, it's just there's simply no option to do it, so they die.

This is true, never really thought about it to be honest. Ok, you have my attention on this, If i'm to get a non CLC cooler. Where the best place to start and recommendations?

Soldato
This is true, never really thought about it to be honest. Ok, you have my attention on this, If i'm to get a non CLC cooler. Where the best place to start and recommendations?
Best in my opinion is Swiftech AIO but it's hard to find outside of USA. As said above, Alphacool make some but I would suggest you check out their customer support history before deciding to buy one.

Associate
OP
Best in my opinion is Swiftech AIO but it's hard to find outside of USA. As said above, Alphacool make some but I would suggest you check out their customer support history before deciding to buy one.

Had a little shop around i can get SWIFTECH H220-X , any thoughts on this one?

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a little shop around i can get SWIFTECH H220-X, any thoughts on this one?
We are not supposed to post prices from other places on OcUK.
It's good. H220 X originally sold new for $139.95 plus tax and dollar to pound plus VAT is normally the price we see. It has a 240 copper radiator (2x 120mm fans). After H220 X series there is H220 X2 (series (& H220 X2 Prestige), and now Swiftech is coming out with new X3 series. Obviously radiator has same G1/4 threads so owner can change hose, change / add components, etc. Silent Loop are £130-150 so about the same price. While I have not used/tested any of them people I know who have speak highly of all series.

H220 X pump has a 6w pump PWM controlled from 1200-3000rpm with flow of up to 660 L/h and 2.8m maximum lift at full speed, so is not as wimpy as CLC pumps(50-80L/h) but still not as powerful as most popular custom loop pumps are (D5 is 1500L/h). For good cooling coolant needs to be moving about 70L/h or more for waterblock to be able to remove heat well.

I think I have detailed measurement drawing here somewhere if you need them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oops, edited it out.
Ok cool. I'll have a shop around and see what i fancy. If they are coming out with the X3 might just wait for that and see what the reviews are.
At this time I think Swiftech is the best AIO made. If Alphacool had a better rep their AIOs may be a good option, but after hearing some of the horror stories some owners went through I am not suggesting them other than using be quiet! Silent Loop because I know be quiet! has good customer support.

Back
Top Bottom