best SSD?

Soldato
Cool, cheers guys. Seen on another 495/95mb read/write and on ocuk 550/220. Is this because of the firmware that is on ocuk link?

Yes. I bought an M4 and the difference it made is fantastic. Don't worry too much about write speeds. For my mind once everythings installed its all about the read speeds. I went for the M4 as it is tried, tested and has really good support. If I had to buy again tomorrow, M4. Though the new Samsung 830 could test my resolve.........

Associate
I'm also going to be getting myself the M4 for my upcoming new build.

I was wondering though, is there any and difference in performance between the standard model and the newer slim version that's out?

Soldato
Well, I owned an X25-M 80GB for two years that never let me down, a Vertex 3 120GB for 2 weeks that died, and now an M4 128GB that is running well.

According to benchmarks, the Vertex 3 was fastest, the M4 next and finally the X25-M. For my real-world use they all felt exactly the same. SATA III makes very little difference unless you are reading/writing very large file sizes, so the most important thing is latency. What the X25-M loses to the Vertex and M4, it seems to make up for with much lower latencies.

X25-M
Pro's: Low latency, bullet proof, great software (SSD Toolbox) and support for multiple Operating Systems.
Cons: SATAII read speeds and sub 100Mbits writes

Vertex 3
Pro's: Very fast read and writes.
Cons: Dismal life expectany.

M4
Pro's: Almost as fast as the Vertex 3. Appears to have good reliability.
Cons: Lack of software for manual TRIM or Secure Erase.

Out of the 3, I actually prefer my old X25-M. As performance feels identical between all of them on a SATAIII mobo, the only seperators are reliability and software. The Corsair is much more likely to fail than the other two, yet Intel has by far the best software (manual TRIM, Secure Erase and diagnostics are easy). The M4 may be faster on paper, but it does not feel anywhere near to a generation infront of the X25-M.

So, my advice for anyone looking for a good value SSD is to buy a used Intel X25-M. They can be had very cheap, are plenty fast enough for an OS drive, and have cast iron reliability.

Soldato
Sorry, but I wouldn't buy any second hand hard drive. It's one of the few items I wouldn't even consider second hand.
I believe most SSD's are worry free to buy, because there are plenty of tools that can show true usage, health and life expectancy. Intel's SSDToolbox for example shows all of this and more.

I think that mechanical hdd's (new and used) are much more of a risk than decent SSD's, especially if they have been through the postal system a few times.

...and I would take a used and abused X25M or M4 before a new Vertex / Agility 3 anyday.

Soldato
No current SSD has a 'dismal life expectancy' I think that's just plain wrong.

The difference between SSDs is the firmware used, and the NAND used, how good the company is at getting firmware sorted and how good the software is.

OCZ have historically by far had the best access to firmware, and Intel's toolbox is the best software.

Cheaper SSDs use async NAND, more expensive use sync and the top end use toggle. The current controller of choice is Sandforce, which is used in most SSDs.

In all honesty though... the only difference is in benchmarks. You won't feel the difference in normal use.

If I was to buy one I'd look at the cheapest one for the capacity I wanted, and then see what special offers were around so I could judge the cost to step up.

At the moment there's a good price on Corsair Force 60GB, on Intel 180GB and on Samsung 256GB. Even still though, the cheapest is probably the best option in each case, even if it's just a few quid difference, you honestly won't be able to tell.

As far as warranty goes... between year 3 and 5 failure is very unlikely, but should you still have the drive in 3 years time it'll cost a very small amount to replace it with something way way better, so 5 year warranties are of very limited use.

Associate
Samsung 830, was going to go for m4 but checked out reviews of 830 and seems its all in house components. Its an evolution of the 470 which had the best reliability of all ssd. Now the speeds are up there with the best so no reason to have it in you short list.

Back
Top Bottom