best DVD playing software - what do you use?

Associate
i'm in the middle of a fresh install for my system, is WMP sufficent for my DVD playing needs or is there another player that will take advantage of my Xfi SC, 6.1 surround sound?

thoughts and opinions welcome!

in terms of playing everything all i really watch is DVD's and the occasional divx video when i've missed the GP, football etc (of which WMP with a codec works fine with).

does VLC really take full advantage of good hardware, the reason i say this is that its, free, unflashy and small!

or is that the perfect blend?

AcidHell2 said:
wmp, vlc, classic wmp. One of them is bound to work.

i know what your saying, i've used these for years i was just wondering if i've been missing out on anything or whether there is some superior home cinema esq type software, i guess that all comes down to your hardware then and not the software.

was just a thought when me and the gf sat down to watch blow.....

joshlane said:
i know what your saying, i've used these for years i was just wondering if i've been missing out on anything or whether there is some superior home cinema esq type software, i guess that all comes down to your hardware then and not the software.

everyone says vlc plays everything, but I've found plenty that doesn't work on it. I just have all three installed with WMP as default. If it doesn't work in that one then try the others.

I use The Core Media Player, version 4.11 (no newer versions are coming out). But you have to donate to recieve DVD playing abilities. I've found solong as I have codecs installed (you very often need them for vlc anyways) it'll play anything prettymuch, and well.
It'll play everything for free, and the DVD is the only registration (donation) required thing.

I've never liked vlc, I use WMP if I haven't gotton round to installing TCMP.

InvG

I suppose in the end, it is just a case of personal preference with what works best for you on your setup. The players that have been mentioned all individually have good points, some more so than others. :)

jbloggs said:
I suppose in the end, it is just a case of personal preference with what works best for you on your setup. The players that have been mentioned all individually have good points, some more so than others. :)
You should get your username changed to pbloggs for "Philosophical Bloggs".

;):p

Back
Top Bottom