Best choice for 420mm top radiator

Associate
Just in case anyone finds this thread....
I did my build last night. The Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master & Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm (Rev 4) work perfectly in the
Meshify 2XL. The AIO bracket is right up against the M2 (using the 'offset' feature), but it's fine.
I also fitted the two CPU power cables before fitting the AIO.
My 5900X temps are now 65C under a full Prime95 load, great!
I'm going to add an additional fan to keep the 3090 a little cooler, but all in all a nice upgrade.

Soldato
Well done, bet you appreciate the room in that case...!
Even tho mine is an Intel based build, no CPU offset needed, the bottom of the AIO block almost touches the top NVME slot cooler. on my motherboard.
With the possibility of so many 140mm fan options it is pretty easy to keep things cool, without too much noise.
You should post a photo if you can. Gives others an idea of what they could expect.

Soldato
When I had the Corsair 5000D I even had a challenge, with the magnetic rear door, to keep that closed without it popping open.
This Meshify XL is one of the first that allows my "throw everything in and bury them at the back" approach to cable management somewhat work. Helped with the removal of the two 3.5" trays.

looks good.

Associate
Can two 420mm rad fit into meshify 2 XL full tower case and does this case come with glass?

I rather save £60 than to buy the 7000D

The rad depths are 35mm and the fan depth 25mm so total = 60mm
The rad lengths are just around 390-400mm but they are classed as XSP-RS360 360mm radiators?

Why is this? Does that mean my radiator although 40cm long are actually 360mm? I could save even more buying a case if this is true

Soldato
Can two 420mm rad fit into meshify 2 XL full tower case and does this case come with glass?

I rather save £60 than to buy the 7000D

The rad depths are 35mm and the fan depth 25mm so total = 60mm
The rad lengths are just around 390-400mm but they are classed as XSP-RS360 360mm radiators?

Why is this? Does that mean my radiator although 40cm long are actually 360mm? I could save even more buying a case if this is true

I had the 5000D and looked to upgrade to the 7000D. No doubt a great case. But, with hesitation, I ordered the Meshify 2 XL and, take a look at my photo a page or so back, you will see more than enough room to fit a top and front mounted 420mm rad.

It comes with a glass panel. Overall it is an impressive and large case.

From the very little I understand the rads, well my AIO, is denoted by the overall size of the fans it can be fitted with. So a 360mm AIO, for example, will be a rad capable of fitting 3x120mm fans. A 420mm rad will fit 3x140mm fans. You then need to consider the overall length which is beyond that of the quoted fan needs. Perhaps that helps...?

Associate
So a 360mm fan is around 399mm long.

so what do you look for then? Make sure it fits in the overall chassis size of the tower.

Soldato
That would be one critical factor.
If you are talking about AIO's I just spent time searching and reading this forum as well as watching reviews on YouTube.
Even tho Arctic Cooling now make bling variants of their AIO's they don't make one for the 420mm. Their bling simply includes RGB or aRGB coloured fans and no block changing colours.
I wasn't that bothered about bling tho.
With the AC AIO I bought there is one sleeved wire to connect to the CPU header, meaning no sperate pump control over that of the fans. But easier to fit and looks cleaner imo.
Warranty could be a factor also, so that could be considered as well as those reviews.
At the time I paid less than £100 for the 420mm AIO - some can cost a lot more and yet provide no better cooling.

Associate
I'm interested in an Arctic 420 with Asus Hero z790 motherboard. These have quite high VRM heat shields.

Would the Meshify 2 XL allow a Hero with the AF 420?

Would the Corsair 7000D have a lot more room?

Last edited:
Soldato
@oxf77 If you take a look at the photo I posted on the other page you can see the clearance from the top of a motherboard to the bottom of the fan of a 420mm AIO, from Arctic. There is plenty of room.
The motherboard you noted just has VRM's that stand upright from the board, not add additional height to it to bring it into close contact to the AIO, if that makes sense.
I couldn't imagine that it would be an issue to have similar clearance, just some thoughts needed to fit the cables to the motherboard perhaps before screwing it in place..?
not sure about the 7000D, the cost was kinda high when I looked at it and IIRC it did not get a great review from GN.

Associate
@oxf77 If you take a look at the photo I posted on the other page you can see the clearance from the top of a motherboard to the bottom of the fan of a 420mm AIO, from Arctic. There is plenty of room.
The motherboard you noted just has VRM's that stand upright from the board, not add additional height to it to bring it into close contact to the AIO, if that makes sense.
I couldn't imagine that it would be an issue to have similar clearance, just some thoughts needed to fit the cables to the motherboard perhaps before screwing it in place..?
not sure about the 7000D, the cost was kinda high when I looked at it and IIRC it did not get a great review from GN.
I think I understand what you mean. So as you're looking at the board, it protrudes towards you, not upwards towards the AIO?

Soldato
@oxf77 Yes that is how I see it. The dimensions of the board should conform to the ATX spec it is just the Hero protrudes in height due to the VRM's towards you and not the AIO. At least that is how it appears.

That boards size....

ATX Form Factor
12 inch x 9.6 inch ( 30.5 cm x 24.4 cm )

is exactly the same as my Gigabyte Z690 board - conforms to the ATX form factor sizing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom