Best savings account?

Soldato
Looks like Nationwide is £100 paid out, the link above has updated now.

Am eligible unlike last year!

We’re giving eligible members £100​

If you’re eligible, you can expect to receive the payment between 13 June and 28 June 2024. You don’t need to do anything. So long as you still have an open current account with us, we’ll transfer it straight to you. Should you only have a joint current account, this is where we’ll make the payment.
For more details about the Nationwide Fairer Share Payment read our terms and conditions.

Underboss
Not confirmed yet, but Nationwide could repeat the fairer sharer payment this year, find out tomorrow.

I missed out last time but I switched over my main current AC, so I now have Current AC, Reg Saver, and Mortgage, should be eligible if they repeat it.

Beating it how? On volume maybe but won't be £ for £.

136 quid a year for 300 a month
I'm getting 250 quid a year with the amount i have

Soldato

Assuming interest is calculated daily, your regular saver having a higher % of headline interest is still the best place to put it as it comes in.

When it matures, you get the cash back and the money would have earnt more interest than drip-feeding it into a normal Cash ISA at the same rate.

Only exception to this rule I can think of is if you are a super high earner who has to pay tax on the income outside of an ISA. Most of us won't hit tax liabilities from a single regular saver though even higher earners get £500 per year tax free allowance for this.

Soldato
Am sadly not eligible for the nationwide bonus, I have the accounts but the current account is dormant and just there to keep the regular saver alive.
That's assuming you leave the rest in a 0% account.

I pay 3 of my regular savers from my monthly salary, the forth from my savings. Essentially I "upgrade" £150pm from 5.2% to 6.17%

Soldato
Looks like Nationwide is £100 paid out, the link above has updated now.

Am eligible unlike last year!

We’re giving eligible members £100​

If you’re eligible, you can expect to receive the payment between 13 June and 28 June 2024. You don’t need to do anything. So long as you still have an open current account with us, we’ll transfer it straight to you. Should you only have a joint current account, this is where we’ll make the payment.
For more details about the Nationwide Fairer Share Payment read our terms and conditions.
Yep, got my email too. :D

Associate
Another £200 coming from Nationwide this year (joint acct). But the account costs us £13/month which gives us travel insurance, mobile phone insurance and breakdown cover. Better than nothing I suppose.

Caporegime
With t212 being flexible over moved some cash over that i need soon.
Such a great thing to have to be able to add and remove cash without losing the allowance

Will be ditching premium bonds for it

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm going to open a nationwide account as well.
I've switched banks a lot. But I have to say nationwides platform has been best I've used.

And I've used:
Santander
FD
TSB (second best)
Lloyds
HSBC
Natwest
Coop (that was bad)
Halifax
Tesco
Sainsbury's

Do they still use that pesky card reader though? That drove me bananas

Edit.
Don't switch yet though. Might be a 200 pound offer for switching coming soon apparently

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's all my flatmate complains about. I think it's used less now with app updates and biometrics but new payees require it

It used to be terrible. You'd want to make a BT and if you didn't have your card reader (ie abroad or just it if the house) you'd be stuffed.

It was the reason I originally switched away

I'm really surprised how good TSB is. The interface is so clear. And it's been so easy to use
And was surprised how much love FD got. Found the app horrible.

Santander was pretty bad too. Part of that is I hate the colour red. Honestly, it sounds ridiculous, but seeing red all over the screen irked me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Awww I didn't get the email.

I have a Flex Current account but nothing in there, only have money in their savings account.

I got the email from them just now... I dont use the Flex Account either but have 2 x savings accounts (money gets paid into Flex and then transferred out to the savings so maybe that counts?)

Do they still use that pesky card reader though? That drove me bananas
It's all my flatmate complains about. I think it's used less now with app updates and biometrics but new payees require it

They do however I have noticed that its now asking me if I want to "join the thousands making payments without the reader" so I guess they have changed it if you want to. The issue is, to activate this feature, you need to use the card reader to set it up :cry:

Last edited:
Caporegime
They do however I have noticed that its now asking me if I want to "join the thousands making payments without the reader" so I guess they have changed it if you want to. The issue is, to activate this feature, you need to use the card reader to set it up :cry:
YES!

I got that message too about needing the reader to get rid of the reader...so I need to request one from them in order to get rid of it....what a joke. I never had the reader to begin with lol At least I don't remember ever seeing it around the house.

Caporegime
I got the email from them just now... I dont use the Flex Account either but have 2 x savings accounts (money gets paid into Flex and then transferred out to the savings so maybe that counts?)

Praise be.
Ive spoken to me than one person who's left due to that card reader. Everything else was spot on.

Soldato
YES!

I got that message too about needing the reader to get rid of the reader...so I need to request one from them in order to get rid of it....what a joke. I never had the reader to begin with lol At least I don't remember ever seeing it around the house.

Any card reader will work, it doesnt have to be NW one.... They are all the same internals with different casings/brandings.... I think my NW ran out so I used the Barclays one that still had power in it.

Back
Top Bottom