Best camera bag.

Associate
I’ve been through a few different camera bags over the last few years. Really liked the Peak Design Everyday Backpack (still use it for work sometimes) but settled on the Mindshift Gear Backlight 26L as I wanted something tough enough to survive Iceland in winter, could carry all my gear comfortably all day on long hikes (PD wasn’t much good for that) and could also store a few other bits if I needed. Love it.

Soldato
Depends what I'm doing but generally either the Billingham Hadley Pro or Peak Design Everyday Backpack are the two I use nowadays.

For work we use the manfrotto pro light which are bulky but super comfortable to carry large equipment around with.

But yeh there are some really crap camera bags out there.

Soldato
Most of my friends who take their photography and active outdoor pursuits seriously seem to favour Hazard4 kit.
Looks expensive and gimmicky to me, based on my experience of (non-photography) load carrying, but they assert that it suits their needs as photographers...

Soldato
OP
which size everyday would you recommend? I bought a Manfrotto NX CSC Backpack - Grey from the rainforest but not sure about it at all, straps look thin and flimsy and want something a bit more comfortable.
Yeah, those straps do look a bit flimsy. I'm not sure how much weight you would be putting in it though? The last two backpacks I bought had support struts to handle the weight. The layout on the Hazard 4 pillbox looks a bit off as well.
Truth be told. I'm not sure how much you'd be willing to spend but I would recommend going for at least a popular make with plenty of reviews second hand. I got the Lowpro mentioned above for £95.00 used (in mint condition). This way you'd be getting a quality product for a decent price.

Last edited:
Associate
I had a look at the Hazard4, I'd look like sam porter out of death stranding :)
I'll get the return done on the Manfrotto one then and have a look at the Lowepro.
thanks ttaskmaster and ethan.

Soldato
No one bag for all situations in my opinion. I've got 4 different LowePro bag that get used for various purposes:-
  • Rolling CompuTrekker Plus - This one doesn't get much use these days, originally it used to be used for studio/location shoots where I could work out of the bag, now mainly gets used as storage for when kit isn't being used.
  • Slingshot 100 - When travelling very light, on bike, on beach when on holiday. Just the camera and a couple of lenses.
  • Fastpack BP 250 AW II - Used when going on holiday as my carry on luggage, can fit all my kit in this, camera/lenses/flashes, laptop, drone and all accessories.
  • Lowepro Classified 140 AW - My most used bag, fits camera a few lenses and then either flash or laptop depending on requirement. Great for location shoots and day outs.

Soldato
I've recently been doing a lot of property photography so having to carry my gear around on my back for hours a day was a new norm. I invested in a BP 450 AW and I have to say, backpack wise, it's the best i've ever owned. I wouldn't use it for weddings as it's a bit small for all my gear. For landscapes though, it's perfect. I absolutely love the way it opens from the back...such an amazing feature. Really comfortable as well.

Soldato
OP
I've recently been doing a lot of property photography so having to carry my gear around on my back for hours a day was a new norm. I invested in a BP 450 AW and I have to say, backpack wise, it's the best i've ever owned. I wouldn't use it for weddings as it's a bit small for all my gear. For landscapes though, it's perfect. I absolutely love the way it opens from the back...such an amazing feature. Really comfortable as well.

Yeah I was going to say it is comfortable on the Aw2. I've removed the hip straps for convenience though I dare say they will be difficult to get back on due to the way you have to feed them through the "gap" because of the Velcro.

Soldato
Think Tank Retrospective 5 because it doesn't stand out as a camera bag, fits my camera in plus accessories and a water bottle for when on holiday, suncream also.

Back
Top Bottom