Best VR for Sim racing

Associate
Hi,

Just wondering what the best VR headset is for sim racing primarily iRacing and Assetto Corsa.

Dunno if my machine spec matters but
its 16GB Ram, I7 processor and RTX 2070 graphics card.

Any help is great want to try to invest in one once and do it right.

Thank you

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Seems to be either the Rift S or HP Reverb. The upcoming Valve is expected to be rather good, but until I've seen reviews from someone who we're confident is genuinely independent, then I'm saying nothing.

From what I've read, the Reverb is top dog on visual fidelity, but then is also pushing a LOT of pixels. Whether a 2070 is capable of running AC or similar, I've no idea.
My suggestion is that you base your decision on whether you don't mind throwing even more cash at a new GPU if your 2070 can't hit the FPS. If tests are showing it needs a 2080, then the Rift S seems to be the obvious choice.

Soldato
Seems to be either the Rift S or HP Reverb. The upcoming Valve is expected to be rather good, but until I've seen reviews from someone who we're confident is genuinely independent, then I'm saying nothing.

From what I've read, the Reverb is top dog on visual fidelity, but then is also pushing a LOT of pixels. Whether a 2070 is capable of running AC or similar, I've no idea.
My suggestion is that you base your decision on whether you don't mind throwing even more cash at a new GPU if your 2070 can't hit the FPS. If tests are showing it needs a 2080, then the Rift S seems to be the obvious choice.
You can just adjust the resolution scale for lower end cards.

Wouldnt buy any at the moment as both HMDs seem to be experiencing 'problems'.

Associate
Assetto Corsa and Iracing both run at 1.4 ss absolutely fine with my clocked 1080 on a rift cv1 so I think you would be absolutely fine . I am tempted by both the index and the rift s myself but the audio solution on the rift s seems like a downgrade from the cv1 and would mean wearing my headphones which is just an inconvenience I have to weigh up I suppose.

Caporegime
Absolutely love Project Cars with my CV1 (4790, 16Gb, 1080ti) smashes whatever I throw at it VR wise. :)

Given CV1’s are so cheap (especially on the Members market here) I’d be loathe to spend nigh double the price on new.

Associate
If you're planning to use your own audio I'd be tempted to go with the rift s , I can't go back to flat screen for sim racing it's a complete game changer.

Soldato
Rift S for rtx2070, Reverb if you plan to upgrade your gpu. I've tried both and 1080ti just about cuts it with Reverb - mostly 90fps in Assetto and rFactor2 with most settings high. RiftS is good too, but it's no Reverb that is virtually screendoor free.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Rift S for rtx2070, Reverb if you plan to upgrade your gpu. I've tried both and 1080ti just about cuts it with Reverb - mostly 90fps in Assetto and rFactor2 with most settings high. RiftS is good too, but it's no Reverb that is virtually screendoor free.

Borsch>
That's interesting. Any clue as to how DCS would run on a Reverb? I'm guessing like a dog unless you have a 2080ti, or run it in much lower res.

Soldato
Borsch>
That's interesting. Any clue as to how DCS would run on a Reverb? I'm guessing like a dog unless you have a 2080ti, or run it in much lower res.
It is not too bad, surprisingly. With my 8700k, 1080ti I get this:
42fps here
Untitled.jpg

Settings:
Untitled2.jpg

Steam resolution settings default at 150% = around 2000x2000 pixels per eye
However, 2080ti would be better and much preferred with DCS. IL2, Assetto, rFactor2 (looks great in VR btw) are all fine with 1080ti - i.e. run at (mostly) 90fps at high settings. My personal conclusion was that with my hardware and preference for seated VR there is no point in RiftS - as good as it is.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Oooh, that's interesting. Better frame rate than I was expecting, certainly so with those settings, particularly x4 MSAA. VERY nice.
Especially so when we're expecting that VR improvement soon.

Does it run fluidly at 40fps?

The RS with ASW locked in place for 40fps seems to be rock solid and very fluid. I'm currently running a 1080, meaning that with the expected "50%", I'd roughly have the same frame rates that you're currently achieving.

Soldato
Yep, it certainly exceeded my expectations performance wise. 40fps are not as smooth as on RiftS since Reverb's native freq is 90Hz, not 80 like with the S. Need 45fps for comparable smoothness - hence the 2080ti yearnings :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Yep, it certainly exceeded my expectations performance wise. 40fps are not as smooth as on RiftS since Reverb's native freq is 90Hz, not 80 like with the S. Need 45fps for comparable smoothness - hence the 2080ti yearnings :)

Sounds like you've had a good side by side with them.
Is the Reverb really that much better visually in DCS? That's the impression I'm getting.

Soldato
It's all subjective of course, I felt that CV1 to S was the bigger jump, also Reverb's colours aren't as good as either of the Oculi. But definition wise Reverb is the clear winner.

EDIT: Just ran Rfactor2 Formula2 at Montreal in RiftS and Reverb back-to-back... and no, there is no going back to the Rifts, in fact I may take back that CV1 to S was the bigger jump :)

Last edited:
Soldato
but only on a monitor, in VR it's poor (bad performance and very poor clarity

If you've the 2080ti and a i7/i9 9k series cpu it's fantastic though. The last couple of patches have smoothed it out to the same level of fluidity as AC or indeed Pcars with a 20+ field of AI.

Pcars is still the sharper engine in terms of looks in VR, but to term ACC as only a monitor game is misleading when it performs fantastic if you've the hardware to have it perform.

I hope on the Index it performs to the same levels, ill shout it out on the weekend.

Associate
Im using Rift CV1 and have up scaled to 2.0 pixels using Oculus Tray Tool. Depends on if your system can handle it. Im used to gaming on 4k, so did notice a drop in quality. However the experience is amazing and im happy to sacrifice the picture quality for that :)

Back
Top Bottom