• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best cpu for gaming

Soldato
OP
There is a reason the 7800x3d is the best selling cpu, because it the best gaming cpu with insane efficiency on a socket with a future. Intel is really not an option for new builds, AM5 all the way.
yes and no...

i now have a 7800x3d and i am a CPU and GPU Whore but this ad better be the last AM5 CPU i buy... it wont be

but in the real world where you make a 5 to 7 year pc intel 147/900k is a very good option. when you upgrade in say 6 years time 15 gen will not be an option.
and in the same way if i was to drop a nut on a new system with a 78/900x3d on a 5 to 6 years upgrade schedule the 9XXX CPU's mean nothing.

people go on about dead sockets, to 90% of user's it means nothing if the socket as no next gen. i would dump my 7800x3d for a 14900k in a hart beat

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I would not drop a 7800x3d for anything Intel.

to me that just sounds like fan boy crap, dont take that the wrong way but if you was offered a system swap to a better cpu and it is better end off. if you was to say no i mean come on.

i mean talk about dead sockets people are still specking and buying am4 and LGA1200

Last edited:
Soldato
lol why have you an am5 rig yet wetting your pants over intel who is clearly the inferior platform. Why would I swap the faster game cpu that uses hundreds watts less power for the same 8 core with joke e-cores and a boost clock that crashes when playing games lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
to me that just sounds like fan boy crap, dont take that the wrong way but if you was offered a system swap to a better cpu and it is better end off. if you was to say no i mean come on.

i mean talk about dead sockets people are still specking and buying am4 and LGA1200

They recommend AM4 in extreme budget builds.

As for a "system swap" -- that's unlikely for most users if talking about a no cost exchange, the act of spending money to swap those components for gaming is pointless and effectively kills your platform longevity.

Those who self build absolutely are and do take advantage of that, we're no longer in an era where you can slap in an i5 2500K and keep it due to minor incremental upgrades for 6 + years. After moving to AM4 I went through a number of worthwhile low cost upgrades which cost me very little, 1600 > 3700X > 5800X3D. Being able to do similar on AM5 is a huge draw for the platform, and ultimately we're on an enthusiast forum full of people who self build.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
lol why have you an am5 rig yet wetting you pants over intel who is clearly the inferior platform.
it cost 2/5's the price its all be BGrade it cost penneys

Why would I swap the faster game cpu that uses hundreds watts less power for the same 8 core with joke e-cores and a boost clock that crashes when playing games lol.
its not the best CPU is it. it just games good. don't confuse the two.
some people like dont just game, that work and stuff like that

hundreds watts less power
i assume you still use a 5w charger on your phone because the 20w one like so much more to run..
i gave zero poo's about power usage.

what GPU do you have? like a 3050? because them 4090 use bear power

Last edited:
Soldato
i gave zero poo's about power usage.

Power usage is absolutely a major concern for a lot of people. It's worth noting that it also tends to translates into heat, which in turn relates to cooling and noise.

You need to pick a stance and stick to it, you're appealing to what you perceive as popular opinion one minute and then decrying a huge consideration for the majority the next.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
After moving to AM4 I went through a number of worthwhile low cost upgrades which cost me very little, 1600 > 3700X
you have to remember up until the 5XXX cpu's you was still under intel 6th gen core performance. so all the little upgrades was needed.
i went 6900k to 1700x massive downgrade but i didnt know that at the time

Soldato
Doh, this guy goes by what streamers have in their rig, why don't you pull up them stats for what cpu they use? Best gaming cpu is the 78000x3d, every review site says so, end of.

As for power use, this guy is so strapped he goes bgrade, might want to start giving a poo about energy use, you might be able to pony up for that slower power virus, bsod 14900k.

:cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
that is my point 7800x3d it use's less power... 4090 it look so good on the screen... what about the power then?

what is your system spec?

5800X3D
32gb RAM
4070S

So yeah, I prefer lower power systems where plausible. I'm undervolting my 5800X3D for the record and plan on doing the same for the 4070, although it's an extremely efficient card anyway for the performance.

I'm on a 650W PSU and I'm confident I could run my entire rig just fine on a decent 550W unit.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm undervolting my 5800X3D for the record
well you have to.. i had one there hot if not they slow down.

4070 is not a super fast GPU so yer it use's a low amount of power, it is a sensible choice. but it can get upto 275w's or the tuf model i had would do 275ish in bench marks.

your not the best option for my augment haha, like i said there is people with 4090's that go on about the amd chips using less power.. like come on... you need a small reactor to run your GPU and your chatting poo about 90w's in game load on a CPU

Last edited:
Soldato
Why the would I want to add another plus 100 + cpu watts on top of a 4090s power with intel, when I can just go AMD for a cooler, faster and vastly more efficient rig, that's crash free when gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
that's crash free when gaming

AMD doesn't crash? why don't they advertising that its a big selling point....
Also you should tell that to the unreal engine that i fight with constantly

why dose intel crash more? or are you refecting to the NV driver fault thats crashing on intel cpu's... because it you want to talk about drivers AMD enters the ring as world champ to crap drivers

Last edited:
Man of Honour
lol why have you an am5 rig yet wetting your pants over intel who is clearly the inferior platform. Why would I swap the faster game cpu that uses hundreds watts less power for the same 8 core with joke e-cores and a boost clock that crashes when playing games lol.

It is a tiny number of 13th and 14th gen CPUs which are crashing and mostly 13900/14900 at that and despite the talking of all boards having unlocked power limits it is almost exclusively a combination of CPUs with low stability margin and Asus motherboards where people are having problems (in most cases manually dialing in the Intel spec boost power limits fixes it and/or disabling boost optimisation presets which result in out of spec behaviour).

I'm a little bemused by the 7800X3D bandwagon personally as outside of purely gaming it really can be 1-2 generations behind Intel's nearest CPUs by price and most of the performance advantage is lost at resolutions above 1080p with high or ultra settings, the 7950X3D has a much better balance of performance but is quite a lot more expensive. If you've got similar systems side by side even application/game installs are noticeable slower on the 7800X3D than other options. Despite the headline power and heat figures of the Intel 13th and 14th gen in a mostly GPU bound gaming situation they aren't that terrible.

Thing which makes me most critical of Intel really is the joke PCI-e provisioning with limited number of PCI-e lanes and mediocre PCI-e 5.0 support.

EDIT: Also something a lot of reviews don't show - while the 7800X3D itself is around twice as power efficient or better at gaming whole system power consumption vs the 14700K is somewhere around 30% difference at 1080p and 20% at 4K, so not nearly as big a difference overall.

Last edited:
Soldato
well you have to.. i had one there hot if not they slow down.

4070 is not a super fast GPU so yer it use's a low amount of power, it is a sensible choice. but it can get upto 275w's or the tuf model i had would do 275ish in bench marks.

your not the best option for my augment haha, like i said there is people with 4090's that go on about the amd chips using less power.. like come on... you need a small reactor to run your GPU and your chatting poo about 90w's in game load on a CPU

but what alternative do you have from 4090 kinda performance ? you have choice with CPU's for best gaming performance As I only game i would choose x3d why would I want to use more power if I dont have to while still not missing out on performance ?

Soldato
OP
but what alternative do you have from 4090 kinda performance ? you have choice with CPU's for best gaming performance As I only game i would choose x3d why would I want to use more power if I dont have to while still not missing out on performance ?

If you have a 4090 are you gaming at 1080p that’s where the x3d chip is best. At 1440 is about same same both sides win a few at 4k its nul

I have a 7800x3d but not ones did I think it uses less power this is the coy I need in my life.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you have a 4090 are you gaming at 1080p that’s where the x3d chip is best. At 1440 is about same same both sides win a few at 4k its nul

I have a 7800x3d but not ones did I think it uses less power this is the coy I need in my life.

its the overall package not just power but thats one of them

Soldato
OP
its the overall package not just power but thats one of them

if you run a 100w cpu at 50% for 8hr's a day it will cost you £26 a year to run that's the difference with a 7800x3d and 14900k
if you set the stock intel power limits, the difference in running the cpu's is about £1 a year, if you run the cpu at 200w power limit its about £22 a year

you guys are talking like it needs a second mortgage

to take this to a stupid level your "Samsung G7 240hz 1440p" will almost double the power of a 100Hz monitor, so why are you not running a 100hz monitor

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom