Best cooler for Ryzen 5 1600?

ADT

ADT

Associate
I have the same mobo and cpu in the OP.

Got mine running @3.8 using the stock cooler and my temps are fine. No more than 60C in games and 30-35C when idle.

I would strongly recommend you try the stock cooler first and then decide if you want to go aftermarket

Soldato
I have the same mobo and cpu in the OP.

Got mine running @3.8 using the stock cooler and my temps are fine. No more than 60C in games and 30-35C when idle.

I would strongly recommend you try the stock cooler first and then decide if you want to go aftermarket

What voltage you using? Found once you hit 1.4 it jumps . My 1600 won't do 4ghz at any volts but takes a bit at 3.95ghz

ADT

ADT

Associate
What voltage you using? Found once you hit 1.4 it jumps . My 1600 won't do 4ghz at any volts but takes a bit at 3.95ghz

1.35v
Any lower and it will refuse to post.

I really didn’t want to OC but I couldn’t get my ram to run at anything higher than 2400 when the cpu is on stock clocks. Ram running at 2933 now with the OC’d cpu

Last edited:
Associate
I'm using the Noctua nh-d14 which other than the hideous looking fans, is superb. It's allowed me to clock my Xeon from 2.66ghz to 4.8ghz stable at under 80 degrees (now backed down to 4.4ghz due to laws of diminishing returns) and is silent. Other than the look of it, can't fault it. RAM clearance not an issue, as it has 40mm clearance and I'm using Kingston LP ram anyway. It's a tall cooler though, you need a clearance of 160mm for it to fit, I have 170mm in my Fractal Define C.

Associate
I just brought a ryzen 1600 and am using the stock cooler. I previously had a intel i5 with a coolermaster TX3, so far the Temps are around the same, 30-32c idle and 36-45c on load. It seems to be a really good cooler and comparative to cheap (<£20) air coolers but I feel it is a little bit noisier than the TX3 was.

Associate
Would you recommend those pre-assembled/ AIO liquid coolers?

yes - they cool better and are quieter than an AIR. downside is lack of air blowing over VRM's if you are using a B350 board. Both my graphics card and CPU (1700 O/C to 3.9) are water cooled. They system is significantly quieter compared to when it was on air. There is nothing wrong with using a copper heat plate and an alu radiator. cars have been using mixed metals in their cooling and blocks etc for years without any issues. no way would I go back to air and a AIO is simpler to use than a custom loop and significantly cheaper.

I've got an antec GX1200 case, B350 MSI tomahawk Mobo and an RX480. cpu doesn't go above 60C and the GPU above 45C on the AIO's. on air with a decent cooler I was seeing 65C with the fans at max (e.g loud) and the GPU was at 72C (again loud fans). Obviously these temps are within spec but I wanted it quiet. For non intensive uses like youtube/internet/homework there isn't much difference in noise with the air being a bit quieter mainly cause there wasn't as many fans.

Soldato
yes - they cool better and are quieter than an AIR. downside is lack of air blowing over VRM's if you are using a B350 board. Both my graphics card and CPU (1700 O/C to 3.9) are water cooled. They system is significantly quieter compared to when it was on air. There is nothing wrong with using a copper heat plate and an alu radiator. cars have been using mixed metals in their cooling and blocks etc for years without any issues. no way would I go back to air and a AIO is simpler to use than a custom loop and significantly cheaper.

depends on your case

NIaKKpP.jpg
y22Js25.jpg
5as6vhO.jpg

Associate
no issues in my case

p5pb15394119.jpg

Soldato
I have a Cryorig A80 and pump noise is always audible. That is why I only used it long enough to test it. Test showed it cooled only 2c better than top air coolers, but at the cost of making twice the noise.

Soldato
I have a Cryorig A80 and pump noise is always audible. That is why I only used it long enough to test it. Test showed it cooled only 2c better than top air coolers, but at the cost of making twice the noise.

Guessing from the push design , silent loop sucks so keeps noise to non existent , runs all of them at 100% were as alphacools own unit pushes and has a loud hum

Associate
Not defective, just what they are. I've tested many CLCs and all the pumps have sounded like I had an aquarium in the room.

you must be really unlucky with your samples then. I have two in my case and I can't hear the pumps unless the house it totally quiet and its only one that makes a noise.

Soldato
you must be really unlucky with your samples then. I have two in my case and I can't hear the pumps unless the house it totally quiet and its only one that makes a noise.
Nothing to do with luck .. all to do with reality.

Yeah, and average house has a bottom sound level of about 32dB. This means for something to be audible it needs to be making more sound pressure than 32dB .. so if your house is 32dB your pumps are louder than 32dB. My home 30dB unless someone is driving by which is rare .. or we have other things besides our computers running which is almost as rare .. so here a pump generating 34dB SPL is audible in room it is in .. you know, like room would sound if there was an aquarium running a pump in it. ;)

I've see others like you claiming their CLCs are silent, until they convert back to air coolers and are amazed at how much quieter their new air cooler is than their CLC was.

Same applies to accurate testing of CLCs' and air coolers'where instead of CLC being mounting as intake and air cooler uses warmer air causing air cooler to have higher CPU temps compared to testing where component air temp is monitor and used to determine delta temps of both air cooler and CLC showing air coolers cool CPU just as well as CLC, and can do it at lower noise levels too.

Important thing is you are happy with your system as it is. ;)

Associate
my CLC isn't silent but it is a lot quieter than air when I'm playing games or rendering video. That's why I use a CLC for high load quietness. I can't hear my pumps under normal house conditions. I only hear it when I get up for work at 3am. my fans on load only spin around 850-900 rpm which isn't even 50% compared to 100% on air.

Nothing to do with luck .. all to do with reality.

Yeah, and average house has a bottom sound level of about 32dB. This means for something to be audible it needs to be making more sound pressure than 32dB .. so if your house is 32dB your pumps are louder than 32dB. My home 30dB unless someone is driving by which is rare .. or we have other things besides our computers running which is almost as rare .. so here a pump generating 34dB SPL is audible in room it is in .. you know, like room would sound if there was an aquarium running a pump in it. ;)

I've see others like you claiming their CLCs are silent, until they convert back to air coolers and are amazed at how much quieter their new air cooler is than their CLC was.

Same applies to accurate testing of CLCs' and air coolers'where instead of CLC being mounting as intake and air cooler uses warmer air causing air cooler to have higher CPU temps compared to testing where component air temp is monitor and used to determine delta temps of both air cooler and CLC showing air coolers cool CPU just as well as CLC, and can do it at lower noise levels too.

Important thing is you are happy with your system as it is. ;)

Soldato
my CLC isn't silent but it is a lot quieter than air when I'm playing games or rendering video. That's why I use a CLC for high load quietness. I can't hear my pumps under normal house conditions. I only hear it when I get up for work at 3am. my fans on load only spin around 850-900 rpm which isn't even 50% compared to 100%.
My guess is your 3AM home noise level is similar to my everyday level.
Generally when cooler fans have to spin at full speed to match CLC temps it's because case airflow is not adequate for demands and cooler is reusing it's own heated air and this means it must move the air through much faster to keep CPU cool. When case is setup to match coolers of CPU and GPU the coolers

Back
Top Bottom