Best strategy games of the decade?

Soldato
EuIV and HOIV here too. 8000 hours between them points to some serious strategy.

Amen :)
Especially EU4 has so many options to play. Currently I am on Butua campaign, after everyone was impressed by this African Prussia at the EU4 Lan Party.

Next game going to be Jianzhu to Manchu. When we were given this country at the event, the AI had made it a republic :(
Had it been horde, as initially is, or Kingdom (convert to horde) we could have gone for Mandate and burn everything all way to Europe.

Man of Honour
Amen :)
Especially EU4 has so many options to play. Currently I am on Butua campaign, after everyone was impressed by this African Prussia at the EU4 Lan Party.

Next game going to be Jianzhu to Manchu. When we were given this country at the event, the AI had made it a republic :(
Had it been horde, as initially is, or Kingdom (convert to horde) we could have gone for Mandate and burn everything all way to Europe.

I've never played a Chinese faction can you believe that? I'm currently Bengal, which is interesting. Indian nations are good fun, but I fancy a Chinese nation next. Recommendations?

Soldato
I've never played a Chinese faction can you believe that? I'm currently Bengal, which is interesting. Indian nations are good fun, but I fancy a Chinese nation next. Recommendations?
Jianzhu to Manchu to Qin

Also Korea is nice with the September update but nothing comparable to the above. With Korea if you grab Exploration - Expansion ideas you can colonize the Americas before even the Europeans.

And country that worth to play in Africa is Butua. Starts are 2 province minor vassal but before the end of the 15th century can control a huger chunk of sub Saharan Africa.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nobody has mentioned it so far, but battlefleet gothic armada (both of them) are excellent strategy games. The second one has a much better campaign and generally adds to the first in every way.

Highly recommend it (if you like wh40k then it's a no brainer)

Soldato
apart from all the usual supsects that have been mentioned i am gonna put in a mention for battleforge.

that game was just fun and it was online only and the servers are down now but theres a fanbased project that has brought it back :)

edit: world at war was pretty good :)

Soldato
For me nothing comes close to Xcom and Xcom2 if turn based strategy games are what you're after. Other strategy games I'd recomend from this decade are Starcraft 2, Valkyria Chronicles and FTL.

For a slightly more obscure choice I'd also recommend Duskers which is pretty unique in that it's an RTS game controlled entirely by keyboard commands and has a wonderfully stylised aliens/horror vibe to it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/254320/Duskers/

Associate
Lots of good games mentioned, picked up battletech with all dlc few weeks back and can not put it down.

decent story driven campaign, story missions plus random missions with lots of different variety, challenging missions. For example intel can show a easy mission but turns out to be a trap (long war esq)

You are free to go off and ignore campaign if you wish and build up your merc company. Loads of mechs from battletech universe, set 25 years before the clan invasion of your into the lore.

Also check out battle brothers in winter sale, really tough game. Random world generator, end game crisis. Set in medieval fantasy time.

You gotta build your merc company up from various different starts. Peasant militia, bandits, hedge knight etc.

Good looting system, some of the battle are solid which require you to use different tactics.

For example undead keep rising but if you chop their heads off they stay down. Goblins have low moral so break if you kill a few etc.

some battle can be irritating as some of the monsters are op, and can wipe you out if not careful.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Grand strategy goes to EU4 easily for me. Best multiplayer RTS has to be HoI4 though for the sheer amount of micro required to get the most from it.

Soldato
Phoenix Point, Battletech....

I loved Julian Gollops games back in the day so definitely need to check out phoenix point when I get a chance but the early reviews were a bit mixed.

Not really heard much about battletech but it looks interesting. I've struggled to get into mech games in the past though.

Soldato
What is FA?

FA = Forged Alliance

Battle tech looks so so boring

Its surprisingly good IMO. Picked it up to scratch the itch after XCOM 2 and had a blast with it. Campaign is very so so, but combat, abilities, getting right lance etc all do make it fun. Worth picking up at least for initial punt on a sale if you liked XCOM etc, just refund it after around 2 hours if you dont imo.

Back
Top Bottom