Best headphone for competitive games FPS 300-400€£

Soldato
I certainly helps over having onboard sound, cheap earphones and a poor quality mic.

I use onboard sound with cloud x headphones and I usually can work out where enemies are coming from.

it’s a 2015 motherboard with supreme fx.... is this any good or would it be even better to get a dedicated sound card?

here is advertising blurb.....

ROG provides you with the very best gaming-audio inputs and outputs, with special shielded designs, and a collection of carefully selected professional-grade audio components, including an ESS ES9023P digital-to-analog converter (DAC) with Hyperstream™ technology, ultra-low-jitter clock, Nichicon capacitors, 2Vrms headphone amp, and Sonic SenseAmp that automatically detects and optimizes any headset (32-600 ohms) for purest sound quality. SupremeFX 2015 also features intuitive Sonic Studio II for you to apply and enjoy different audio effects for perfect entertainment, plus Perfect Noise noise-cancellation technology for team conversations with total clarity.

Associate
OP
Hello again, it's been a few months trying my new sound setup. I have to say it's really confortable. I can use it for hours without any problem. With the sound card AE-5 it's very nice when you play. Was annoying at first, I tried mostly all settings, some of then very accurate on positioning right or left, but you could notice how sound disappear on the front and back. Scout mode, same problem, even trying a custom audio. Finally, in going at the moment with direct sound, and with DTS home cinema. It's the one I can feel where the enemies are. After long time with scout mode, thinking it was the best, I realised how rich the sound was with direct mode. Of course, only talking about CoD warzone.
If anyone has another configuration, I would like to know to try it.
I love mi new headphones.
All the best.

Associate
Disable all sound processing on your soundcard and enable dolby atmos for headphones game mode using the dolby access app from microsoft store.

Soldato
I use onboard sound with cloud x headphones and I usually can work out where enemies are coming from.

it’s a 2015 motherboard with supreme fx.... is this any good or would it be even better to get a dedicated sound card?

here is advertising blurb.....

ROG provides you with the very best gaming-audio inputs and outputs, with special shielded designs, and a collection of carefully selected professional-grade audio components, including an ESS ES9023P digital-to-analog converter (DAC) with Hyperstream™ technology, ultra-low-jitter clock, Nichicon capacitors, 2Vrms headphone amp, and Sonic SenseAmp that automatically detects and optimizes any headset (32-600 ohms) for purest sound quality. SupremeFX 2015 also features intuitive Sonic Studio II for you to apply and enjoy different audio effects for perfect entertainment, plus Perfect Noise noise-cancellation technology for team conversations with total clarity.

As far as I know old motherboards used to be weak and have a lot of signal processing noise. Eventually manufacturers started isolating components, shielding and them and using higher quality components and now motherboards are quite good at generating a relatively clean signal. The main flaw that motherboard audio still has today is they are weak, if you plug in a high end pair of headphones the headphones may not get very loud or be able to generate its full sound range compared to a stand alone soundcard/dac that can supply the headphones with more power

Soldato
I spent a while looking at what the best headphones for gaming are recently.

I only looked at open back, closed backs should only be used in a noisy environment like a LAN, at home in your room open back is better.

There are many good headphones for this purpose but the one I saw recvomended more than any other was the Seinheisser HD800s, it is the king of first person shooter soundstage imaging.

if you have a smaller budget, the Drop PC380x is also exceptionally good, especially for its price.

The HD660s is also a good option, but it's not a whole bunch better than the PC380x for the money and you'd be better off saving up for the HD800s.

Diminishing returns kicks in quite hard for headphones and if you care about value the PC380x is the best bang for buck, it's a good price and has pretty much 98% of the same soundstage imaging as the HD660s which is double the price

Last edited:
Associate
660s has very small soundstage and very accurate imaging. it is not particularly a good thing when you say the PC38X has 98% of the 660s soundstage for competitive FPS gaming, unless the person asking plays exclusively close quarter FPS games like CSGO and TC Siege.

The 660s and 58X are good for CQ FPS games like CSGO and TC:Siege, not with open map games like battlefield. For large maps, you need headphone with relatively large soundstage and very good imaging like: (ordered from most expensive) Beyer T1.2, Senn HD800s, Aeon 2, HF Edition XS, Sundara, Senn HD599SE, K702.

Also comparing a $1,800 headphone, the HD800s, with a $130 headphone, the PC38X, is not the right approach when giving advice.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lots of people in the thread have already provided other options and price points. I present an entry, mid range and high end option, certainly not the only options.

Sorry, wouldn't know anything about Battlefield - shooters I play lend themselves more to this (counter strike go, overwatch, halo infinite, call of duty etc - those are games I play and none have massive maps)

Associate
Sennheiser HD560 is a step up from the PC38x imho (and broadly the same price!) - although you will need to add the costs of a boom mic to turn it into a headset. Advantage is, you won't have a mic hanging off your headphones when listening to music. I find the 560 more comfortable (wider pads) and more accurate for spacial cues and also for creating a more natural soundscape.

Associate
I find DROP products to be overhyped with their reviews on the internet and many users who are new to a product category jump on the bandwagon and further inflate the balloon.
HD560 is attested for its great imaging and a little bit bigger stage than the 660s (660s has even more accurate imaging though). However, many users say the 560 is not as exciting with its sound signature for gaming, and the counter-argument is: if you are playing competitively to win, who cares about the sound signature. If someone owns K702 and is looking to retain the massive soundstage as much as possible while improving on the accuracy of imaging i would never suggest the PC38X or the 660s due to lack of stage relatively speaking. my list in post #29 has some relevant upgrades.

Associate
I find DROP products to be overhyped with their reviews on the internet and many users who are new to a product category jump on the bandwagon and further inflate the balloon.
HD560 is attested for its great imaging and a little bit bigger stage than the 660s (660s has even more accurate imaging though). However, many users say the 560 is not as exciting with its sound signature for gaming, and the counter-argument is: if you are playing competitively to win, who cares about the sound signature. If someone owns K702 and is looking to retain the massive soundstage as much as possible while improving on the accuracy of imaging i would never suggest the PC38X or the 660s due to lack of stage relatively speaking. my list in post #29 has some relevant upgrades.

Yea - the 560s won't have the bloated bass most gamers want :p - they are very neutral sounding but for me, they just make games sound 'real' for want of a better way to explain. I'm very far from a competitive gamer but like the fact they don't seem to over exaggerate any part of the sound.

Back
Top Bottom