'Best' GPS app for android?

Soldato
Just thought I'd mention - Tomtom traffic has just had a major update.

Most significantly, users can now report closed roads on the web (temporary road closures now feed into live traffic rather than map updates) and live delays due to weather are included. If you're using an app that uses Tomtom Data (Tomtom or Tomtom Go!, Sygic, Route 66 Navigate) or a Tomtom Live device of some sort, delays and closures should be incorporated into the live feed without any need for a software update.

Word has it that temporary road closures are making it into the live traffic service within a day of being reported by users.

Those with Tomom accounts can report temporary road closures here: http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Quoted from a Tomtom employee on their forums:

Hi all,

Some time ago we announced (link) that we will start using real-time weather information to calculate faster routes.

This is part of TomTom Traffic 8, which was released last Thursday.

TomTom Traffic 8 will include the following features:

• Weather-related delay messages
• Additional closed road messages

There is no need to activate anything on the device, the new feautures will appear automatically where relevant after the launch date.

Weather-related delay messages:
•TomTom recognises bad weather can affect traffic flow and cause delays even though currently the delays might not be considered severe enough to be classed as a jam due to heavy traffic.
•With TomTom Traffic 8, in addition to the incident messages previously available for heavy traffic congestion, closed roads, road works etc, incident messages will now also be published where delays are currently being observed in areas of bad weather.
•TomTom is using ‘precipitation’ data – so this will include rain and snow.

Examples of how these messages will appear on various devices:

Additional closed road messages:
• TomTom now incorporates the community input intelligence from Map Share (on device) and Map Share Reporter (online) where closed roads are reported by drivers
• In addition to contributing to map updates, these closures are also now used as a source in the real-time traffic information

Which devices will get this update?

All TomTom devices/apps with a (LIVE) traffic subscription:

• Car navigation devices
• TomTom smartphone navigation apps (Apple iOS and Android)
• In-built devices

Launch:

All live traffic countries will have additional closed road messages.

The following countries will have weather-related delay messages:
o UK
o Ireland
o Germany
o France
o Spain
o Belgium
o Netherlands
o Norway
o Sweden
o Denmark
o Finland
o United States

More countries will be supported in future releases.

Drive safe!

Last edited:
Soldato
Google navigation had a major upgrade recently. The traffic info is much more detailed now - I'd say on par with Tomtom. It seems to cover a much greater proportion of roads than before. Tomtom seems to get more timely trunk road closure info from Highways England but its closure data off the strategic road network is a bit hit and miss. Google's now including it's own temporary clousres and Waze info, meaning it's sometimes better than Tomtom once you get away from the trunk roads.. The two are trading blows, rather than Tomtom being the clear leader - as it has been for the last few years.

I'm currently testing a few apps at the moment. Switching between Google, Route 66, Tomtom Go, and Magic Earth (basically R66 with OpenStreetMap instead of Tomtom Maps - both R66 and Magic Earth use Tomtom Traffic info).

TBC but I think Tomtom Go is still the best for quickly adjusting the route with changing traffic conditions, then Route 66 / Magic Earth and then Google. Route 66 is probably best for initial route planning. Magic Earth's default routes aren't as good as Route 66 because the maps lack real data on historic traffic (Tomtom and Google maps both include average speed for time of day and day of the week). It remains to be seen whether Google can find ways around some of the typical traffic on my commute in the way that TT and Route 66 can. Google's routing algorithm seems to be more basic than TT / Route 66. I'm testing them all at the moment to see if a clear winner emerges.

Google's recent traffic upgrade is a major step forward. It's perhaps the first time I've ever known them to be competitive with Tomtom for road coverage. I think Tomtom and Route 66 still have the edge in terms of routing algorithm but it's pretty close.

In terms of up-to-date mapping Google is the clear leader. Tomtom's updates are quarterly and Route 66 seems to be twice a year. Tomtom are due to upgrade to 'realtime' maps in NDS format (which allows incremental changes rather than full downloads) at some point but I think it's some way off for the Tomtom Go navigation app. The 'realtime' maps are already live in Tomtom's MyDrive app but that's just a route planner not a navigation app.

I'm going run these apps in parallel for the time being to observe the differences. Based purely on capacity for avoiding traffic on a commute, Google's now within shooting distance of taking out my recommendation for paid navigation apps. If that happens, it will be the first time since Tomtom launched on Android back in 2012.

Edit: No sooner had I posted the above when Magic Earth removed the ability to subscribe to TomTom Traffic. Users that already subscribed may continue to use it for the duration of their subscription.

Last edited:
Soldato
Update on the testing.

I ran Route 66 Navigate and Google Maps Navigation in split window mode on my Samsung Galaxy Alpha (Tomtom doesn't work in split window mode but you can run it in the background to compare audio) for the commute home last night in heavy traffic.

Both seem to detect traffic jams with reasonable accuracy. However Google Maps simply fails to 'see' some of the alternative routes around the jams that R66 does. I decided to follow Google maps and it put me straight into traffic that both apps knew was there. Not wanting to just sit in it, I let Route 66 get me out of the mess - which t did quickly and efficiently.

During initial Route planning both Route 66 and Tomtom plan the overall fastest route. They are usually very similar for routing, with the odd minor divergence. Tomtom is then slighly faster to divert if the traffic situation changes. It looks for a 1 minute saving. Route 66 looks for a 3 minute saving before recalculating.

So - unfortunately, although the actual traffic info in Google maps is now pretty much on par with Tomtom, the routing engine doesn't do it justice. Perhaps one day Google will stick Waze's routing algorithm in Maps or Google Traffic in Waze? Until then - Tomtom and Route 66 remain the better commuting tools for avoiding traffic.

The exception is when the road layout changes on your commute. Google often has it updated withon days or weeks, especially if you report a problem (using the in app tool) or make an edit in Map maker. Map updates for Tomtom typically take 6-9 months to make it into Tomtom Go and up to a year to make it into Route 66 Navigate. Until Tomtom move the maps in Tomtom Go to the NDS standard, allowing incremental updates, Google is likely to remain the market leader there.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
And Waze. I've adopted Waze as the go to now on both phone and the car stereo. It's just better rounded logically with its features. Like popping up fuel prices when you're near a petrol station on your route, or asking if you're in heavy traffic if you're constantly stop starting - Or if there a vehicle stranded on the shoulder when driving in sections of unlit or weathered motorway etc.

The community reporting aspect of Waze just beats them all IMO.

Associate
Uriel - you have your finger on the sat nav app pulse :D Do you know if Tomtom Go or Route66 Navigate have any plans to support Android Auto.

I've got a Pioneer Avic F77-DAB head unit in my truck which supports android auto and find it works very well. Only nav option is google maps which in honesty keeps getting better. Some third party nav app AA support would be good?

Pioneer headunit has built in sat nav which isn't bad though I've not really got to grips with it. Only thing I do notice is extras and map updates you pay through the nose for :eek: Also you have 45 days after first use of nav unit to snag the latest maps after which you have to pay for them.

Soldato
I had to Google Android Auto. I've not heard about plans from Tomtom or R66 to support it.

From a quick browse, I see they have Sygic as an option for Google Auto. It's a couple of years since I last used Sygic. Although it uses the same maps and traffic info as R66 and Tomtom, unfortunately the routing was terrible. I suppose they might have improved it since then but, as it was, I couldn't recommend it.

Having said that, Route 66 have incorporated several features into the app that I've suggested to them, when sending customer feedback. Their customer service has been really good: on more than one occasion I've had their programmers get in touch and features added or bugs fixed very quickly (one one occasion they had a server-side fix for a traffic issue I spotted up and running within the day!). If it interests you, why not contact them and suggest it? I can certainly vouch for their customer services passing on suggestions to the developers.

Last edited:
Associate
I dropped a line to support @ route66app to ask if they have any plans. I let you know when (and if) I hear back.

Android Auto works quite well. Not perfect but will improve over time. It limits what you can do and relies a lot on speech, which isn't bad. No interaction with the phone is allowed and in such as Google Play Music you are limited to the number of 'taps' on the head unit. It shows a few playlists but you can't access your albums. You can ask via speech for an artist or album (possibly) and works most of the time. All new and not tried spotify yet. Google Maps works well. I'm all for minimum interaction and not taking your eyes or attention away from driving and the road.

Soldato
I've suggested to a Tomtom employee on another forum that they incorporate Android Auto support in a future update. They've said they'll pass the suggestion to the relevant team.

Fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom