Best full frame mirrorless

Soldato
Hopefully Nikon up their game with the next mirror less cameras.

Just don't think the z7 will cut it for wildlife and aircraft.

Also not the crazy prices that I've seen on the new cannon range.

Soldato
My trouble with choosing full frame mirror less for a light weight kit is you are still looking at full frame lenses which are generally massive particularly if you want something fast and sharp!

For a light weight kit I’d look at Fuji the smaller sensor means generally smaller lighter lenses and the Fuji output is lovely.

Associate
Hopefully Nikon up their game with the next mirror less cameras.

Just don't think the z7 will cut it for wildlife and aircraft.

Also not the crazy prices that I've seen on the new cannon range.
I think Nikon did a good job considering it was their first attempt at mirrorless. I opted for the Z6 because honestly the ergonomics and menu system were really easy to get into, and the AF is good enough, and will get better. That said, their cameras and lenses are just not as headline grabing and exciting as Canon. I hope they manage to turn the narrative around. The market is in a depressing state.

Soldato
Was Debating a z7 or going d850 from my d750 as I need those megapixels for wildlife and aircraft, however I'm not sure mirror less have as good AF

I imagine once I stick an adapter on a z7 it would almost weigh the same as a 850?

Would love to see the exposure realtime but not sure it's worth it.

Associate
Was Debating a z7 or going d850 from my d750 as I need those megapixels for wildlife and aircraft, however I'm not sure mirror less have as good AF

I imagine once I stick an adapter on a z7 it would almost weigh the same as a 850?

Would love to see the exposure realtime but not sure it's worth it.
Yeah, it will take a generation or 2 to get AF up to and beyond DSLR standards. Keep an eye out for the Z6s/Z7s release, I think their duel processors may aid with improved AF. Fingers crossed.

Soldato
Yeah, it will take a generation or 2 to get AF up to and beyond DSLR standards. Keep an eye out for the Z6s/Z7s release, I think their duel processors may aid with improved AF. Fingers crossed.

Was Debating switching to Sony but can't justify selling and rebuilding so pulled the trigger on a d850 will trade in after a few years once mirror less(Nikon) can equal or better thier DSLRs

Soldato
Yeah that's a better option to up the megapixels & use existing lenses.

This is how I see it. Upgrade when there is a feature set upgrade which you actually need. However,it makes me laugh when these YouTube channels and "review sites",go on about how the latest ILC,has 10000000 AF points and is 1000x better than last month's model which only had 1000000 AF points. One month its Brand X which is the bestest,then its Brand Y,then its Brand Z,and then its back to Brand X. I am looking at some of the supposedly crap kit and thinking I wish I had their crap kit! :p

Then they proceed to take pictures in bright sunshine,with a wide open F0.95 lens,or subject matter than even any half decent 5~10 year old ILC should be fine with.

Was Debating switching to Sony but can't justify selling and rebuilding so pulled the trigger on a d850 will trade in after a few years once mirror less(Nikon) can equal or better thier DSLRs

You did the prudent thing.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had the whole sony switch dilemma from my 5D MK3, however I decided to stick with Canon and my good collection of glass and got the EOS R. I haven't regretted it at all and it's been a monstrous upgrade in the focus department especially. I find I have an incredible amount of successful keepers compared to the MK3. The R5 depending on price should be the best option going forward for anyone currently with canon glass, the adaptor works flawlessly too, not to mention that RF lenses are some of the best in class right now.

Associate
I was coming back into photography, so made sense to go with the Z6, which suited me more than other cameras from Nikon, Sony, and Canon, but I think you you made the sensible choice, it gives you time to see how mirrorless matures as competition heats up, and buy in when you're ready, the D850 is a fantastic camera, the Z7 isn't comparable, though i would purchaise any F mount lenses used going forward, so you're minimising the cost of transition when it comes.

Soldato
I was coming back into photography, so made sense to go with the Z6, which suited me more than other cameras from Nikon, Sony, and Canon, but I think you you made the sensible choice, it gives you time to see how mirrorless matures as competition heats up, and buy in when you're ready, the D850 is a fantastic camera, the Z7 isn't comparable, though i would purchaise any F mount lenses used going forward, so you're minimising the cost of transition when it comes.
Very good point,was just looking at lenses.
Z6 would have been my choice if it wasn't for chasing birds of prey and airplanes,would be great for holidays.

Associate
Very good point,was just looking at lenses.
Z6 would have been my choice if it wasn't for chasing birds of prey and airplanes,would be great for holidays.
Nikon's Zs have caught up for most subject matter, but i wouldn't recommend them for wildlife and sports, credit to Canon for doing steller software with what is a very underpowered processor in the R.

One thing about lenses i found interesting is Nikon's recent update to their Z lens road map didn't prioritise small-aperture telephotos. I suspect because lenses like the 70-300 AF-P are reletively new, and they expect Z users to use them via. the FTZ adaptor for several more years as they focus on other lenses. AF-P lenses were probably the prototypes for Z lenses, so there are areas like those covered by recent AF-P lenses where having F mounts and adaptors will be standard on the Z mount too, until technology has advanced enough with coatings and the like, and demand, to produce something superior to the AF-P lenses on the Z mount, who's advantages are more on the wide spectrum.

Soldato
When I get older I'll probably be bothered but I see it as combining photography and exercise ,two for one.
I understand what you mean. Truth be told I don't mind the size or the weight as I loved the exercise because all I ended up doing was increasing the amount of gear I would carry around (when switching to Sony).

I wish I could have kept the D850 but couldn't afford two separate systems. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Associate
Nikon has a history of pushing out S or X series branded models which had noticeable improvements over the originals. You saw that back in the late 1980s too,and one of the areas which always improved was the AF.
AI and machine learning presents so many unique challenges i hope Nikon can rise up to meet them. The negative news around the industry, and with Olympus selling their imaging division, doesn't make for a very pleasent environment. I think we'll have a good idea of Nikon's commitment and abilities to with Z system come the Z6S and Z7S and Z8. Olympus' E-M1 III was a disspointing update, the proverbial writing on the wall.

Soldato
AI and machine learning presents so many unique challenges i hope Nikon can rise up to meet them. The negative news around the industry, and with Olympus selling their imaging division, doesn't make for a very pleasent environment. I think we'll have a good idea of Nikon's commitment and abilities to with Z system come the Z6S and Z7S and Z8. Olympus' E-M1 III was a disspointing update, the proverbial writing on the wall.

All those technolohies makes sense for smartphones,etc which are snapshot imaging devices,and designed with tiny high readout speed sensors,with very limited focal lengths and poor lenses with no aperture control. Only some of it actually makes sense for dedicated imaging devices targetted towards a crowd who wants to have full creative control(stuff such as fast multi-shot bracketing for extended DR,or better averaging in low light for stationary objects). However,many of those technologies in smartphones,are also very orientated towards the kinds of images taken on smartphones,which are mostly stationary objects,which are determined by the limited focal lengths and form factor of phones.

Associate
All those technolohies makes sense for smartphones,etc which are snapshot imaging devices,and designed with tiny high readout speed sensors,with very limited focal lengths and poor lenses with no aperture control. Only some of it actually makes sense for dedicated imaging devices targetted towards a crowd who wants to have full creative control(stuff such as fast multi-shot bracketing for extended DR,or better averaging in low light for stationary objects). However,many of those technologies in smartphones,are also very orientated towards the kinds of images taken on smartphones,which are mostly stationary objects,which are determined by the limited focal lengths and form factor of phones.
I think following focus as well as Canon or Sony do, with sports, portraits, or animals, is very useful. Personally, the Z6 does good enough that AF isn't an issue anymore for what i use the camera to shoot. I'm just concerned that the popular narrative that Nikon's are not good mirrorless cameras will continue, which will damage the long term prospects of the company in retaining it's DSLR shooters and attracting new ones. That's why i say they need to really grab a lot of attention with their upcoming lens or camera releases. I'm personally happy with my Z6, but these are tough times.

Back
Top Bottom