Best savings account?

I agree its protected but does seem a bit off to go with a basically failing bank. Probably a right faff to get your cash back too.
Its automatic. But its more spreading fear almost cements the issue of a 'failing bank'. It'd probably be swallowed up by a big bank in some botched deal anyway rather than failing.

Its automatic. But its more spreading fear almost cements the issue of a 'failing bank'. It'd probably be swallowed up by a big bank in some botched deal anyway rather than failing.

In theory you are correct.
But when an institution starts to fail and there's a rush by everyone to pull thier money out it can snowball pretty quickly.

Look at Northern rock.. People queuing up at cash machines running dry..Well not dry but certain people couldn't get thier own money on demand.

And now look at our current government...

I wouldn't risk it for 0.3% extra.

That's how banks and a lot of different types of investments work.. It's all hype but if you need your money quickly and 'bank says no' you're stuffed.

Last edited:
Yeah, my nationwide is 8% but max £200 a month deposits.

I have some in Barclays rainy day and Santander which is 5.08%
Yeah I have a bunch of them to encourage me to save each month.

BTW, the Santander limited edition saver is 5.2% AER even on monthly. It just says 5.08% when that's the gross amount and Santander themselves don't know that gross =/= AER on monthly interest accounts.

someone here mentioned a lloyds account @6.25% can't find that now , any other recommended saver accounts for one year fixed
Will have a look. If it went I must have just got in.

It is still there. Only good if you want to drip feed 400ppm. Which is great for me as it's my holiday money account.

Last edited:
I've got £85k to put somewhere short term and wanted easy access and monthly interest, so went with Metro and their 5.22% yesterday.

Just relying on the FSCS being hassle free :p

I've got £85k to put somewhere short term and wanted easy access and monthly interest, so went with Metro and their 5.22% yesterday.

I may go for this myself as I have similar money wise.

Did you find anything else at a higher rate with limited/no access for a year?

I was hoping it would last more than a couple of days!

:p

If the ISAs are dropping can I quickly get on a higher rate one ? I want ideally a pay monthly ISA account which I can stick maybe £10k in to in a lump and build from there, should be able open up but I don't want to dump all the 10k in until Dec payday?

What's the best flexible montly atm? If I open one now how long will the ?.

Wondering if I should stick it in metro Bank or zopa or

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom