Best headphones sub £100?

Soldato
I have been reading a few of the posts on here and I decided to buy a pair of CAL/s for £51. I'm completely confident this week sound amazing especially for so cheap. However if I'm completely honest I think these headphones don't look very appealing and as annoying as it may seem I would like my headphones to perform good and sound good also.
Is there anything out there sub £100 or maybe a little more that performs the same/better that looks better and if possible has wireless capabilities? I will use it mostly for my PC for gaming/music/movies/tv but I would like to take them on journeys away and would like wireless.

For example how do these compare?

http://uk.akg.com/akg-product-detail_uk/k619blu.html

Thank you.

Last edited:
Soldato
I personally don't like any headphones that sit on my ears :/ It just ends up annoying me and possible also being uncomfortable so I would try something similar if you've never had any like that.

I've never bothered to look up what the CALs look like till now and personally I think they look alright :) The only other thing I've tried that's around the £100 mark is the Beyerdynamic DT 770 and if you don't like the looks of the CAL then I doubt you'll think much of those :p

Soldato
Also, I doubt you'll get wireless in that package. I've got some old wireless Sennheiser RS 130 headphones. They're ok but nothing special and not much compared to even my MMX 300 headset which is basically a DT 770.

Associate
I really enjoy pretty much any of AKG's pro range, as I come from a bit of a sound engineering background. I've just ordered a set of these and am very pleased with the performance of them AKG K99 If your buying decent headphones ie more that £30-40 you will be best to run them through a headphone amp after the sound card to get the best from them.

C64

C64

Soldato
Creative aurvana live are good for £50 for around £100 or £120 I should say the beyerdynamic range are good.
There aren't really any stand out headphones for under £100 (without build quality issues) apart from the creatives.

Soldato
I just ordered the AKG also might try them both quickly and return the ones I don't like I know it's a bit cheeky.

Not really. That's what the DSR is for. You can't try out or examine goods from distance selling as you can in a shop. Quite a few etailers don't like this though, as they don't want to deal with returned opened products, so they tell consumers products can only be returned for refund if it has not been opened. Many companies more than likely rely on the consumer not knowing his/her rights when it comes to DSR. It's easier for them if the consumer thinks that he/she cannot return opened goods within 7 days.

Soldato
OP
What is your opinion of the AKG headphones Marsman? A lot of the threads I read you recommended the cals which seayed my decision towards them.

Soldato
OP
Think I'm going to cancel the order on the AKG's no where does it say the sound quality is great just mediocre and bass heavy. I know for a fact I'd just be disappointed and much prefer better sound over aesthetics.

Soldato
Well if you don't mind the hassle of having to return stuff then there's nothing wrong with waiting till they arrive and then returning them if you don't like em.

If you're still not sure then cancel and find something that seems to fit your needs better :)

Soldato
OP
I've just got the Creative's through the post and I have to say the sound quality is superb much better than anything else I've ever used the sounds are just so crisp and clear although a lack of volume control is a bit annoying. I'll stick with these for a while I think until maybe I find a alternative in the future that look better with more control options.

Soldato
Well if you're already considering upgrading, you could look at getting a headphone amp next. You don't need to spend a fortune and you'll then get a nice shiny volume knob on your desk and something to plug your future better headphones into :)

Associate
If you can push the extra £24 you could get the Audio Technica ATH M50. The difference that £24 could make is just worth it.

Try to Demo them in a store I promise you.

Soldato
OP
just a quick update since then I have bought a Creative Sound Blaster Z and bought a pair of AKG K550's also. Sold my Cal's to my brother cheaply.

Soldato
OP
Cal's sounded amazing but these are even more so really pleased with them! I can't fault them at all and they look really good as well build so beautifully.

Back
Top Bottom