Best domain hosting (only need email forwarding)

Associate
OP
I'm in exactly the same position.
Could you please say what you ended up doing?
Thank you.

Also went to Stablepoint. I have 7 domain names, along with their 'Starter Web Hosting' pack. Not had any issues so far, and the range of configuration options, for email in particular, are just in another class compared to 123-Reg.

Associate
Question for nightwish, embalse or anyone using Stablepoint for email forwarding.

I have a domain that was with Google Domains, which they were about to transfer elsewhere, so before they did, I transferred to my current domain host - which has turned out to be a bad choice. All I use the domain for is to forward from me@mydomain to [email protected] (plus three other similar ones). I don't have access to the forwarders and although the technical staff try hard to help, it took two weeks to iron out the forwarding and even now I'm still not receiving some emails. SPF records seem to have been the sticking point.

If I transfer my domain to Stablepoint, is it easy to set up the forwarders and the SPF records and anything else necessary. Are Stablepoint staff able to help?

Thank you

Mike

Soldato
Question for nightwish, embalse or anyone using Stablepoint for email forwarding.

I have a domain that was with Google Domains, which they were about to transfer elsewhere, so before they did, I transferred to my current domain host - which has turned out to be a bad choice. All I use the domain for is to forward from me@mydomain to [email protected] (plus three other similar ones). I don't have access to the forwarders and although the technical staff try hard to help, it took two weeks to iron out the forwarding and even now I'm still not receiving some emails. SPF records seem to have been the sticking point.

If I transfer my domain to Stablepoint, is it easy to set up the forwarders and the SPF records and anything else necessary. Are Stablepoint staff able to help?

Thank you

Mike
I'd say transfer it to PorkBun instead.

Associate
Thanks Cromulent. I looked at porkbun but was put off by their location on the west coast of USA. What would support be like from them in the UK - there is an 8 hour time difference at present?

Mike

Associate
OP

Thank you

Mike

Honestly, I don't know what SPF records are, but Stablepoint appears to offer access to all the config you could ever want. If you just want forwarding, that's easy. Never needed to contact Stablepoint staff, but my impressions overall are positive, so I'd expect the support, if you needed it, would be fine too.

Soldato
@MikePP - Another alternative is to throw the domain into Cloudflare (either transfer the domain, some TLD's aren't support so check first, or just use them for DNS/Nameservers) as it supports email forwarders (they call it email routing) and you can setup your SPF (DNS) records there as well.

For email related records, https://mxtoolbox.com is an extremely handy tool as it'll show what (email) records you've got attached to the domain and what you're missing (DMARC or DKIM for example) whilst being able to see what they all report to an external user/server etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks Cromulent. I looked at porkbun but was put off by their location on the west coast of USA. What would support be like from them in the UK - there is an 8 hour time difference at present?

Mike
Support has always been fine for me but I tend to use Live Chat or email rather than telephone support.

Associate
Hi visibleman. Does that mean I can leave my domain where it is and in addition setup what would be duplicate forwarders in Cloudflare? Mine is a .co.uk domain.

I've had a quck go with mxtoolbox - I need to do some reading to understand what it is telling me. Thank you for the pointer.

Mike

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi visibleman. Does that mean I can leave my domain where it is and in addition setup what would be duplicate forwarders in Cloudflare? Mine is a .co.uk domain.

I've had a quck go with mxtoolbox - I need to do some reading to understand what it is telling me. Thank you for the pointer.

Mike
Yup, create a (free) Cloudflare account, use their nameservers (iirc this is called a 'Full DNS' setup) and then you can use various Cloudflare services like their 'Email Routing' which allows you to setup email forwarders (including catch-all's).
I do exactly that with a few domains.

The addition of this if you were thinking of switching registrars is that you can transfer your domain(s) to Cloudflare, some TLD's are extremely cheap via them, and then you can use their services from there on. Only caveat is that you're locked to using their nameservers/DNS if using them as a registrar.

Back
Top Bottom