Best Router For Low SNR?

Associate
I have been trying to get a great router for low SNR. I have tried a Billion 7800 but it is awful at holding a low SNR. I have an old SpeedTouch 585v6 which is good but it is quite old now and it has a bug where the internet turns off, but not the DSL. This is fixed in later firmwares but you can't tweak the SNR.

Can anybody suggest some more routers that I could try?

Caporegime
When i had ADSL i had a Belkin, cant remember the exact one sorry, but it would hold a signal down to silly low levels. Which at the time ment i could sync at 7mbits rather than the 5mbits that was at 6db..

People always slated the Belkin stuff but in this respect it was amazing for me at least

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I'd recommend one that's based around a Broadcom chip set as from my experiences these seem to have been the most stable. I would personally avoid Alcatel and Conexant based routers.

IIRC You can't tweak the SNR ratio on a ADSL2+ line like you can on a ASDL MAX line.

A 44db downstream attenuation would suggest your line is around 3.2KM in length.

I have a 28/29db downstream attenuation which rought aroun 1.8KM from my local exchange.

Associate
OP
I need a Broadcom to tweak the SNR which is what I am looking for.

Here is what it needs to have:
Broadcom chipset
Tweakable SNR
Good at low SNR (under 4dB)
Made in the last couple of years

Not necessary, but that I would like:
WiFi (N preferably)

Associate
I have been trying to get a great router for low SNR. I have tried a Billion 7800 but it is awful at holding a low SNR. I have an old SpeedTouch 585v6 which is good but it is quite old now and it has a bug where the internet turns off, but not the DSL. This is fixed in later firmwares but you can't tweak the SNR.

Can anybody suggest some more routers that I could try?
I'm surprised the Billion bipac 7800n did not work for you.

I have a long line myself and was only getting over 2MB, but after getting the Billion bipac 7800n I mange to get a stable 5.80mb and my upload went up as well. I have a stable line noise of 1dB.

Do you still have the Billion bipac 7800n?

Soldato
For a Broadcom chipset Netgear has a few models.

There is the old DG834GT, but price seems high.

Out of the current model range starting with DGNxx00 (replace xx with numbers) I'm sure some use Broadcom, but don't know which exactly.

Associate
OP
Has anybody got a router that they can confirm holds an SNR lower than 5dB? If it helps my current line stats are:

Uptime: 0 days, 21:08:17

Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 4,576

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 151.44 / 1.95

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 41.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 14.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / 

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 16,354 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 70 / 898,705

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 30 / 880,085

The SpeedTouch seems to report massive amounts of errors so they can be ignored.

Associate
It was a 7800 not N. I do have it but it's sealed in a box ready to go back to Amazon.
Oh sorry missed read it /:

Here is mine with a Bibac 7800n

DSP Firmware Version A2pB025f.d22k
DMT Status No Defect
Operational Mode ADSL2+
Upstream 1079
Downstream 6650
SNR Margin(Upstream) 5.2
SNR Margin(Downstream) 1.9
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 27.0
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 52.0

Mine went from under 3mb to what it is now. You should get a 7800n and try that if you can and make sure you have it up to date.

Have you removed your bell wire and are you connected too the master socket or extension socket?

Associate
By the way, what's the up time on your router? I need one that can hold for more than three days as I am on the BT IP profile system.

Thanks.

Well my mine gets turned of every night so it's on for about 15h then off. But when I turn it back on I never have less speed or higher SNR.

If you haven't remove the bell wire & add a Iplate if it can be uses with your master socket. If you ain't connected too your master socket it will be useless using a Iplate.

Back
Top Bottom