best cooler

Soldato
Would help if you gave full motherboard model. I'm guessing it's an Aorus GA-Z270X Gaming K5 ? Sorry, but I'm not going to try and figure out center CPU to RAM and PCIe sockets without knowing exactly what motherboard you have.

Your Team Dark Pro think is 44.15mm tall but there are 2x 2.5mm hex screws that allow top to be taken off to shorten them to 37mm. 37mm tall RAM is 32mm above CPU surface.

Silverstone Redline RL06 Pro has 158mm CPU clearance. 158mm severely limits cooler selection .. combine that with your tall RAM and the choices are even more limited. This is distance from top of CPU to case side leaving us 121mm fan clearance over RAM with top part of RAM heatsink removed.

What case fans do you now have? We need to be sure they can supply needed airflow to the CPU and GPU cooler fans. I think your Gigabyte 1080GTX Extreme Gaming Premium Edition has 2x 100mm fans? If so you need at least 3x front intakes and maybe a 4th as close to front of as possible in the top. I need to know what the model number of your case fans is.

Soldato
While not as good as some, some of the Akasa fans are not at all bad. I'll figure out the motherboard measurements and let you know what they are along with some suggestions. How much are you willing to spend for both case fans and cooler?

Soldato
GA-Z270X-Gaming K5 has 80.9mm center CPU to near side of x16 PCIE, 69mm to near side of x1 PCIe and 55mm to near side of RAM socket.

I'm going to assume you will not be using the x1 PCIe so we have 80.9mm for cooler .. none have fins reaching that far.

Phanteks PH-F120MP fans are very good costing £10.99 each, 2-pack are £14.99 and 3-packs are £26.00 .. assuming OcUK still has any in stock. With 3x / 4x of these as front and maybe top intake you do not need any exhaust fans. If you would like you could put one on the cooler as well .. depending on what cooler you decide to use. If you want these grab them if they are in stock because the sell out pretty fast.

So we have no worries side to side
55mm to RAM and can have 120mm fan over RAM if you remove top bit of foo-foo/bling.
Cooler can be up to 158mm tall.

Alpenfohn Brocken 2 is good and uses 140mm fan with finpack set back so it fits behind RAM costing £42.95. There is a 'B' grade one for £22.99
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-grade-alpenfoehn-brocken-2-cpu-cooler-bg-018-al.html

Scythe Mugen 5 is a good cooler and is 130x154.5x110mm (WxHxD) £42.95
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5100-mugen-5-cpu-cooler-hs-046-sy.html

PH-TC12DX is a good cooler but not quite as good as Mugen 5 and cost similar at £42.95

NH-U12S is quite good too but over-priced at £55.99

So is Alpenfohn Matterhorn Pure and is only £33.95

Soldato
Many users have not been happy with EK Vardar fans. I do not advise them. The PH-F120MP are really about as good as it gets and even not on special are lower priced than others. Probably the very best are Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM but they are £29.99 each.

AIO and CLC are not better than good air, cost more, usually make more noise (pump definitely makes more noise at idle than an air cooler at idle), are extremely cheaply built, can't be repaired if something goes wrong (almost always the pump) and when pump fails system is unusable until cooler is replaced. CLC pumps and no fill port are CLCs' worst problems. Pumps are only capable of flowing about as much coolant as a healthy adult can **** after a few pints (40-60L/h) compared to D5's 1500L/H (D5 is arguably the most popular custom loop pump) and hopefully you get an idea of how little coolant CLCs flow.

Your RL06 supports radiators as follows:
Front 120mm / 140mm / 240mm x 1
Rear 120mm x 1
Top 120mm / 240mm x 1​
Top only support a total thickness of rad and fans of <30mm .. I don't know of a rad & fan combo that is that thin. This means you are limited to a 120mm rear rad (definitely not enough to be overclocking on) or a front 240mm rad with it's heated airflow dumping into case onto GPU if used as intake .. meaning case would have to be setup with airflow from back and top to front exhaust.

The best way forward is good air cooling. I see peeps who switch from air to CLC or started with CLC who are no moving back to air cooling either being extremely happy they came back to air or amazed at how much better (quieter) as well as often cooler a good air cooled system is compared to CLC. Below is what a x-CLC user said yesterday after installing air cooling .. (FYI, Liqtech 360 has 360mm rad (3x 120mm fans) and only one with pump that flows up to 450L/h).

'I am a perspective guy. With that said, I am in awe that I have a Stable 4.025GHz OC being air cooled. No interest in water. As somebody once said...water and computers don't mix.:woot: I have no time for a custom water loop. When I originally built this system, I chose the Enermax Liqtech TR4 360 and had to RMA twice because they are garbage. I don't want to obsess about my temps. Taking the rear exhaust fan off helped a little. I'm keeping the top 3 exhaust fans. At stock speeds, the 1950X rips through video encoding at high quality settings. Overclocked to 4.025GHz makes a noticeable speed improvement but not an earth shattering one.'

Most of what people call AIO are really part of the sub-group CLC. No CLC has fill port nor any way to service or repair it. There are a few AIOs that are not CLC like Swiftech, Alphacool Eisbaer, be quiet! Silent Loop and Fractal Design |Kelvin but I think Kelvin is no longer being produced. I would not buy Alphacool because of some of the problems owners have had getting customer support when they had legitimate problems with product, but be quiet! gives good support so if you want AIO that would be the one to get .. or Swiftech, but Swiftech is had to find outside of USA.

Soldato
Does noise matter?

Honestly, what I've already posted tells you how I would set it up .. several times from air cooling to AIO. I've suggested fan setup and good air cooler choices. I'm kinda tired of giving advice only to have you come back asking totally different questions and moving off in another direction. For your uses I think a good air cooler is the best way to go. While you have a nice enough case it has less CPU clearance than I like. ;)

Soldato
So many cases .. so little time. One with 2x or 3x 140mm front intakes and maybe a 140mm bottom intake. Case needs no top venting at all but needs good back venting. Also depends on how much noise is acceptable. Open grill fronts are usually not as quiet as ones with vents on side of front, but it's a trade-off between airflow and noise too. Fractal Design have some nice cases but their stock fans are worthless so figure in the cost of 3x good intake fans .. with good intakes and removing PCIe back slot covers no exhaust fans are needed. Phanteks has several really nice cases too, and most of them come with good cases fans .. only the 200mm fan is not good. Also depends on what features you want and what design looks good to you. Drop me a message

Soldato
Meshify is good, but stock fans are no good. Top exhaust probably won't help but removing all PCIe back slot covers will. ;)

Back
Top Bottom