Best VR for Sim racing

Soldato
If you've the 2080ti and a i7/i9 9k series cpu it's fantastic though. The last couple of patches have smoothed it out to the same level of fluidity as AC or indeed Pcars with a 20+ field of AI.

Pcars is still the sharper engine in terms of looks in VR, but to term ACC as only a monitor game is misleading when it performs fantastic if you've the hardware to have it perform.
My go to VR racers are the original Assetto Corsa and rFactor2, so they are my benchmarks for looking clear and running at 90fps (the latter is vital for car feel and precision driving imho, not sure if pCars2 can run at 90? Never tried it at as I'm a "super-duper realistic simulator master race" snob :D ).

ACC has some fundamental issues with its resolution in VR. I've linked the thread in the official forums in my post above so you'll see all the discussion there, but here is a picture that speaks a thousand words (taken by threadstarter with 9900K and 2080ti):

Identical graphics settings, monitor output on the left, VR mirror (also monitor, not even through the lens pic) on the right
unknown.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
That's the fella with the Vive Pro. He admitted to me in the steam forum that it does run and look good on a OG Vive at high settings on steams 2.0 render scale. One of the reasons I have some hesitation running it through the more demanding Index. I have it running and looking good on a sweet spot, tipping the balance might not go so well.

Either way though, I only responded because I can't see the logic in calling it unplayable in VR, it simply isn't true.

Soldato
He's using HP Reverb (like me :)). Although I've also tried ACC in my Rift CV1 and the RiftS when I had it - same result. It always looks much-much blurrier than the older Assetto Corsa/rFactor2. All while running at way below 90fps (more like 60-45). All with Steam's render target scale set to 2.0 and on Win10 1809 version, not the bugged 1903... So not unplayable per se, but rather not worth playing when it looks worse and runs worse than the older competitors. This is in VR, I stress- on the monitor ACC is sublime, the absolute best GT3 driving experience imo and looks gorgeous to boot.

Soldato
Ive purchased PCars2. So this is also good in VR hopefully?
Bought a wheel and pcars2 less than 2 weeks ago. All I can say is 'Why didn't I do this earlier?'

Pretty demanding in VR so I have had to turn a lot of settings down to keep a stable 90fps with the 1080ti. Also picked up some other racing titles and might get even more in the steam sale. Awesome fun! :p

Soldato
Also picked up some other racing titles and might get even more in the steam sale.
rFactor2 is well worth trying, for historic racing if nothing else. Hay bales, spectacular crashes with fire and smoke, telephone poles whooshing along the road of historic Spa... Quite an experience in VR :)
Its AI is known to be the best in business too, it will attack and defend mixing different lines.

RF2 is ACC's antipode graphics wise - does not look too hot on the monitor, but somehow transforms nicely in VR. The picture is clear and runs at 90fps most of the time at max settings. Physics and force feedback are top notch, rF2 being one of the "big 3" consumer simulations - iRacing, AC and rF2. Max Verstappen used to spend 3-4 hours a day in rF2 to give you just one endorsement https://youtu.be/B78gNu9ZqRY?t=204

Last edited:
Soldato
Did you book a three year leave to go with all that? :)

One other car I'd recommend to try in VR in rF2 is Formula2, its simple cockpit really speaks to me somehow - the little glass windscreen with splattered bugs is hyperreal, plus I love how this car slides on the limit.
With that being said, historic racing at Spa'1966 is the star attraction of rF2 for me still.

Associate
rFactor2 is well worth trying, for historic racing if nothing else. Hay bales, spectacular crashes with fire and smoke, telephone poles whooshing along the road of historic Spa... Quite an experience in VR :)
Its AI is known to be the best in business too, it will attack and defend mixing different lines.

RF2 is ACC's antipode graphics wise - does not look too hot on the monitor, but somehow transforms nicely in VR. The picture is clear and runs at 90fps most of the time at max settings. Physics and force feedback are top notch, rF2 being one of the "big 3" consumer simulations - iRacing, AC and rF2. Max Verstappen used to spend 3-4 hours a day in rF2 to give you just one endorsement https://youtu.be/B78gNu9ZqRY?t=204
Just watched this and wow, so cool, never played rf2 need to check this out.

Back
Top Bottom