Best Controller for PC

Soldato
I was looking for a confrable option for kids, the xbox can be a little big in some hands.

Thanks for the replies, one of the main reasons I thought about upgrading is the wireless feature because I have on board Bluetooth but ive been told I still need to have a cable connected to use the controller.

Is this correct ?

Both my kids have Xbox One Controllers, age 6 and 9 they use them fine. They hardly use them anyway except for FIFA as they are true PC Gamers ie mouse/keyboard ;)

Xbox One Wireless controller uses plug in USB dongle, no wire, hence why its "wireless" :)

Soldato
OP
Both my kids have Xbox One Controllers, age 6 and 9 they use them fine. They hardly use them anyway except for FIFA as they are true PC Gamers ie mouse/keyboard ;)

Xbox One Wireless controller uses plug in USB dongle, no wire, hence why its "wireless" :)
So i assume you need to buy a separate dongle

Associate
360 Controller and Xbox One Controller. 360 for 100% compatibility for old and new games.

My One controller gets missed on some older games (pre-2010) whereas the 360 is fine, both current and classic.

Man of Honour
So i assume you need to buy a separate dongle

Xbox One controllers came in two flavours, direct WiFi at first and then went Bluetooth later (with the release of the S) . The earlier ones require a separate USB dongle to connect to your PC, just like the Xbox 360 wireless controllers.

Soldato
Xbox 1s controller and more recently Xbox 1 elite controller for me. Work flawlessly with USB dongle (Bluetooth with the Xbox 1 controller was finkey and the elite controller which actually predates the S controller does not have Bluetooth at all!), support in all the titles I want to use it is always perfect, last ages

Thanks, how long do batterys last in the xbox one controller and how long does the pack last ?

I use 2500 mAh amazon basic rechargeable batteries. Last for around 45-50 hours mark if I had to put a number on it.

Soldato
The xbox 1 pad is good, I just wish it was built a bit better. I have had 2 pads thumbsticks start drifting, which is incredibly annoying in GTAV, having to constantly reset the camera as it keeps drifting up to the sky :mad:. It's apparently a common issue and something I could see being an issue as soon as I used the pad for the first time as the tumb sticks just feel so weak and creaky from new.

Currently got an elite pad as my brother bought it me. From what I have read the thumbsticks are the same ones from the normal pad, just with removable rubber bits :(.

As for batteries, get some rechargeable Eneloop batteries, they retain their charge, so if you don't use the pad for a few months the batteries will still be charged and ready to go. They last ages as well, far longer than I remember my wireless PS3 pads lasting.

Associate
Used a wired 360 pad for a good 8 years or so and was great, have been using the xbox one S bluetooth controller for about a year now and its great too.

One minor niggle is that some old games dont recognize the xbox one s controller but works with the old 360 pad, only ran into that issue twice with old japanese games though.

I tried the DS4 a couple years back when I had a PS4 before I sold it and the battery life was so short compared to DS3 or XB1 S controller with decent rechargeable batteries.

Soldato
I changed from a 360 pad which was getting tired to a XB1 pad. I'd say it's an upgrade, but there are two downsides I found worth considering:

1) The XB1 pad gives NO warning at all that batteries are running low. So the first you will know is when it suddenly stops working. Which is usually right in the middle of a Rocket League game. I've actually had it happen just as I was about to tap jump to score.

2) I used it with a bluetooth dongle for a long time. It was usually OK, but occasionally a bit dodgy. And when I got a VR headset it went very flaky for some reason. Switched to the official wireless connection instead and it's been 100% reliable since.

Soldato
Xbox controller, got a couple of them for local multiplayer games. I also have a steam controller which is fine but the placement of the buttons on the right is terrible.

Soldato
I changed from a 360 pad which was getting tired to a XB1 pad. I'd say it's an upgrade, but there are two downsides I found worth considering:

1) The XB1 pad gives NO warning at all that batteries are running low. So the first you will know is when it suddenly stops working. Which is usually right in the middle of a Rocket League game. I've actually had it happen just as I was about to tap jump to score.

2) I used it with a bluetooth dongle for a long time. It was usually OK, but occasionally a bit dodgy. And when I got a VR headset it went very flaky for some reason. Switched to the official wireless connection instead and it's been 100% reliable since.

There is a app made by some guy after Microsoft dropped status support via there own app which works well on windows: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7134-xbox-one-controller-battery-indicator.html puts small Icon in system tray showing status of each controller connected in terms of battery life and can play an audible warning if battery gets low. Pretty basic, but does the job and very light. It does take like 20 seconds initially for controller battery life to be detected for the very first time.

Soldato
I hope MS don't change the Xbone controller too much for their next gen console as it really fits in to my hands just perfectly.

Yeh, I find it great ergonomically, but the stick drift problem should have been sorted out a long time ago.

I've had four PS pads, the first dating back to the original PS1, and they all still work perfectly.

Meanwhile, I have two 360 and one Xbox One pad fubarred.

Associate
I use an xbox one remote always have done. I had to use the dongle before the released the new version, no I just have to turn on the remote and it syncs straight to my laptop! Fine and easy.

Soldato
I've been using a wired Xbox 360 pad for about 7 years, works fine no problems and with Windows 10 just plug it in and away it goes.

I have an Elite pad for my Xbox X and while it feels a lot more premium the 360 pad is just fine for the games I play on the PC (Witcher, Dragon Age and Skyrim)

Back
Top Bottom