Best curry in central London!

Man of Honour
Tayyabs in between Aldgate East and Whitechapel. By far an away the best place in London for it... and just round the corner :) Lahore Kebab House is another strong option, but not a patch on Tayyabs imo. It's chaotic, the staff are rude and indifferent, but the food is rather good.

http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/tayyabs

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2005/may/08/foodanddrink.shopping

You see this is one such example.

Tayyabs is at best middling to fairly good, but in the last 12 months I have been there 3 or 4 times with people from London who hear my midlands twang and think I will want a curry. They are of course 100% correct and I've not had bad food there, but places like Tayyabs are 10 a penny in Brum for example.

Soldato
You see this is one such example.

Tayyabs is at best middling to fairly good, but in the last 12 months I have been there 3 or 4 times with people from London who hear my midlands twang and think I will want a curry. They are of course 100% correct and I've not had bad food there, but places like Tayyabs are 10 a penny in Brum for example.

Well that's lovely and all but a) sounds like you're bit competitive at best or have a chip on your shoulder at worst and b) the OP specifies London :)

Man of Honour
Well that's lovely and all but a) sounds like you're bit competitive at best or have a chip on your shoulder at worst and b) the OP specifies London :)

Or perhaps I was born in and live local to Birmingham but work in London and spend on average 3 nights a week there where I eat out so can bring something of experience to the discussion not just my city is better than yours?

Associate
There is an indian kitchen on the strand above the Hotel Strand Continental. The place looks like a dive, it has dodgy tables, uncomfortable seats and really poor decorations and harks back to the days of the raj, but the curry there is absolutely awesome. Proper authentic curry like no other IMHO. Nan breads that match no other and its relatively cheap. Forget the posh places and flashy high-end expensive joints, if you want a decent curry go find it. Its called the india club: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...The_India_Club_Restaurant-London_England.html

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheap: Tayyabs
Mid-range: Guglee
Expensive: Cinnamon Club (when it reopens)

Brick Lane = I hope you've got plenty of bog-roll on standby the next morning.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not quite central London but we went to one on Kensington High Street that was absolutely bang on. Best curry we've had in years and not bad prices either.

The one with the sign in the window that says "The owner also eats here".

Associate
Brick Lane. Lots of choice and most places are darn good.

Completely disagree. Brick lane has lots of choice.... Most of them are bad, a couple are reasonable. Brick lane is basically the place to go if you're a tourist to London or out on a work night out and everyone's hammered and wants a quick cheap place to have a curry.

As others have said, tayabs is good food but not a good 'restaurant experience.'

Not that it's going to help OP whatsoever but I've recently found the best curry ive ever had and its in Hertfordshire.

Back
Top Bottom