Best savings account?

Soldato
If my limited understanding is correct the new rules (April 24) allow multiple ISAs to be paid into in the same year as long as the total paid into all ISAs doesn’t exceed the annual limit, but I believe your example would also be acceptable under the current rules - if they weren’t changing in April :)

I don’t think buying and selling within an ISA counts towards the limit.

I’m not a financial advisor and this is not financial advice (I have watched a few YouTube videos).

I think that's correct, as long as you don't put more than 20k into any isa in the same tax year.

I don’t think buying and selling within an ISA counts towards the limit.

It doesn't, but not all ISAs are 'flexible', with flexible ones you can take money out and put back in, as long as you don't exeed the 20k total over all, so if you take 10k out of one, you can put that 10k into another if it's a 'flexible' ISA?

Soldato
has that changed at some point over the years?. I am almost certain that at least in the past if you take money out of an isa it CANT be replaced...... even in the same year..
I may be wrong and perhaps this has changed....?

Man of Honour
has that changed at some point over the years?. I am almost certain that at least in the past if you take money out of an isa it CANT be replaced...... even in the same year..
The question appears to be regarding selling and buying shares within the ISA which is allowed.

This video is worth a watch.

Soldato

That was the case with cash ISA's but it changed in 2016 with the introduction of flexible ISAs, where you can withdraw cash and replace it within the same tax year. Not all ISAs are flexible though.

Rules are changing again this year when you will be able to have multiple ISAs of the same type, which should help competition with rates.

Soldato
ahh ok thanks, I consider myself schooled then. I always assumed (and i know what they say about assume) flexible just meant you didnt take a hit on your interest, rather than it not affecting your max allowance.

good to know, many thanks.

as an aside... i almost dropped a bit of a clanger last night. I didnt think i had used this years ISA and was going to open one and mostly fill it. it is a good job i didnt as it seems i did open on in August last year.

Am not sure what the probability of getting caught out is by opening multiple isas.......... but i dont fancy having some sort of HMRC audit.

maybe i will buy some premium bonds instead. both my parents have their full allowence in those and they are doing ok out of them, tax free as well, plus with the added interest of the lottery like possibility of winning big.

Last edited:
Soldato
With regards to standard savings accounts (taxable) if your a high tax rate payer. I think anything you save in a savings account would be taxed on anything over £10k.

Correct ?

When do they tax you? Monthly/ annually And also what % ? 20 or 40? ? Do they base it on how much you have in that account at that time.?

Man of Honour
With regards to standard savings accounts (taxable) if your a high tax rate payer. I think anything you save in a savings account would be taxed on anything over £10k.

Correct ?

When do they tax you? Monthly/ annually And also what % ? 20 or 40? ? Do they base it on how much you have in that account at that time.?
any interest over £500 is taxed at 40%, through your tax code AFAIK.

Caporegime

Correct ?

You're taxed on the interest above 500 (for a 40pc tax band)

So if you earn 600 in interest in the UK tax year the 100 over gets hit for 40pc tax.

My interest this tax year is about 480.
I've been careful not to go over 500

Last edited:
Soldato
No, you are taxed on the interest in the year you can access it, others detailed above. The £10k rule is if you earn over £10k in interest in any tax year you have to file a self assessment.

Last edited:
Soldato

Correct ?

If you have to do an annual self assessment then you will need to put in any interest earned on savings, following which you will be asked to pay the Taxman after submission of the self assessment.

Back
Top Bottom