Best 'encrypted' password manager for browsers (chrome/firefox/IE)?

Soldato
Hey

Just wondering if anyone can recommend one of these password managers which encrypt all of your passwords?

I've seen a few but need to make sure they're genuine obviously!

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
thanks guys, had a look. I know visuals mean nothing, but it looks a bit dated/dodgy? lol

Does it remember the passwords for Firefox, or is it a database you unlock and copy/paste every time you want to login kind of thing? (only looked around it briefly have to go out -hoping someone can chip in!)

Caporegime
KeePass, there are extensions for browsers which will automatically populate the username / email & password field when you're on the url you've put in the database.

Soldato
its more than secure enough :) it uses 256bit encryption and its open source, so anybody can see the source code. Any issues with security would be found and dealt with very quickly :)

Does it remember the passwords for Firefox, or is it a database you unlock and copy/paste every time you want to login kind of thing? (only looked around it briefly have to go out -hoping someone can chip in!)

A Bit of both. See the text on auto-typing here: http://keepass.info/help/base/autotype.html

Soldato
Lastpass is probably my favourite. You can have an IE plugin and you can also access your passwords where-ever you are in the World.

M.

MrB

MrB

Associate
Another vote for Keepass from me too. Whenever I've looked at the others (admittedly only brief looks normally), there always seems to be something missing that Keepass provides.

Soldato
I used to use KeePass, but started using Dashlane recently.

It is really, really good. I love how it keeps a 'credit rating' of security, and will automatically notify you if any of your accounts have been compromised, and so on.

Soldato
Forgot to mention - Dashlane is a paid for service if you want to automatically sync passwords between devices.

However you can just export the main encrypted database and put it in dropbox. I did that when I used keepass anyway. :D

Associate
Been using LastPass for a month now, nice and easy to use. Also has the added bonus of being able to access your logins from anywhere in the world, but you do have the option to activate a whitelist so you can only access them from certain countries so it's more secure.

Soldato
KeePass is indeed fantastic. Whilst it's not as convenient as something like LastPass, I can't get over what a terrible idea it seems on paper to transmit every single password you have to a remote server, encrypted or not. Just seems like one more thing to worry about, whereas with a completely offline solution like KeePass, you only need to worry about physical access to your system.

Soldato
If you use single factor (i.e. just a password) then that's probably true. Using two-factor (such as Google Authenticator) makes it much more secure.

Keepass is great for local passwords. I use completely random passwords for all sites. It's easier for me to log in to Lastpass and get my random password that way rather than having to keep my keepass file with me.

M.

P.S. Lastpass's audit is superb as well - showing you if you have the same password for multiple sites and giving you an overall security rating. I also like the fact that it checks your accounts against well known security breaches and advises on that.

Soldato
Personally I use Lastpass as I love the Android app.

But I'd strongly recommend trying KeePass and 1Password too, give them all a try as they have different strengths. I say that as an ex-KeePass user :p

Back
Top Bottom