Best way to dispose of mattress?

Permabanned
What do mods do on this forum, drink vodka all night?

Obvious spammer posts an obvious advert on a ten year old thread, a bunch of noobs follow on blindly and the silly skank's advert is still sitting there?

WTF? lock the thread FFS

Soldato
get some bolt cutters and just rip the fabric off , cut all the bit's of metal into manageable pieces and stick it in a bin bag?

I once stuck a TV in a bin bag surrounded by cardboard and it got taken away lol. (about 10 years ago though I wouldn't do it these days)

We put an old 14" tv in our wheely bin and they took it.

Caporegime
We put an old 14" tv in our wheely bin and they took it.

well my refuge wasn't collected b the council and we didn't have actual bins so everything just went into bin bags and got dumped in a bin shed.

someone must have picked it up and realised something wasn't right but took it anyway :D

it weighed so much I was worried the bag might split lol

Soldato
This thread should be kept open until the OP tells us how he actually disposed of his mattress tbh, just delete marymary's post.Also what mattress disposal firm uses computer forums as advertising lol.

Caporegime
What do mods do on this forum, drink vodka all night?

Obvious spammer posts an obvious advert on a ten year old thread, a bunch of noobs follow on blindly and the silly skank's advert is still sitting there?

WTF? lock the thread FFS

Did you RTM the spambot?

It might not have been a serious suggestion but I generally dispose of large items by cutting them up and putting them in the wheelie bins piece by piece.

Caporegime
£40!!.....no wonder people just dump them on the street....

well I'm sure there are places that will take your old one for free when you buy a new one.

If a website does not offer a service such as this and I need ti dispose of whatever I am replacing then I will look elsewhere for one that does even if it's £10 extra,

white goods however you can usually find someone in your area who will take them for free, often they will have a facebook page.

Soldato
I've checked my local authority and they'll do it for £40 which is a ridiculous amount for one thing!

No it's not once you consider the costs. A truck which eats up a gallon of fuel per mile, an HGV driver and a loader and importantly the disposal costs and landfill taxes they have to pay.

I work in waste disposal for an LA, we pick up beds and mattresses and other bulky items for free but I wish we didn't. I don't believe the council should be responsible everything a resident fancies sprucing up their house. Our system is (IMO) abused to the point people are getting us to pick up small items like computer monitors they could easily stick in their boot and take to the dump themselves.

£40!!.....no wonder people just dump them on the street....

Which is why our management insist we pick them up for free. But the main reason in my experience is laziness not cost, we STILL get them dumped in the street despite offering a free collection service just because some people can't be bothered waiting the 10 day lead time we offer.

I've got a double mattress in a small hatch back before, just lay down the back seats and fold the mattress in half. Go to the dump, problem solved.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom