Best savings account?

With the Nutmeg deal, did you guys just select the Fully Managed General Investment "pot" and then just smashing a grand in it?

Edit - Also, for those that are treating Chase as a payment type card (and possibly savings) for the 1% reward, are you just standing order (or similar) £500 in and out of the account every month to keep the 1% going?
Yeah pretty much. For your second Q, I'll just do that but manually.

I don't think I can transfer cash JISA to S&S JISA can I?

What I'm probably going to do is switch her monthly contribution to 100% S&S and just leave the cash JISA as it is with no further contributions.
I'm not a JISA expert - I use part of my ISA for investments like this for family. But according to Fidelity, yes you can switch between. If it was me, I would gradually switch that existing capital over. The value of money erodes so much over these kind of timeframes.

I'm not a JISA expert - I use part of my ISA for investments like this for family. But according to Fidelity, yes you can switch between. If it was me, I would gradually switch that existing capital over. The value of money erodes so much over these kind of timeframes.

According to Vanguard I can't - the issue is that a child can only have one of each type of JISA open at any time. I'm investing in the LifeStrategy 100% Equity Fund and I can switch if I wanted to, but I can't transfer partial cash JISA funds. I'm not even sure that I could transfer from cash JISA to S&S; I think it needs to go like for like.

wmMANr8.jpeg

Last edited:
Regarding the Chase/Nutmeg deal, what are the tax implications if you invest in the 'General Investment' pot?

I already have a separate ISA that I'm paying into this year, and I'm not interested in locking it into a pension, so it would have to go in the general investment pot.

I'm not sure how tax works on investments outside of an ISA though.

Let's assume the £1000 I pay in turns into £1100 in 6 months time, and I choose to withdraw the lot. The capital gains tax allowance is much higher than the £100 I've made so am I right in saying I don't need to pay any tax or declare anything?

Last edited:
Regarding the Chase/Nutmeg deal, what are the tax implications if you invest in the 'General Investment' pot?

I already have a separate ISA that I'm paying into this year, and I'm not interested in locking it into a pension, so it would have to go in the general investment pot.

I'm not sure how tax works on investments outside of an ISA though.

Let's assume the £1000 I pay in turns into £1100 in 6 months time, and I choose to withdraw the lot. The capital gains tax allowance is much higher than the £100 I've made so am I right in saying I don't need to pay any tax or declare anything?
Yeah, basically. Pretty sure unless you make over £12k gains on that £1k, you pay nothing. I'm not sure where General Investment sits with the £500 petty interest allowance tho.

Last edited:
I like the idea of guaranteed return, and compounding interest for 18 years is not too bad, but thinking about your comments I can see why ploughing in more cash at this stage might be unwise.

Thanks

Its guaranteed nominally, it will lose to inflation, but inflation acts slowly, which is why traditionally the older you are the more bonds/cash. You dont have time to recover from stock market crashes, while you are dependent on that money.

Most people cannot stomach volatility, that is why its important to research, even though i've told you the simple steps, the market will crash 50%, and you will panic and sell. This is what everyone does, The average investor returns far less than the market due to this.

I would do what platinum87 suggests. That said, I probably wouldn't move the whole lot of existing cash into a fund tomorrow. I would probably drip feed it in over a year or so to average out the price I'm buying in at and avoid accidentally buying in at the top of the market.

Over long periods of time, the differences in lump sum or averaging in are basically non-existent. So you can do either way, but i read from him he cant do this, in which case, there is no issue transfering it all at once.. Dont be upset if you happen to have worst possible timing, wont matter in 10 years

Hi all,
I have £20,000 to put in an ISA (I haven't used my allowance this year). Unlikely I'll need to use it for around 1 year, but maybe the year after I will buy a house (rental/move into etc) so would be useful for a deposit.
I was thinking about putting it in the 1 year 4.25% with virgin money, the penalty to withdraw is 60 days interest (about £140), any thoughts on that?
or, put £1000 in stocks and shares with nutmeg for the £100 bonus and the rest in the cash ISA...

Hi all,
I have £20,000 to put in an ISA (I haven't used my allowance this year). Unlikely I'll need to use it for around 1 year, but maybe the year after I will buy a house (rental/move into etc) so would be useful for a deposit.
I was thinking about putting it in the 1 year 4.25% with virgin money, the penalty to withdraw is 60 days interest (about £140), any thoughts on that?
or, put £1000 in stocks and shares with nutmeg for the £100 bonus and the rest in the cash ISA...
Sounds sensible. Avoid S&S for the bulk of it for obvious reasons. We are all taking a punt on Nutmeg and the 100 quid, hopefully the markets don't implode lol.

Do you guys have a fair chunk in your Chase savings, Im one of them persons who is a little hesitant to put lots into an app based only account, as Im so used to using high street banking, along with the online, but its my first time using app only banking.
I know technically there is no difference, its just you can't pop into your local hughstreet bank to sort any issue out.

Do you guys have a fair chunk in your Chase savings, Im one of them persons who is a little hesitant to put lots into an app based only account, as Im so used to using high street banking, along with the online, but its my first time using app only banking.
I know technically there is no difference, its just you can't pop into your local hughstreet bank to sort any issue out.
No but I do have a significant amount in Chip which is the same setup, no worries here as it's all covered as per a traditional account.

Chase is owned by J.P. Morgan and protected by the FSCS promise.

Not all app-based banks are the same, e.g. I wouldn't put my life savings into Revolut but Chase is a major bank

Back
Top Bottom