Best savings account?

Are you sure? Below is what Google says -

"interest earned in an Individual Savings Account (ISA) remains tax-free as long as you withdraw it within the same tax year and you haven't exceeded your annual deposit allowance. Withdrawals from an ISA, including interest, dividends, or cash from selling investments, don't count as taxable income and don't need to be included on a UK tax return. "
The Halifax ISA team informed me that any interest transferred out of the ISA becomes taxable once it leaves the ISA account. I wanted the interest to be paid into my current account to cover bills, and this is when they advised me of this.

Am not sure what people are getting confused about but if you put 20K into your 24/25 cash isa and on April 4th 2025 the balance is 21K due to interest then that 21K is still in the ISA wrapper and tax protected.
Correct, but I requested the interest to be transferred out monthly, which Halifax confirmed the interest would become taxable - I didn’t realise it became taxable at that point.

Correct, but I requested the interest to be transferred out monthly, which Halifax confirmed the interest would become taxable - I didn’t realise it became taxable at that point.
Earnings inside an isa are tax free and can be transferred out without paying tax, were you asking them to pay the interest directly to a different account? also why aren't you letting you isa compound :confused:

I wonder if he means withdrawing from the ISA and putting that money into a current account, and then the interest gained within that account is subject to tax?

Is anyone thinking of leaving zopa then? It's a bit of a faff for approx £8 per month. Is there any providers that are going to stick to 5% plus rates ?

How likely is it they will increase again?

Maybe in half a year it would have been alright for me to fix but it's not worth it now. Plus fixing is not flexible and they don't pay interest monthly I believe

This seems to be your issue, you want a fixed rate but don't want to commit to locking it away. You need to pick one or the other. If you want immediate access to your money then you need to accept not getting the best rate.

Considering what's going on in the US economy, it sounds like they're about to anchor on the brakes as the high interest is stifling their economy, so I don't see interest rates going back up over 5% as the UK will likely follow suit.

Unless you're needing your 40k imminently, I would look at locking it away at the best fixed rate that's available today.

Why would you think it wouldn't be taxable at that point? It's no longer within the tax-free wrapper. You won't pay interest on the initial earnings from the ISA, but any future earnings from it would be subject to taxation. You should always have your interest from ISAs paid back into the account.

Question about ISA and tax :)
When your ISA matures,you transfer x amount into your no interest bank account,does that amount get taxed :confused:
Always used an accountant before i retired so no clue

Looking for a savings account for my son, 4. Have around £1000 already in the halifax kids monthly saver that ends next month that will pay 5.50%. What are the best options?

Question about ISA and tax :)
When your ISA matures,you transfer x amount into your no interest bank account,does that amount get taxed :confused:
Always used an accountant before i retired so no clue

You also only get taxed on the interest earnings over £500/£1000 depending on the amount of tax you pay.

Looking for a savings account for my son, 4. Have around £1000 already in the halifax kids monthly saver that ends next month that will pay 5.50%. What are the best options?

Sounds like Halifax still have one of the best rates, so maybe worth renewing.

Saffron BS have a slightly higher rate, but it's variable (so likely to drop over the coming months), and needs to be opened in branch or via post.

Frankly I'd just renew with the Halifax.

Why would you think it wouldn't be taxable at that point? It's no longer within the tax-free wrapper. You won't pay interest on the initial earnings from the ISA, but any future earnings from it would be subject to taxation. You should always have your interest from ISAs paid back into the account.
I just didn’t realise, and no longer transfer the interest out.

Earnings inside an isa are tax free and can be transferred out without paying tax, were you asking them to pay the interest directly to a different account? also why aren't you letting you isa compound :confused:
I was as I didn’t realise however, I have since cancelled the request thus, the interest now remains in the isa wrap.

ISAs really aren't that hard.

Its a tax free wrapper, anything inside the wrapper is tax free. So if its cash or shares its tax free. You can ADD £20k a year as thats the allowance. You can leave whats in there within an ISA if you want and add another £20k (maximum) each tax year you choose to.
The interest unless you withdraw it sits within the ISA and hence is tax free. There is no differentiation on where the funds within an ISA come from, if its in its tax free.

The moment you take take money out of an ISA whether that is original capital or interest its just normal money, as if you earned it, inherited it, won it etc.
From that point in time it will be taxable if you earn interest on it, but as of the point of withdrawl from the ISA there is no tax due.

Back
Top Bottom