Best network at the moment to use.

Soldato
I'm more interested in providers that don't have the CPI +3.9% clause in their contract? Are there any?

I think it's ridiculous that if inflation is positive, you get hit with the CPI and +3.9% but if inflation is negative, you'll still get the +3.9%.

I'm aware there's some legislation coming down the line around this, but I'm not clear on if the legislation is to ban mid contract price rises or if they're just changing how they're implemented.

It's so stupid - a couple of years ago I was with Plusnet for broadband and they wanted £27.99 a month after mid-contract price increase for 76mb FTTC, I saw an advert for the same package last week which was advertising it ~£24/25 a month.

Soldato
It's so stupid - a couple of years ago I was with Plusnet for broadband and they wanted £27.99 a month after mid-contract price increase for 76mb FTTC, I saw an advert for the same package last week which was advertising it ~£24/25 a month.
you mean it's a newbie con by plusnet and the £24/£25 will itself be hiked mid-term

----------------------

HD calling OK seems HD calling is stil patchy between networks - like
Three to EE is HD
EE to Three is not

maybe my vodaphone/lebara iphone sim imposes further limitations.

EVS ! I'd never heard of EVS mentioned in that thread

EVS (Stands for Evoluted Voice Services) only works for EE to EE calls, Three to Thee calls and Vodafone to Vodafone calls. It offers CD like audio quality and is the best you can get. These calls sound like the person is in the room with you - EVS calls require a supported device and network to function accordingly.

Soldato
you mean it's a newbie con by plusnet and the £24/£25 will itself be hiked mid-term

----------------------

HD calling OK seems HD calling is stil patchy between networks - like

maybe my vodaphone/lebara iphone sim imposes further limitations.

EVS ! I'd never heard of EVS mentioned in that thread
Huh, can't believe I never noticed that. Just checked my call history with someone I contact with often, I'm on EE, they're with 3, never realised all my outgoing calls to them weren't on HD, yet all the incoming calls are.

Checking with another person on O2, EE to O2 both ways at least seems to be HD. No idea about Vodafone, don't know anyone on them.

Soldato
I'm more interested in providers that don't have the CPI +3.9% clause in their contract? Are there any?

I think it's ridiculous that if inflation is positive, you get hit with the CPI and +3.9% but if inflation is negative, you'll still get the +3.9%.

I'm aware there's some legislation coming down the line around this, but I'm not clear on if the legislation is to ban mid contract price rises or if they're just changing how they're implemented.

I'd say most providers don't increase prices by CPI + 3.9%, it's just the large brands who have to pay for retail stores and Kevin Bacon who do.

A contract for sim only is pretty unnecessary nowadays with so many MNVOs offering loads if data for dirt cheap on a monthly basis.

Soldato
I'd say most providers don't increase prices by CPI + 3.9%, it's just the large brands who have to pay for retail stores and Kevin Bacon who do.

A contract for sim only is pretty unnecessary nowadays with so many MNVOs offering loads if data for dirt cheap on a monthly basis.

Hmm, I'm not sure I agree with that. The big 4 (EE, Three, Vodafone and O2) account for 70%+ market share and they all increased their prices by either CPI or RPI +3.9% in April this year.

I would be onboard with going the a MNVO that ran on a decent network (Vodafone or EE) if they didn't have a price increase clause.

Just to say EE have dropped the CPI % increase thing. They now just do a £1.50 increase instead. So a 24 month contract will be no more than £3 extra in the final year.

After I posted above, I can see Ofcom are pressing for operators to state increases in absolute cash rather than percentage. I'm assuming EE are just getting ahead of the game, and their absolute increase will be based on average earning per user + desired %increase.

I personally think mid contract price rises need banning, there's nothing stopping an operator from increasing prices as the end of the contract to offset trading cost increases and/or to invest in their network.

Soldato
Hmm, I'm not sure I agree with that. The big 4 (EE, Three, Vodafone and O2) account for 70%+ market share and they all increased their prices by either CPI or RPI +3.9% in April this year.

I would be onboard with going the a MNVO that ran on a decent network (Vodafone or EE) if they didn't have a price increase clause.
Those are the 4 that have to pay for retail stores and Kevin Bacon.

1p, smarty, lebara and giffgaff are MVNOs all don't rise prices and are on the big 4 networks in the order listed above.

I use 1p mobile as they provide the full EE reception, receive all calls and texts and for a reasonable price on a 1 month rolling contract. I think Lebara do the same on vodafone and are incredibly cheap with deals.

I understand the principle behind the mid contract price rise but it's implemented in completely 1 sided fashion. If the price could go up or down with inflation then it'd be fine but banning it is much better than what we have now.

Soldato
well it's the same as the home energy/price caps those are related to the economy, just a pity there don't seem to be good combined mobile&broadband tarifs

HD calling - need to find a vodaphone buddy to experience this near cd quality EVS.

Soldato
I'm with 02 and it's terrible up here but my contract has finally ran out so I'm free to month from this month, I was thinking Lebara as it's on Vodaphone and people seem to say the Vodaphone signal is generally pretty good. Do we have many people on Lebara here? If yes, what are they like?

Soldato
I'm with 02 and it's terrible up here but my contract has finally ran out so I'm free to month from this month, I was thinking Lebara as it's on Vodaphone and people seem to say the Vodaphone signal is generally pretty good. Do we have many people on Lebara here? If yes, what are they like?
Whether the signal is any good is entirely dependent on where you are. I rate Vodafone as 2nd to EE for coverage (o2 third and 3 last)

Lebara are pretty good, for the price you can trial it at no great loss.

Man of Honour
On a slight tangent to this thread. 3 used to have a 100mb free sim that would just give you 100mb per month for free. I used to use it in my wife's car for her infotainment system, it was brilliant. I lost the dongle, though after a bit of a clear out at home, I found it again. Clearly it doesn't work anymore it won't connect to 3, but are there any sims around that do something similar at the moment?

Back
Top Bottom